MCAT verbal

Started by jcopper
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jcopper

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am taking a Kaplan class, and I have found the verbal strategy to be pretty useless. I tried it on a couple of practice tests after my diagnostic and my score went down (to a 6). I have been trying examkrackers and I have still been scoring in the 7-8 range. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can raise my score? I am taking the MCAT in about a month and I am starting to panic a little bit.

Thanks!
 
There are lots of things you can do to increase your score. First, when you read, focus on the main idea. Most of the questions, and especially the difficult ones, require you to understand it. Second, try mixing up your technique. You can look to the questions before you start, so you know which details to concentrate on while you read. Three, figure out your patterns. What types of passages or questions give you the most trouble. When you encounter these, you can modify how you approach them to avoid falling into the same traps. Fourth, you have to practice. Do passages every day, and full-length tests regularly. Then spend the next day going over what you got wrong and figuring out why. You can bring your score up, but it requires a lot of effort. Good luck!