MCAT while enrolled in Orgo II and Biology class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in order to apply for medical school on time (something I'm hoping to do, but I haven't ruled out taking a year off), I would have to take the MCAT in the spring of next year at the end, while still being enrolled in Organic chem II and a biology course. I will have finished all my prerequisites besides these two classes by then. I plan on taking a Kaplan class this semester as well- would it be a dumb idea to try for the MCAT before having finished these classes? The reason I don't want to take the MCAT in the summer is because I hear your at a huge disadvantage to apply that late...

Members don't see this ad.

Nope; you'll be fine. I don't think there's much orgo II on there at all. Just make sure you have time to study. FYI, plenty of people took the MCAT in May or June last year and had no problem getting in if the rest of their applications were strong.

How would that be applying late? Yeah if you take it in August that's late but if you take it at the end of april/beginning of may, you will get your score just in time to start applying when most schools start accepting applications (beginning of june) thats exactly what im doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
in order to apply for medical school on time (something I'm hoping to do, but I haven't ruled out taking a year off), I would have to take the MCAT in the spring of next year at the end, while still being enrolled in Organic chem II and a biology course. I will have finished all my prerequisites besides these two classes by then. I plan on taking a Kaplan class this semester as well- would it be a dumb idea to try for the MCAT before having finished these classes? The reason I don't want to take the MCAT in the summer is because I hear your at a huge disadvantage to apply that late...

Since the MCAT is offered through most of the year...you really aren't even late if you decide to take it in June. Still gives you plenty of time to apply and get into school.

I wouldn't worry about ORGO II or biology, especially if you are studying through a test prep program (FYI ---the MCAT is probably more about the studying you put into it on your own than it is what they will teach you in any class).

Late would be submitting your AMCAS any time after the middle of August I think. Ideally you would submit in June or early July. But the process is very long and as long as your application is in the que before the fall semester starts, you should be ok. If you have poor stats though...you may want to start as early as possible.

I think you're fine. Taking it with Orgo II and a relevant bio class (genetics or something) might actually help you study. Don't get me wrong though, your life is going to suck regardless.