MCAT Worries and Podiatry Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayNight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new here to SDN. However, I am not new to the world of Podiatry :)!!! I recently took the MCAT and I am now in the midst of the 30 day wait period!!! I am currently freaking out because my practice test scores were borderline for admissions into the Podiatry School that I wish to attend. With that being said, I found out the hard way how difficult the REAL MCAT is compared to the practice one's and to be honest it is disheartening! I have always wanted to be a Podiatrist! I know this is what I want to do. Anyways, I wanted to know a few things from people that have been through this process already or who are currently in it. With that being said here are the questions....THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

1. Even though I have some doubts about my performance on the MCAT should I still submit my primary application?

2. Anyone experience any pleasant surprises when checking their MCAT score?

Once again thank you all for your comments in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All! I'm new here to SDN. However, I am not new to the world of Podiatry :)!!! I recently took the MCAT and I am now in the midst of the 30 day wait period!!! I am currently freaking out because my practice test scores were borderline for admissions into the Podiatry School that I wish to attend. With that being said, I found out the hard way how difficult the REAL MCAT is compared to the practice one's and to be honest it is disheartening! I have always wanted to be a Podiatrist! I know this is what I want to do. Anyways, I wanted to know a few things from people that have been through this process already or who are currently in it. With that being said here are the questions....THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

1. Even though I have some doubts about my performance on the MCAT should I still submit my primary application?

2. Anyone experience any pleasant surprises when checking their MCAT score?

Once again thank you all for your comments in advance!!!

First off...Welcome :D...Yes, the dreaded MCAT is a %$^*:mad:, & this will be the LONGEST 30 days ever...:laugh:....My score actually took 33 days so u can imagine how I could have felt...

Anyway, if you already have sufficient coursework completed/LOR's ready/transcripts ready/etc/-----and if you're READY, I don't see the harm in atleast getting the application ready.....BUT......I wouldn't e-submit it until you get your scores back.....that way, your application will be complete...U can always note in the app. that u are going to retake....It takes TIME to send AACPMAS OFFICIAL transcripts, LOR's verified, input of ALL your classes, etc---so u might as well get ready...

Remember that you are still EARLY b/c the cycle just opened up a week ago or so.....So, just relax & give your brain a cool-down, then in about a week or so, get BACK to studying so u don't forget all your MCAT knowledge incase u need to retake....Better safe than sorry.....

I wish u well :xf:

To answer part 2 of your question; no, there are not too many people that have pleasant suprises when they see their actual MCAT score. In general, the actual score is about 3-5 less than the aamc practice exams (just using my peers and my own experience as a reference). But, as allenmarchallo said, it is still early in the cycle. What does that mean for you? If this is what you really want to do, there is no reason that you can't get here. Go ahead an apply; you can always get in on a conditional acceptance, and it will not be held against you if you score low. You will simply be asked to take it again. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't get your hopes up, because it doesn't seem like many people are pleasantly surprised, but I was absolutely stunned with my scores. It may have been that I convinced myself I got a 16J (I DIDN'T! :) ) during the 30 day waiting period the first time, but I was absolutely thrilled when I saw my scores. Also, I did better than I did on practice exams, but I didn't take any actual aamc tests, only examkrackers (I thought the physical science sections were way too hard) and princeton review (PR was a waste of time, I got some pretty horrible scores on their practice tests, mostly because the questions and answers didn't line up and there were some passages without questions that I wasted time on - that was on their online program)

Basically, don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do now but wait, try not to think about it! (or do what I did, convince yourself you got a super low score and you'll be pretty happy when you didn't!)

Allenmarchallo: thank you so much for the advice. is there a reason you suggest that i hold out on e-submitting my application? it seems like the consensus on SDN from previous post has been that you could submit it anyway and get a conditional acceptance that requires me to take the mcat again and receive a certain score that they would want. can you give me your thoughts on the pro's and con's of this? thank you so much!

Dropfoot: yea...i'm starting to realize that not too many people get surprises and that usually AAMC's practice test are +/- 1 or 2 your actual score. hopefully i am the lucky one and scores 2 points above my AAMC averages and maybe, just maybe if i'm lucky 3 points. thanks for your response!

Twinkle Toes: see!!!! you are my success story and the pleasant surprise! :D as i was taking my practice test i couldn't help but feel that i wasn't at my peak yet but i was too close to the test to troubleshoot and get a jump. with that being said, i did review and take a mental break from practice test and reviewed my weak areas before the exam hoping to get a jump when i took the actual exam. however, on test day the stuff that i reviewed was not even a huge part! i think that from birth, AAMC puts a chip in potential future dr.'s that tracks their strengths and weaknesses and then test them on their weaknesses!!!

Last edited:
Allenmarchallo: thank you so much for the advice. is there a reason you suggest that i hold out on e-submitting my application? it seems like the consensus on SDN from previous post has been that you could submit it anyway and get a conditional acceptance that requires me to take the mcat again and receive a certain score that they would want. can you give me your thoughts on the pro's and con's of this? thank you so much!

Well, thats true......If your overall package is pretty good, you CAN submit it now and possibly receive invites without your MCAT score...(I did it that way last year & had NO problems receiving interviews)

A 30 day wait for your MCAT scores won't lessen your chances for an interview at all.......However, if I had taken my MCAT sooner (like Sept. 08 instead of June 09)---I could've saved $$$ on the number of schools I applied to bc I was thinking I was gonna do "mediocre" on it......BUT.....If I had waited to submit, took the MCAT, received my scores, I could've limited my choice to just 1 or 2 instead of the (4) that I applied to....

Obviously, there is no problem just submitting it now, vs 30> days from now, but I'd personally rather have a complete application later, rather than an incomplete one now.....(but u can always update your scores)----but whenever u update stuff, u will delay your processing time...

Remember, you still gotta get your transcripts sent in to AACPMAS, LOR's ready, etc-----which also takes a couple of weeks to be verified.......So either way u decide-------go ahead & get started with that.......U really can't lose either way...

just got my results yesterday is 22O any good?

Says you are pre-medical under your sn...so no, 22O is horrible. However, it will get you in to several if not most pod schools. That being said, if you are an allopathic reject and have not done any research you may be miserable with your decision to apply to podiatry school. Just being honest...

no yea ive been seriously lookin at podiatry and am really leaning towards it...I kno 22O is no good for medicine but I was just owndering for podiatry. Ill rewrite it next summer anyways. would a good mcat score, say like 30, cover for a lower average?