mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did you guys study for the MCAT? Did you feel like that time was adequate?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did you guys study for the MCAT? Did you feel like that time was adequate?

I am assuming you haven't taken the MCAT yet. I actually studied for a whole month during the 2006 summer. I studied everyday for at least 8-10 hours(I also worked part-time). I definitely don't recommend this strategy of taking the MCAT. Even though I did fine on the MCAT, I could have done alot more better if I studied for a couple of months rather than just 1 month. Also take alot of practice exams and decipher what your weaknesses are. I think the trick is to not rush yourself onto the MCAT; only take it when your fully prepared. In addition, make sure you have enough endurance for the exam...I think I started to think of what Bar I wanted to go to during the Verbal section of the exam(this daydreaming episode ruined my Verbal Score).

i took a lighter semester course load in undergrad for the term i planned to take the MCAT. i think i only took 13 hours... whenever i had some spare time from those classes i would open up my mcat manual and go to town. Saturday and Sunday mornings i would wake up way before my friends ever did and take a practice test each day. by doing this i could still have my fun on the weekends and actually have something accomplished. I started studying at the beginning of a spring semester (january) and was prepared for the MCAT by may when i took the test. Just do practice test after practice test....because if you're takin the test, you know the material on it. the hard part is deciphering the answers apart from each other. good luck

I didn't take the MCAT until I graduated from undergrad. I took that whole summer to study. Kaplan/Princeton Review in my opinion are moneymakers. I have a friend who works Kaplan...we took anatomy and histology together and on top of that he was teaching MCAT prep- which he admitted he had no time for and only wanted to make money. He wasn't committed to his students, but you could have a different experience. I purchased a whole bunch of AAMC tests and went to work. Practice the test and test taking. I also used examcrackers for Biology- in my opinion that best source for this part of the exam.