MCC or UB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to UB but now I'm thinking of just going to Monroe Community College for 2 years and then applying to pharmacy schools. My goal would be to get in UB but I would be happy with others as well. I'm not going to a CC because I can't go elsewhere (I have a 92 avg. in highschool and a 1940 on my SAT's) but instead because I think it is a smart choice. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you think its a smart choice, please explain? Going to MCC may grant you some fiscal benefits, I took a quick look at tuition costs for MCC full time student (approximately $3200 yr. including fees), whereas UB will run approximately ($7000yr, maybe a bit more with fees). This is assuming your are a state resident. I'm not sure if you've looked around on this board, but there are current UB grads (4 yr degree) who have a 3.7+ GPA and 85+ PCAT score from UB, and STILL have not gotten into their pharmacy program. So you think by taking two years of prereqs at MCC will get you into UB? I highly doubt it, even with a 4.0 and 95 PCAT.
However, If you do have a stellar GPA and PCAT from MCC, you definately have a strong shot at plenty of other pharmacy schools, which is definately a viable option, and smart choice I think. I feel alot of pharmacy schools will be pushing for a 4yr degree antecedent to admission in the future, excluding early assurance students. I have a 4yr. degree myself from a different school, had tons of EC's, and have worked as a certified tech in both retail and hospital setting for 2 years. I was accepted to UB, but I definately think it's because of my post grad GPA, and especially my work experience.
Long story short, if you are deadset on attending UB, I would strongly suggest going there and entering in the early assurance program. If you are not deadset on UB, go to MCC, get knockout grades, perform strongly on your PCAT, GET A PHARMACY JOB, and you will have a strong chance of being accepted at other schools.

I was accepted to UB but now I'm thinking of just going to Monroe Community College for 2 years and then applying to pharmacy schools. My goal would be to get in UB but I would be happy with others as well. I'm not going to a CC because I can't go elsewhere (I have a 92 avg. in highschool and a 1940 on my SAT's) but instead because I think it is a smart choice. Any opinions?

Hi Zera. Please contact us for advisement. Thanks.

UB SoPPS Office of Admissions and Advisement

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think its a smart choice, please explain? Going to MCC may grant you some fiscal benefits, I took a quick look at tuition costs for MCC full time student (approximately $3200 yr. including fees), whereas UB will run approximately ($7000yr, maybe a bit more with fees). This is assuming your are a state resident. I'm not sure if you've looked around on this board, but there are current UB grads (4 yr degree) who have a 3.7+ GPA and 85+ PCAT score from UB, and STILL have not gotten into their pharmacy program. So you think by taking two years of prereqs at MCC will get you into UB? I highly doubt it, even with a 4.0 and 95 PCAT.
However, If you do have a stellar GPA and PCAT from MCC, you definately have a strong shot at plenty of other pharmacy schools, which is definately a viable option, and smart choice I think. I feel alot of pharmacy schools will be pushing for a 4yr degree antecedent to admission in the future, excluding early assurance students. I have a 4yr. degree myself from a different school, had tons of EC's, and have worked as a certified tech in both retail and hospital setting for 2 years. I was accepted to UB, but I definately think it's because of my post grad GPA, and especially my work experience.
Long story short, if you are deadset on attending UB, I would strongly suggest going there and entering in the early assurance program. If you are not deadset on UB, go to MCC, get knockout grades, perform strongly on your PCAT, GET A PHARMACY JOB, and you will have a strong chance of being accepted at other schools.

One more question. I understand now that my best bet to getting into UB is to go there for my pre-reqs and get into the early assurance program. You agree though that MCC is a good option? My parents want me to stay home for my first 2 years and I want to make sure MCC courses will be looked upon by pharmacy schools as the same rigour as courses at for example Fisher or Naz.

One more question. I understand now that my best bet to getting into UB is to go there for my pre-reqs and get into the early assurance program. You agree though that MCC is a good option? My parents want me to stay home for my first 2 years and I want to make sure MCC courses will be looked upon by pharmacy schools as the same rigour as courses at for example Fisher or Naz.

If you want to go to UB pharmacy, go to UB for undergrad. Schools will absolutely not look at classes from a community college as having the same rigor as a full four-year degree-granting program.

MCC is a good option if you plan on transferring to a four year school, completing a degree and then going to pharmacy school. Admissions are only becoming more difficult, and every little bit counts.

If you want to go to UB pharmacy, go to UB for undergrad. Schools will absolutely not look at classes from a community college as having the same rigor as a full four-year degree-granting program.

MCC is a good option if you plan on transferring to a four year school, completing a degree and then going to pharmacy school. Admissions are only becoming more difficult, and every little bit counts.

I know several people who have done their pre reqs at a CC and then have been accepted to pharmacy school. I am not concerned about that despite what you may think. I plan on doing well on the PCAT to prove that all CC grades are not inflated. Thanks anyways though.

I know several people who have done their pre reqs at a CC and then have been accepted to pharmacy school. I am not concerned about that despite what you may think. I plan on doing well on the PCAT to prove that all CC grades are not inflated. Thanks anyways though.

You asked for an opinion, I offered one. If you wanted people to tell you that you were making a fantastic decision, then that's what you should have asked for.

My point is this: you want to go to pharmacy school. You were offered admission to a school that has an early assurance program, yet you're choosing to take the more difficult path of applying through PharmCAS after two years, from a community college. It will be substantially more difficult to get into pharmacy school, and in my opinion, not worth the risk and potential opportunity cost.

You asked for an opinion, I offered one. If you wanted people to tell you that you were making a fantastic decision, then that's what you should have asked for.

My point is this: you want to go to pharmacy school. You were offered admission to a school that has an early assurance program, yet you're choosing to take the more difficult path of applying through PharmCAS after two years, from a community college. It will be substantially more difficult to get into pharmacy school, and in my opinion, not worth the risk and potential opportunity cost.

My original question was regarding UB and I accepted your claim that starting off at UB would be in my best interest. I meant no disrespect, all I was saying is that MCC is a respected CC and if I keep my grades up and have work experience I do not see why I would not be accepted to a school like Fisher. After all, that is why we take standardized tests. To prove what we know no matter where we went to school.

In retrospect, It would of been much more economical to go to a CC for two years, receive a great PCAT score, and still have gotten into pharmacy school. Instead, I didn't know what I wanted to do when I was 18, so ended up getting a four year degree, plus two years of pharm prereqs, now have gotten into pharmacy school. So, I think your in a great situation to save money, and get your pharmacy career started alot sooner than my unconventional route.
Some of these posters are right though. Aside from an early assurance program, a four-year degree trumps most any 2yr degree when put next to eachother. Also, with more competitive applicants each year, you want to put yourself in the best position possible. To be honest, if I were you, I would go to MCC, get an A in every class, Do well on on your PCAT, and get a pharmacy job while your in school. Then apply to pharmacy school, worst case scenario you don't get in, then just continue on to get your 4 yr. However, if you want to get into UB, enter into the early-assurance program. Lastly, I know of a few people who have gone to community colleges, done well on the PCAT, and have gotten into lecom,fisher,d'youville, etc with no problems.Good luck

I went to both schools and would recommend going straight to UB. My situation was quite different as I went to MCC for my associate's in nursing then decided I wanted to be a pharmacist and obtained a bachelor's in chemistry from UB. I am now starting the PharmD program at UB this fall. While MCC is a great school that is a great value I still would recommened getting your prereqs done at a 4 year school. Not because you will get a better education but because those grades will hold more weight with SOME admissions personnel. Also you are choosing between MCC and UB, not a private institution. If you were looking at a $20k a year difference then I might say go to MCC and save the money. However UB is VERY reasonably priced for undergrad work and well worth the extra money if for no other reason than to make yourself a better applicant.

Also like the UBSoPPS admin wrote you should contact them for more info. They really are very nice and helpful.

I went to both schools and would recommend going straight to UB. My situation was quite different as I went to MCC for my associate's in nursing then decided I wanted to be a pharmacist and obtained a bachelor's in chemistry from UB. I am now starting the PharmD program at UB this fall. While MCC is a great school that is a great value I still would recommened getting your prereqs done at a 4 year school. Not because you will get a better education but because those grades will hold more weight with SOME admissions personnel. Also you are choosing between MCC and UB, not a private institution. If you were looking at a $20k a year difference then I might say go to MCC and save the money. However UB is VERY reasonably priced for undergrad work and well worth the extra money if for no other reason than to make yourself a better applicant.

Also like the UBSoPPS admin wrote you should contact them for more info. They really are very nice and helpful.

Thanks for the advice. I'm also considering going to Fisher. Do you think I would have a good chance of being accepted to Fisher after two years at MCC. Assuming I keep my grades up and do well on the PCAT.

Also, how did you like MCC? Were your classes challenging or was it merely an extension of highschool. I'd really like to hear from someone who actually went there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm also considering going to Fisher. Do you think I would have a good chance of being accepted to Fisher after two years at MCC. Assuming I keep my grades up and do well on the PCAT.

Also, how did you like MCC? Were your classes challenging or was it merely an extension of highschool. I'd really like to hear from someone who actually went there.

I would not go to Fisher for undergraduate work. I was also accepted into their pharm program but turned them down for UB. I was very impressed with their PharmD program when I visited and would not discourage you from going there for pharmacy school. I have just heard from multiple sources that their chemistry department is subpar and I think that you would be at a disadvantage if you do not have a strong chemistry background going into pharm school.

Some MCC classes are a bit like high school. This is especially true of the entry level classes. However once you get to the uppper classes it is much better. The teachers are on par with what you get in four year schools it is just the students and their motivation, or lack of it, that is annoying in the entry level classes. If you are a hrad worker you can get a very good education at MCC however I think that your chances of getting into pharm school in only two years will be worse if your classes are at a community college. Pharm school is getting more and more competitive and you need every advantage you can get.