Mccqe1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US medical graduate from canada taking QE1 in May. Does anyone know how it compares in difficulty or topics to USMLE 1/2?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Canadian citizens who studied in the US, only had to do the LMCC instead of the MCCQUE. I was under the impression that we are treated the same as Canadian graduates in the Canadian matching process. Am I wrong?

shaydz said:
I thought Canadian citizens who studied in the US, only had to do the LMCC instead of the MCCQUE. I was under the impression that we are treated the same as Canadian graduates in the Canadian matching process. Am I wrong?

What is the 'MCCQUE'?

Do you mean the MCCQE Part I? You need to pass that and the MCCQE Part II to become a LMCC. The earliest you can take Part I is during your last year of medical school. You require 1 year of postgraduate training to take Part II.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I meant the MCCQE part I. On another site (med student forum) I read that Canadian citizens who have studied in the US do not need to take the MCCQE exams as they are only for IMGs who studied elsewhere (not the US). The US students only need to take the LMCC part I exam.

Here is the site:
http://p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm21.showMessage?topicID=333.topic

The questions were answered by the moderator of the site, so I assume it's most likely correct. Although...who knows...maybe its wrong.

What are your thoughts, and may I ask if you know of any other sites that state that the MCCQEs are required for US students (canadian citizens) who are trying to go back to Canada. Thanks.

You do NOT need to take the evaluating exam as a US grad. You take the same steps to obtain a residency as a Canadian grad but as a US grad you will obviously have less support from your school's administration as they do not know much about the Canadian match. It will be up to you to research the programs you want to apply to, setting up registration in carms, etc.

pianist said:
I'm a US medical graduate from canada taking QE1 in May. Does anyone know how it compares in difficulty or topics to USMLE 1/2?
thanks

The difficulty is most probably similar to Step 2, but the content seems to be similar to Step 3. The Toronto Notes (published by University of Toronto) is what most students use to study for the Q1 exam. There are practice questions available on the mcc website.

A.

Hi:

I am deciding on whether to go to Tufts or McGill(Montreal) for my premed (undergrad). Tufts is $ 44,000 a year and McGill is $ 21,000 per yr. Both have good reputations.

However some folks have told me that iit is very hard to get into a US medical school if I have a degree from a Canadian University. Is this true?

Also will it be hard for a US citizen to get into a Canadian medical school?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated as money is an issue.

Suzanne H.

Suzanne Hutton said:
Hi:

I am deciding on whether to go to Tufts or McGill(Montreal) for my premed (undergrad). Tufts is $ 44,000 a year and McGill is $ 21,000 per yr. Both have good reputations.

However some folks have told me that iit is very hard to get into a US medical school if I have a degree from a Canadian University. Is this true?

Also will it be hard for a US citizen to get into a Canadian medical school?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated as money is an issue.

Suzanne H.

NOOOOO not true..
GO TO MCGILL. CHEAPER AND BETTER REPUTATION.

It is easy to get into medical school in the US or Canada if your stats are great. McGill degree will only help you further.

As US citizen you can also apply to McGill Medical school. McGill is on of the few that will accept US citizens to their program. Including residency afterwards.

McGill is better choice... and if your stats are great after Bachelors you should have no problem. If you want to stay in Canada. You can always apply for residency and apply to more Canadian schools.

Hope this helps