Mccqe1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinktank

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
just wondering if MCCQE1 is similar in content to USMLE Step 2 CK and 3?
I am going to write MCCQE1 in Spring of 2008.
I have just taken Step 3 last week and now busy in the CCU & fellowship application. I figure by next spring, I will have some time to read and still remember some stuffs I studied for Step 3.

How about MCCQE2... is it similar to Step 2 CS?

Thank's.

Members don't see this ad.

hi thinktank! MCCQE1 is somehow between step 2 and 3. First session of the exam is like step 2 though the questions are much shorter. the second session of the exam is like step 3 but I found it a litlle bit different and uncomfortable. In my test I had so much to write down and less to choose from the given options. however the questions are mostly from family medicine, psychiatry and pediatrics. I also had some surgery and neonatology cases.Lots of health managment too.

I agree with shiu about MCCQE1 being like a combo of steps2&3.

Your best bet would be to prepare broadly, the test questions are divided equally among Psych/Peds/Ob-gyn/Surg/Medicine/Public Health-Ethics so dabble in all those areas and you should be fine, remember to focus on management and multi-step problems, there are no factual questions. Rest assured that it's a screening exam to eliminate poor performers and a vast majority of test-takers pass. It's difficult to prepare specifically for the test as most of the questions seem to be either incredibly difficult (especially as the test adapts and you get further into it) or incredibly easy (at the beginning). Look at the mcc.ca website and find the sample questions, they are the closest to the actual format and difficulty.

MCC2 is similar to Step2 CS but the focus is slightly more advanced (MCC tests your preparation for independent practice), so more emphasis on disease counselling and clinical decision making (including interpretation of Xrays/CT, which prescriptions to use etc.).

Hope that helps!