MCG or Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisthis?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I loved both schools when I interviewed there. I am a Georgia resident, so tuition-wise, MCG is a lot cheaper than Penn state. But, is it true that Penn State has a stronger research program?

Members don't see this ad.

MCG is a great school, but a lot of people who are not in the healthcare field seem to have never heard of the school. That frustrates me. :oops: I know I have to stop worrying about what other people think, but...

Which one would you pick if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you care about doing research later in life or going into academic medicine, you really should contact one of the research laboratories you're interested in or have a chat with them. When I was at my PSU interview, I was asked about my research and then he suggested that I contact a certain medical student who was doing something similar. Now I already have ideas for a joint venture research project.

Something like that may help to sway you to one side or the other between the schools if money is not a huge driving factor.

If I didn't care about research at all I'd go with MCG.

I had a similar decision as the OP, I chose Penn State over my own state schools(NY). Research wise Penn State is far superior and I really just fell in love with the school. They are building a brand new Cancer Institute on campus which will open Spring '08(just in time for clinical rotations) and just seem to have a lot of funding to improve their school(Something lacking from my undergrad institution). So what if I will be in debt an extra $80,000. Financing that over 25 years means an extra $600 or $700 a month? That to me is insignificant.

Definitely go to MCG. Penn State is not worth the money. You won't gain much, if anything, when it comes time to apply for residency by going to Penn State, and you'll kick yourself forever for spending the extra money.