-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mcg
Started by Fantine
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For anyone waiting on financial aid letters, I just called MCG and they told me that they didn't even know what tuition and fees would be for the Fall right now, and that we wouldn't get our award letters until mid June.
I first talked to someone who told me that they'd start processing in mid May (like a previous poster was told), but when I told them that I was asking specifically about the school of medicine and whether we'd be able to find out by May 15, they forwarded my call to Antoinette (I guess she's in charge of med school stuff) who gave me the mid June info.
I first talked to someone who told me that they'd start processing in mid May (like a previous poster was told), but when I told them that I was asking specifically about the school of medicine and whether we'd be able to find out by May 15, they forwarded my call to Antoinette (I guess she's in charge of med school stuff) who gave me the mid June info.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
taleof50, as far as the scholarships go, I know that some have already been given out. As some of these students give up their mcg acceptance, I suppose there is a possibility that these scholarships could be passed on to someone else after may 15. It sure would be nice to pick up an extra 4k or so from mcg/year, but I'm not expecting it.
Concerning general financial aid award letters, I may be wrong here, but I wasn't aware that MCG gives any need based grant money. Suppose your EFC is 4000 and the student budget is 28k. Then you just get 24k in stafford loans. I've never heard of anyone getting free need based grant money(since mcg is a state school with lower tuition and money is tight). I think almost all the people who get grant money are those who get scholarships from the scholarship committee, and these are merit based.
I do know however, that for those who do well their first year their is a scholarship given to those who maintain a certain gpa(maybe a 4.0?) over their m-1 year. A one time $3000 scholarship I think. So this helps a little.
My guess is that the reason MCG doesn't put an emphasis on releasing their financial package before May 15 like Emory is because there isn't a whole lot of guesswork involved. People should know that barring drastic increases(which is possible considering the current budget crisis) for MCG their total debt load(without parental help or merit scholarships) should be a little over 100k if they live frugrally. At emory it could be anywhere from 130k to 230k so obviously there is far more variability in the emory packages and that's why people need the numbers before may 15.
I've turned in all my forms in time and the finaid people say anyday now my numbers should be up on opus. But based on what others have said recently, it looks like all the money has dried up and the need based grants are miniscule. There is no way I'm going to take a chance that I'll get a better package later on at emory and give up my mcg slot after the 15th. I really think i can do whatever I choose to do at either school and would be happy at either school. Anyways, good luck to all those who are making their decisions now and I'm sure we will get a great medical education at either place(our state school or emory)!!
Concerning general financial aid award letters, I may be wrong here, but I wasn't aware that MCG gives any need based grant money. Suppose your EFC is 4000 and the student budget is 28k. Then you just get 24k in stafford loans. I've never heard of anyone getting free need based grant money(since mcg is a state school with lower tuition and money is tight). I think almost all the people who get grant money are those who get scholarships from the scholarship committee, and these are merit based.
I do know however, that for those who do well their first year their is a scholarship given to those who maintain a certain gpa(maybe a 4.0?) over their m-1 year. A one time $3000 scholarship I think. So this helps a little.
My guess is that the reason MCG doesn't put an emphasis on releasing their financial package before May 15 like Emory is because there isn't a whole lot of guesswork involved. People should know that barring drastic increases(which is possible considering the current budget crisis) for MCG their total debt load(without parental help or merit scholarships) should be a little over 100k if they live frugrally. At emory it could be anywhere from 130k to 230k so obviously there is far more variability in the emory packages and that's why people need the numbers before may 15.
I've turned in all my forms in time and the finaid people say anyday now my numbers should be up on opus. But based on what others have said recently, it looks like all the money has dried up and the need based grants are miniscule. There is no way I'm going to take a chance that I'll get a better package later on at emory and give up my mcg slot after the 15th. I really think i can do whatever I choose to do at either school and would be happy at either school. Anyways, good luck to all those who are making their decisions now and I'm sure we will get a great medical education at either place(our state school or emory)!!
another question for those of us headed to MCG....are you guys using nellie mae or Citibank as the lender for your stafford loans? I'm still filling out the MCG individual fin aid form and this this was one of the questions?
suncouch said:How are you all doing with finding housing? I think I'm going to get an apt by myself. Have you guys heard of any good places or any tips?
Hey Suncouch, Did you get accepted off of the waitlist?
vwhan said:SunnyS81,
I have a copy at home, which is 3.5 hrs away right now. I will be home this weekend. Is there someone specific you are inquiring about?
Hany
Yeah....two people 1) Last name Mohseni 2) I think the guy's last name is Singh....first name might have paul in it......he went to my church and went by nicknames.....
You would rock my world if you could hook me up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DadofDr2B said:Financial packages are out. Who will attend MCG?
When did yours come in the mail?
My daughter had the following stats:
GPA 3.56
SGPA 3.56
MCAT 36
Georgia Resident
She was accepted at Wake Forest and MCG.
She selected MCG because of their reputation in internal medicine (her interest) and the cost. By the way, here are the costs for instate vs. out of state.
Tuition and Fees yearly
Out of state $31,509
In state $11,305
Financial package from MCG based on total cost of living including room and board living off campus $27,000. The package consisted of
Stafford Loans through CitiBank at $20,000 per year. About 60% unsubsidized the rest subsidized Current rate on both type loans 2.77%
Apartment, townhomes, and patio homes are available and her patio home has a $600/month mortgage, $100/month utilities. 3BR 2bath 1515 sq ft
These are most of the numbers that are important to applicants. This is one student and I am sure there are a lot of variations.
GPA 3.56
SGPA 3.56
MCAT 36
Georgia Resident
She was accepted at Wake Forest and MCG.
She selected MCG because of their reputation in internal medicine (her interest) and the cost. By the way, here are the costs for instate vs. out of state.
Tuition and Fees yearly
Out of state $31,509
In state $11,305
Financial package from MCG based on total cost of living including room and board living off campus $27,000. The package consisted of
Stafford Loans through CitiBank at $20,000 per year. About 60% unsubsidized the rest subsidized Current rate on both type loans 2.77%
Apartment, townhomes, and patio homes are available and her patio home has a $600/month mortgage, $100/month utilities. 3BR 2bath 1515 sq ft
These are most of the numbers that are important to applicants. This is one student and I am sure there are a lot of variations.
DadofDr2B said:My daughter had the following stats:
Apartment, townhomes, and patio homes are available and her patio home has a $600/month mortgage, $100/month utilities. 3BR 2bath 1515 sq ft
These are most of the numbers that are important to applicants. This is one student and I am sure there are a lot of variations.
What kind of down payment is required for a house with a $600/month mortgage?
meanderson said:What kind of down payment is required for a house with a $600/month mortgage?
Your private mail box is full.
$122,000 price, financed $97,000 at 4.875% 30 year fixed for 5 years, adjustable after that. $600 includes taxes and insurance escrow. 20% downpayment avoids private mortgage insurance requirement.
Overall costs are cheaper than Emory or Wake Forest.
DadofDr2B said:Your private mail box is full.
$122,000 price, financed $97,000 at 4.875% 30 year fixed for 5 years, adjustable after that. $600 includes taxes and insurance escrow. 20% downpayment avoids private mortgage insurance requirement.
Overall costs are cheaper than Emory or Wake Forest.
thanks! I was thinking of buying a small house for years 2-4, but I don't know if it is worth it for just 3 years since I am pretty sure I won't stay in augusta for residency. I also don't know if I could swing 20-25k for a downpayment though.
I looked at the same analysis for Emory as well. Just couldn't justify the extra 100k or so.
I am in a similar boat. I completed my application in November and have not received anything from MCG. I tried contacting them today and they said they submit acceptances, rejections, and waitlists on a rolling basis and the adcom could still be reviewing my file. I have received one acceptance and one waitlist thus far, but would like to stay in Georgia. It is very frustrating dealing with them right now. They give absolutely no information and I believe they tell everyone the same thing. Needed to vent...
kristabel said:Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat I'm in...
I interviewed at MCG in January and I still haven't heard ANYTHING. No acceptance, no rejection, no waitlist.... 😕
I thought some decision was going to be made by March 15, but apparently not. Is anyone else in this situtation?? Incidentally, I have the exact same situation at Mercer - maybe it's just me!
Thanks for your help!
kristabel
ERJunkie said:I am in a similar boat. I completed my application in November and have not received anything from MCG. I tried contacting them today and they said they submit acceptances, rejections, and waitlists on a rolling basis and the adcom could still be reviewing my file. I have received one acceptance and one waitlist thus far, but would like to stay in Georgia. It is very frustrating dealing with them right now. They give absolutely no information and I believe they tell everyone the same thing. Needed to vent...
I am in the same situation as well, I interviewed in the begining of December, and have not heard anyhing. I am scared that since it is rollng that I am not getting in. Has anyone heard anything?
Same 'dern boat - interviewed in early January, and have not heard anything. Has anyone even heard from MCG post interview? ACCEPT, REJECT OR WAITLIST?
I had my interview on Wednesday, 3/16. From what I understand it was the last day for interviews and they will be notifying people in the coming weeks of acceptances, and at this point there are still spots available in the class of 2009. Dr. Thompson said they plan to submit a projected list of incoming students to AAMC by March 30. If you have not heard from them by that time, you have probably been waitlisted or rejected. Regardless, everyone should receive a letter by May 1. I hope this helps with some of the anxiety. Also, one of my interviewers voluntarily stated that they have a large number of incoming students come off of the waitlist every year(statistics I have seen show ~70). It has been this way for ~10 years and he does not expect it to change.
turdferguson said:Same 'dern boat - interviewed in early January, and have not heard anything. Has anyone even heard from MCG post interview? ACCEPT, REJECT OR WAITLIST?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is what Mrs. Devaugn said to me in an email.
"The committee will continue to meet between Jan and March 31, 2005. We
will not fill all our positions until March 31, 2005.
All applicants interviewed will be presented to the committee and
receive a letter from our office by April."
So it looks like we should hear near the end of this month.
"The committee will continue to meet between Jan and March 31, 2005. We
will not fill all our positions until March 31, 2005.
All applicants interviewed will be presented to the committee and
receive a letter from our office by April."
So it looks like we should hear near the end of this month.
this is getting ridiculous - anyone heard anything yet???
does anyone know anyone who has heard anything following a January or later interview?
I don't know anybody who has heard anything except my friend who got in early decision. I called yesterday, and they said they would send out acceptances until the 31st as they are reviewed. I hope we all hear something next week!
just lurking about...i'm a senior at MCG, and i wanted to let y'all know that admissions here (at least back in the day) are truly rolling--i.e. they take a while. so, be patient...it's totally worth the wait! Also, for a little shameless self-promotion, be sure to check out my post in the housing thread if you're interested in buying a home that's convenient and affordable...
Still no news from MCG but curious to know if anyone knows anything about MCG's waitlist. I understand that movement on their waitlist is pretty good, but are the applicants ranked post-interview and will we be notified of our rank/chances if waitlisted?
I will obsessively check my mailbox tomorrow. Thanks!
Oh boo! I'm sorry Golden. Well, I'm glad we'll all find out soon, either way. i'm so tired of waiting! Was your rejection postmarked Monday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
towens5 said:anybody get anything in the mail today???
Interviewed in January and still have heard nothing...I could have sworn they told us "no news is good news." I hope that is the case, 'cause it has been no news for a long time.
Just some Papa Johns coupons!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 763
