Mcgill Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether or not pursuing extra post-bac course work at Mcgill would be a crazy idea? I really like the idea of being in montreal and studying at Mcgill, but I would need to get straight A's. I already majored in Molecular Bio and Biochem for my undergrad...gpa is a 3.4. It's either this or a special Masters program where I take med classes, but this will be very expensive and maybe risky as well......Right now i'm set on the SMP mainly because I hear Mcgill is so hard to do well at. True? any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey where did you do your undergrad? What's your ultimate goal? What's your province/state residence?

I'm not aware of McGill having an SMP program..

I think your GPA is good enough for most MS programs at McGill but then again you should check the individual program that you are interested in. There is no SMP program at McGill and if you just want to bring up your Bac grades, as far as I know, you can't just be an independant or special student at McGill and would really need to start a new Bachelor's program (2 years if you already did an undergrad).

As for MS at McGill, again it depends on the program but I don't think it's exceptionally difficult to do well.

Also, you told me you have a 31 MCAT, unless there are major problems in your undergrad record or you have major weaknesses, then you should apply with your 3.4 GPA and 31 MCAT and if your PS and extracurriculars are solid, expect to land a couple of interviews at least in your state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already gained acceptance as a special student though. So you think they expect me to study there for 2 years? I thought about doing an MS there, but that would take 2 years and I am unwilling to do so.

I already gained acceptance as a special student though. So you think they expect me to study there for 2 years? I thought about doing an MS there, but that would take 2 years and I am unwilling to do so.

hmm..then maybe they have different rules for American students I'm not sure. But even if you do start a new bac, of course you dont have to finish it. You can do one year and improve your GPA and if you get accepted then just leave it. On the other hand leaving an MS half way through would be a bad idea.

so my question is...how hard is mcgill undergrad...it had a reptutaion for being impossible....obviously I don't want to be at a place where its very hard to do well at.

I think generally the difficulty of McGill will be similar to most schools in Canada.

And it depends on what program are you looking at. I'm also considering doing a second bac at McGill and I'm looking at Economics, International Development Studies and Psychology majors.