McGill University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoomsy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to make any comments? Americans who interviewed already? Out of province who have interviews on Feb 10th?

Cheers

Hoomsy

Members don't see this ad.

have some out-of-province people not heard yet about interviews? i am still waiting to hear.... Z

hoomsy said:
Anyone want to make any comments? Americans who interviewed already? Out of province who have interviews on Feb 10th?

Cheers

Hoomsy

ZBLINK said:
have some out-of-province people not heard yet about interviews? i am still waiting to hear.... Z

All OOP people should have heard already by email. I did my OOP interview in dec (early decision) but still waiting for the decision....

McGill is an excellent school to do your MD. Systems based approach, diverse class, lots of financial aid, good research, right in the city..... And with global warming winter in Montreal is tolerable :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, if an American student hasn't been invited for an interview by now, he/she is screwed? I applied to McGill (I live in NYC), and I know they interview US students only in January. Even if my online status still says "under review", since I wasn't invited, then it's a rejction, right?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hey..

I talked to the someone in the admissions office last week and she said we'll find out in March

They sent out the OPP interviews. If you did not get an e-mail by now it means you did not get an interview. :( Sorry...

ZBLINK said:

Hey!!!

How you doin?

Well I think they let the OPP and internationals know the same time...which should be like mid march.

I actually went to talk to one of the guys who interviewed me...wanted to tell him I have a patent coming along :) (browny pts for MD/PhD) and he had no idea....

I might drop by the admissions office this week and see what's up.

Make it back okay?

Cheers

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Hoomsy: have you heard anything about when McGill gets back to us about acceptances/rejections? I have heard a couple of different dates, ranging from next week to the end of March. Any insight?

Last edited:
i know seriously...it would be great....mcgill is my top choice for sure...i do NOT want to leave this city yet...:)

keep in touch.

hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Make it back okay?

Cheers

Hoomsy

I hope I can! Nice job with the brownie points...I mean patent, by the way. Hopefully we'll both be there next year.[/QUOTE]

Hey!!! I got accepted! I just got my acceptance letter today by e-mail!

So I got into the MD. For MD/PhD they let you know if you get in end of feb. Wow that was really early...

I hope you get in too!!!!

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Make it back okay?

Cheers

Hoomsy

I hope I can! Nice job with the brownie points...I mean patent, by the way. Hopefully we'll both be there next year.[/QUOTE]

hoomsy said:
Hey!!! I got accepted! I just got my acceptance letter today by e-mail!

So I got into the MD. For MD/PhD they let you know if you get in end of feb. Wow that was really early...

I hope you get in too!!!!

Hoomsy

I hope I can! Nice job with the brownie points...I mean patent, by the way. Hopefully we'll both be there next year.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! I wish I was wearing your shoes! Hopefully when I apply, Mcgill, UBC, or UT will accept me. Sorry to be an annoying premed, but can you post your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
hah no prob

So this is my 2nd time applying to medical school.

cGPA: 3.85 (McGill, B.Sc., Faculty Program in Chemistry)
cGPA: 4.00 (McGill, M.Sc., Chemical Engineering)

MCAT:
B: 11
P: 11
V: 6!!!! (seriously)
W: P

I worked as an ER technician for 2 years. I had an internship in cardiac stress lab for a summer. Traveled to the D.R. for medical work. Shadowed ER doc for a year. 2 summers research at Harvard. Published 3 papers. I have 1 patent.

I applied for the MD/PhD program. This is my 1st acceptance. I did my undergrad in 3 years...I applied did not get in. So I started a masters...did that for 2 years...and applied again. I'm 23 years old and male from Boston, MA.

GOOD LUCK! I'm still crying...I've worked soo hard for so many years!!

Hoomsy

Congratulations! I wish I was wearing your shoes! Hopefully when I apply, Mcgill, UBC, or UT will accept me. Sorry to be an annoying premed, but can you post your stats?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
moinmoin said:

Hoomsy

Wow, that was fast! Great news for you- I know you really wanted it. We'll see now if they really want me. I didn't know that McGill sent out email acceptances. Have you heard of anyone else getting one yet? I sure haven't.

I got in today!!! It's my birthday, too - pretty much the most amazing birthday present I've ever gotten.

:love:

did the victory lap today....walked into admissions and signed the contract.....people who have been accepted have until feb 15th to accept or they'll loose their spot!

what an amazing feeling....

hoomsy

I got that letter today too and I gotta say that the Feb 15th deadline is ridiculous. I have to withdraw all of my apps by then???? I won't have heard from some schools by then.

Just like McGill. Anyways, congrats Hooms and Beccamt (when did you interview?) ... Maybe I'll be seeing you in August

ZBLINK said:

I haven't heard a peep out of them, either, and the website still says ready for review. Hmm... Perhaps they only interviewed the MD/PhD candidates thus far? Has anyone who applied for the MD/MBA program heard any news? (Oh, and if you're going to say "sorry, they interviewed all the OOP/international students already," then please cite your source for this information -- don't burst our tenuous bubbles if you only have a hunch that they've given out all their international interview spots already. Thanks!)

Good luck, Z, I hope you hear something soon! :luck:

moinmoin said:

Hey, relax. I don't think that they've given out all the acceptances. The reason why there's a Feb 15th deadline is because if someone rejects the offer, they're going to take more people. I wouldn't worry!!!

hey...

yeah i withdrew all my other applications...let me be honest with u...IF u go to mcgill you will get your top residency position....there's only 12 graduates...and we're gonna be money trust me.

for the hell of it (excuse to go home too) i went to a umass med interview on wed. even though umass was rated 4th med school in the US...i showed this letter to the dean of the school and dean of admissions...they took me into a room closed the door...they said...we want to give u our honest opinion...i dunno why ur even considering our school if you got into mcgill. he said he nephew went to mcgill....got his top choice of residency....he said mcgill was one of the best medical schools not only in north america...but the world...

ne how...choice mcgill...u will LOVE it. ive lived here since 2001 going to school here...i don't want to leave.

also heard some rumour....it doesn't make sense and i don't know the exact details...BUT apparently u need to get malpractice insurance when u become a doctor....and if u go to mcgill as an american...u can get canadian insurance which works in the states and it's something like 1/10 the price.

meh...

Hoomsy

PHECT said:
I got that letter today too and I gotta say that the Feb 15th deadline is ridiculous. I have to withdraw all of my apps by then???? I won't have heard from some schools by then.

Just like McGill. Anyways, congrats Hooms and Beccamt (when did you interview?) ... Maybe I'll be seeing you in August

They sent out interviews for OPP.

The MD/MBA. They interviewed with the International students.

Cheers

Hoomsy

kkbmd2b said:
I haven't heard a peep out of them, either, and the website still says ready for review. Hmm... Perhaps they only interviewed the MD/PhD candidates thus far? Has anyone who applied for the MD/MBA program heard any news? (Oh, and if you're going to say "sorry, they interviewed all the OOP/international students already," then please cite your source for this information -- don't burst our tenuous bubbles if you only have a hunch that they've given out all their international interview spots already. Thanks!)

Good luck, Z, I hope you hear something soon! :luck:

PHECT said:

hey man
just my thoughts but a mcgill med acceptance is MONEY. (not as in cash rules everything around me cream but more like that's a crazy accomplishment for you).
mcgill is world renowned. period. i did my undergrad in physiotherapy there and can honestly say it's worked magic for me. i'm sure the med education is even at another level. did you have a chance to check out the montreal general hospital? that thing is a monster.
heh.
good luck with your decision.
k

klause said:
hey man
just my thoughts but a mcgill med acceptance is MONEY. (not as in cash rules everything around me cream but more like that's a crazy accomplishment for you).
k

I appreciate a Wu-Tang reference in a med school forum. HA, and they thought we were nerds. Anyways, I know that McGill is great and I'd be happy to go here. I'm just waiting on a school that's been my dream for awhile.

As for the Montreal General, it is a monster. And rotating clerks get crazy good experience there. BUT, the hospital is out-of-date and short-on-staff... a new super-hospital is needed.

this was from the nephew of the dean of admissions at umass...he e-mailed me recently...

I went there 1994-98 as US citizen, had a great experience and recommend it highly--I did medicine residency Vanderbilt, then GI fellowship Mayo Clinic

positive
top notch education--will get more hands on than most US programs
much cheaper than most US med schools
Montreal is a fantastic city, will be unique
prestigious in bigger cities ie boston sf nyc--most people got into program of choice, many harvard residencies.
dont need to speak french, but a plus
can take all US board exams, it is NOT considered a foreing med school by US

negative
continuous hassles with passports, licensure, translating documents from french to english--can overcome, but a nuisance
will take 1 month to adjust to american names for medicines/american labs
may not get much insight into US healthcare (not taking care of patients, that's differnet)--bypass this by taking several electives in US hospitals (which can be arranged and my friends/I all did)
smaller progra ms may not have heard of Mcgill, ask if you are a foreign grad.

hoomsy said:
...wentt to a umass med interview on wed. even though umass was rated 4th med school in the US...i showed this letter to the dean of the school and dean of admissions...they took me into a room closed the door...they said...we want to give u our honest opinion...i dunno why ur even considering our school if you got into mcgill. he said he nephew went to mcgill....got his top choice of residency....he said mcgill was one of the best medical schools not only in north america...but the world...

ne how...choice mcgill...u will LOVE it. ive lived here since 2001 going to school here...i don't want to leave.
Hoomsy
Happy you got in, but come one.....you're getting a bit carried away....."best medical school in the WORLD"???.....taking acceptance letters to other interviews?? Pretty distasteful.

hey...

medically speaking...suck my balls. i can interview ne where i want until i sign with a school.

Friendly said:
Happy you got in, but come one.....you're getting a bit carried away....."best medical school in the WORLD"???.....taking acceptance letters to other interviews?? Pretty distasteful.

hoomsy said:
hey...

medically speaking...suck my balls. i can interview ne where i want until i sign with a school.
Very immature and quite sad for a future med student. One would think your attitude would be better (at least more grateful) since you had to take the MCAT three times, and apply several times to several countries before getting this acceptance. Good luck.....

yeah i had to write it 3 times...

this was my 2nd time applying...u know what...im glad i didn't get in the first time. if i didn't i wouldn't have my patent right now and i wouldn't be making all the money i am :) I don't need med school after this (financially)...

plus...i don't throw $hit randomly...only when it's first thrown at me.

thanks. i'm super excited!!

cheers

hoomsy

Friendly said:
Very immature and quite sad for a future med student. One would think your attitude would be better (at least more grateful) since you had to take the MCAT three times, and apply several times to several countries before getting this acceptance. Good luck.....

hoomsy said:
yeah i had to write it 3 times...

this was my 2nd time applying...u know what...im glad i didn't get in the first time. if i didn't i wouldn't have my patent right now and i wouldn't be making all the money i am :) I don't need med school after this (financially)...

plus...i don't throw $hit randomly...only when it's first thrown at me.

thanks. i'm super excited!!

cheers

hoomsy
I thought you mentioned that you have applied twice, without success to both Canada and the U.S. and once without success to the U.K. That's like five unsuccessful cycles.

Nobody threw anything at you. Why are you still showing off? :rolleyes: Don't you mean your boss' patent? Good luck. Enjoy McGill.

what the hell is wrong with u?

no..me..i got 70%....:)

Thanks

Hoomsy

Friendly said:
I thought you mentioned that you have applied twice, without success to both Canada and the U.S. and once without success to the U.K. That's like five unsuccessful cycles.

Nobody threw anything at you. Why are you still showing off? :rolleyes: Don't you mean your boss' patent? Good luck. Enjoy McGill.

hoomsy said:
what the hell is wrong with u?

no..me..i got 70%....:)

Thanks

Hoomsy

Hearty congratulations. I was one of those obsessive pre-meds, when I was researching and applying to med school. Was extremely impressed with the school during my visit. I've heard fantastic reviews of McGill, whether for research, matching, or quality of education. It truly is a top-tier education you'll be receiving.

Last edited:
moinmoin said:
Oh, and Friendly: way to chastise and try to bring someone down who you've never met before. That's tact.
Maybe I did meet him, perhaps when he interviewed at McMaster a couple of years ago. Maybe I know first-hand that he's an arrogant little SOB. Did you consider that?

Thanks guys.

Jesus Friendly. Get a life!!! Now you're stalking me? Hah now your really coming along as a sad pathetic loser...

I don't care about you, but others, if I came along as being arogant (etc.) I did't mean it. This is just amazing news for me. I've been working my ass to get to this point for years. I'm 23, and my dreams finally came true! I think I give hope out there for people who do not have the strongest MCAT, especially in the verbal section. It is possible!

If anyone has questions about McGill or applying to med school etc. let me know. I've become a pro at it :)

Moinmoin, still no word? I have my fingers crossed. What I know for sure is I signed with McGill, remember Tarek from Chem. Eng. He did too.

Hoomsy

PS. McMaster can go to hell. They stole my 500$ application fee (or was it 400$ i can't remember). They supposidely took 1 international student every year. I believe I was the only international student interviewing there. They did not take a single one (from what I heard from people who got in). After that year I applied, they changed their policy and they no longer have an international quota but they can still apply (which is rediculous). Only reason I applied to that school was they didn't look at the MCAT. Plus my aunt is a prof there.

Friendly said:
Maybe I did meet him, perhaps when he interviewed at McMaster a couple of years ago. Maybe I know first-hand that he's an arrogant little SOB. Did you consider that?

Arrighty fellahs. We are fighting in an internet forum. A little lame. Next time you guys are outside of a bar (preferably 'Biftek'), then duke 'er out. Otherwise, there's no point in typing out disses.

MOINMOIN: First off, how's the exercise physiology going? Second off, I haven't a vague idea what I'm going to do. Hopefully I can find out from that "dream school" before McGill requires my signature.

Last edited:
moinmoin said:
PHECT: Any news? I seem to remember you wanting to go to Columbia but they don't notify until March, right? Is that the dream school? That 2 week deadline of McGill's is kind of odd; I gather it explicitly states that you must withdraw all other applications if you accept McGill's offer. Interesting. Tough choices for you. Oh, and the exercise physiology is coming along just fine, thanks for asking!

Hey, good to hear. I got an email from McGill saying that they were rescinding section (g) of their admissions contract. Now I have til May 15th to make a decision. Little less stress.....