McGovern vs UHCOM (w/ Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobilesuit

Reaction score
I’m really conflicted. I prematched at UHCOM, but before that I planned on ranking McGovern #1. I did not prematch at McGovern. I love both schools. The major difference obviously is that UH College of Medicine is a new school. But I was lucky enough to get a full tuition scholarship there, and this has totally shaken up my thoughts.

My main concern about UHCOM is whether or not it being new might be a kind of disadvantage when it comes to residency. If it helps, I plan on doing internal medicine (I have a deep interest in gastro currently). Granted, not having any medical debt is a wild opportunity.

If I rank McGovern #1 I may or may not match there, but if I do, obviously I forfeit my UH spot and scholarship. Is a scholarship worth swallowing my reservations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Free tuition all the way.

Once you're in med school, your ability to Match will be up to you. And both schools will offer you a degree and the resources to Match. Obviously prestige does have some pull, but how you personally perform will have more. You mentioned loving both schools, and it seems like you love McGovern just a little bit more, so ask yourself, is that worth ~$300k, because there's a price for love and it's probably less than that amount.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in a similar situation as you but between two different institutions as the deadline to submit tmdsas school preferences is coming up.

I say rank McGovern #1. For internal medicine, McGovern will give you a leg up because of it has been around a bit longer.

however, if you care more about the nuanced aspects of medical school UH is more versatile in that sense. For example, the class size (UH is much smaller) , P/f curriculum preclerkships (UH is p/f while McGovern is not) length of preclerkships (UH is 1.5 and allows you to get to clinicals earlier so you have more time to explore career options), being able to take your boards after clerkships (UH does this) versus taking step 1 after preclinicals like McGovern. These factors all make UH a viable option. The scholarship is a nice touch as well.

The only thing I didn’t like about UH is that the admin are still figuring out when students will sit for their exams (aka as shelf exams) during rotations. At the time I interviewed in the summer, they weren’t sure when shelf exams would be administered (at the end of each rotation which is standard vs. students taking shelfs after completing an unknown number of rotations first). This unknown made me uneasy especially now that step 1 is P/f the focus for residency selection will likely shift to clinical grades. Other than that, I really liked UH and their mission.

With all that being said, I would say McGovern is the better option as of today as they have more resources and have ironed outtheir kinks in the curriculum. If you don’t match there, you still have a good option with UH and you’ll know you gave McGovern a fair shot. Best of luck!

Free tuition all the way.

Once you're in med school, your ability to Match will be up to you. And both schools will offer you a degree and the resources to Match. Obviously prestige does have some pull, but how you personally perform will have more. You mentioned loving both schools, and it seems like you love McGovern just a little bit more, so ask yourself, is that worth ~$300k, because there's a price for love and it's probably less than that amount.
Where are you getting 300k from? Texas med schools are about ~20k a year give or take

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in a similar situation as you but between two different institutions as the deadline to submit tmdsas school preferences is coming up.

I say rank McGovern #1. For internal medicine, McGovern will give you a leg up because of it has been around a bit longer.

however, if you care more about the nuanced aspects of medical school UH is more versatile in that sense. For example, the class size (UH is much smaller) , P/f curriculum preclerkships (UH is p/f while McGovern is not) length of preclerkships (UH is 1.5 and allows you to get to clinicals earlier so you have more time to explore career options), being able to take your boards after clerkships (UH does this) versus taking step 1 after preclinicals like McGovern. These factors all make UH a viable option. The scholarship is a nice touch as well.

The only thing I didn’t like about UH is that the admin are still figuring out when students will sit for their exams (aka as shelf exams) during rotations. At the time I interviewed in the summer, they weren’t sure when shelf exams would be administered (at the end of each rotation which is standard vs. students taking shelfs after completing an unknown number of rotations first). This unknown made me uneasy especially now that step 1 is P/f the focus for residency selection will likely shift to clinical grades. Other than that, I really liked UH and their mission.

With all that being said, I would say McGovern is the better option as of today as they have more resources and have ironed outtheir kinks in the curriculum. If you don’t match there, you still have a good option with UH and you’ll know you gave McGovern a fair shot. Best of luck!
I sooo appreciate this perspective. Very well rounded answer. You don’t think it would be silly to walk away from free tuition? I’m trying to convince myself that 100k in loans isn’t THAT bad....

Where are you getting 300k from? Texas med schools are about ~20k a year give or take
Oops not a Texas resident so I forgot how low the tuition is there (or is it blissful ignorance??) I feel like if OP loves both schools it'll just be determining whether or not that love is worth XXX amount of loans. 100k is still a lot of money and personally if given an option to walk away from medical school without any debt burden, I would take it.

I sooo appreciate this perspective. Very well rounded answer. You don’t think it would be silly to walk away from free tuition? I’m trying to convince myself that 100k in loans isn’t THAT bad....
100k tuition does complicate things haha and I think UH knows that!

But giving that up to attend McGovern in the TMC with all their connections and resources isn’t ridiculous. Especially given all the changes to medical education we’ve seen in just the last 11 months alone... I believe McGovern is better equipped to get you to your desired destination with less turbulence because they are more established in the field

I'd go UHCOM. Free tuition with similar connections within the TMC.

You'll have the displeasure of being the guinea pig for a new curriculum, the reputation won't be there, and you will decrease your chances at ivy league IM programs. But that extra $$ will also give you the ability to be ~2-3 years ahead financially when you're trying to start a family, or purchase your first house, or go on a fun vacation.
Thanks for this. I honestly have no interest in going Ivy League so maybe it will be worth the sacrifice. I’d prefer staying in Texas.

I would personally pick McGovern, but at the end of day you will be a doctor and I'm sure you will get what you need, especially if you want to stay in Texas. Just depends on your goals and how flexible you are willing to be. If you don't mind the turbulence and lack of establishment associated with UH, save your money. I'm not a go with the flow type of person, which is why I know that lack of structure would bother me. If you want to keep all your doors open for any possibility, pick McGovern.

I would also argue that UH does not have much connection within the TMC, but I didn't interview there so take that with a grain of salt. From my understanding, they are associated with the HCA system which is scattered throughout outlying areas of North/West Houston. Baylor and McGovern are much more established in the TMC and I expect they will win out competition for research/other opportunities.

If you are leaning McGovern and are worried that it would be foolish to walk away from free tuition, I just want to say I don't think it's foolish. But you don't need validation from a stranger on the internet - you will have to decide that yourself. With ranking submission extended to Monday, I hope you are able to come to a decision you are satisfied with, and good luck!

I would personally pick McGovern, but at the end of day you will be a doctor and I'm sure you will get what you need, especially if you want to stay in Texas. Just depends on your goals and how flexible you are willing to be. If you don't mind the turbulence and lack of establishment associated with UH, save your money. I'm not a go with the flow type of person, which is why I know that lack of structure would bother me. If you want to keep all your doors open for any possibility, pick McGovern.

I would also argue that UH does not have much connection within the TMC, but I didn't interview there so take that with a grain of salt. From my understanding, they are associated with the HCA system which is scattered throughout outlying areas of North/West Houston. Baylor and McGovern are much more established in the TMC and I expect they will win out competition for research/other opportunities.

If you are leaning McGovern and are worried that it would be foolish to walk away from free tuition, I just want to say I don't think it's foolish. But you don't need validation from a stranger on the internet - you will have to decide that yourself. With ranking submission extended to Monday, I hope you are able to come to a decision you are satisfied with, and good luck!
Actually I appreciate this validation much more than you know. 😂 It was a godsend that the deadline was moved because finding out so late had me scrambling to think of what to do. Now I have time to consider all options.

What are we discussing here?

If you mean clinical educations (rotations, preceptors, people you learn medicine from) then yeah Baylor and McGovern are better.

If you mean research - there's so many PIs in the med center, that there really isnt much "competition" You will have very similar access to what the other schools in Houston have.
You're right, there are many PIs in the med center. I was thinking along the lines of availability of faculty and residents associated with the schools who are working on projects. Either way, I'm sure you'd have access to research in whichever specialty, just seems like McGovern might facilitate that process more.

UH sounds like a lovely opportunity. As a first class, they will set you up for success. They have so much riding on you, they kind of have to 😅

UH sounds like a lovely opportunity. As a first class, they will set you up for success. They have so much riding on you, they kind of have to 😅
OP would be the second class... inaugural class started summer of 2020.

OP as you can see, it could go either way in terms of which program to choose. I personally say rank McGovern 1st and see what happens! But the decision is yours. Can’t go wrong with either given your preferences that you shared. Let us know where you end up on match day!

OP would be the second class... inaugural class started summer of 2020.

OP as you can see, it could go either way in terms of which program to choose. I personally say rank McGovern 1st and see what happens! But the decision is yours. Can’t go wrong with either given your preferences that you shared. Let us know where you end up on match day!
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I will!

I'm in a similar boat and would like to see which one you picked, and do you have any advice now?
I ended up going with the scholarship, and I don't regret it. I sat and thought long and hard about what was important to me, and I decided that was having financial freedom after graduation. No little annoyances I may have with the new school thing have made me wish I hadn't taken the scholarship because I just tell myself "wow I'm actually here for free" and it makes it all worthwhile. Being in my second semester now I also realize what a huge life-saver a P/F curriculum is, and I can't imagine going to a school that has a traditional grading style. I think ultimately you need to do some introspection and ask yourself what sort of student you are. I'm the go-getter type that will make opportunities for myself, regardless of what leverage a school might offer, so passing up on the name McGovern has wasn't a big deciding factor for me. At least not bigger than the money. Texas may be "cheap" when compared to other schools, but $100k+ is a ton of money (also keep in mind cost of living/rent), and not having that added factor to consider when deciding what career I want will be literally life-changing for ME.

• Care
I ended up going with the scholarship, and I don't regret it. I sat and thought long and hard about what was important to me, and I decided that was having financial freedom after graduation. No little annoyances I may have with the new school thing have made me wish I hadn't taken the scholarship because I just tell myself "wow I'm actually here for free" and it makes it all worthwhile. Being in my second semester now I also realize what a huge life-saver a P/F curriculum is, and I can't imagine going to a school that has a traditional grading style. I think ultimately you need to do some introspection and ask yourself what sort of student you are. I'm the go-getter type that will make opportunities for myself, regardless of what leverage a school might offer, so passing up on the name McGovern has wasn't a big deciding factor for me. At least not bigger than the money. Texas may be "cheap" when compared to other schools, but $100k+ is a ton of money (also keep in mind cost of living/rent), and not having that added factor to consider when deciding what career I want will be literally life-changing for ME.
Thank you for your response! I just want to see another perspective, but it feels like you speak for me, seriously 😂. I have strong interest in primary care so that align with UHCOM, and even if I change my mind, there are so much opportunities just being in Houston. At the end of the day, the school is just mean to get the degree, and I see that UHCOM offers so much support tbh. I’m a bit worried about the new school with spread-out clerkships, but it’s also an opportunity to learn more about different systems, depends on how we see it. I guess I’ll see you next semester then!

Thank you for your response! I just want to see another perspective, but it feels like you speak for me, seriously 😂. I have strong interest in primary care so that align with UHCOM, and even if I change my mind, there are so much opportunities just being in Houston. At the end of the day, the school is just mean to get the degree, and I see that UHCOM offers so much support tbh. I’m a bit worried about the new school with spread-out clerkships, but it’s also an opportunity to learn more about different systems, depends on how we see it. I guess I’ll see you next semester then!
If you're into Primary Care then you're an even better fit for UH than I am. I'm leaning toward IM. UHCOM actually doesn't pressure any particular specialty at all. I think those who are after PC knew it from the beginning. Some of my classmates are openly after surgery, etc and the school is fully supportive. I can see that they're doing an incredible job of grooming strong, compassionate HUMAN physicians, which will be handy not just in PC but anywhere. I'll be honest we share some of the same concerns, but you will be very surprised what you're willing to look past for $100k :rofl:

• Haha