MCPHS interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
coupled with a great interview, u'll do fine! make sure you apply early though, can't stress that enough

thanks alot for your input, i hope i can get an interview there next fall...i heard alot of good things about this school. how is the study using tele tv..does it feel the same as the real class atmosphere

Members don't see this ad.

^ manutdmax, yea you have a great shot. Actually after reading this thread I don't even know how I received an interview. Everyone here who got one seems to have amazing profiles... errrr :oops:

Anyways, for those of you who got accepted already, are all your prereqs complete? After what happened with a previous poster, I can't help but feel like I will get waitlisted too (if not rejected). I am still missing 3 classes: Intro to Soc, Hist/Poli Sci, and a Behavioral Sci Elective :(

^ manutdmax, yea you have a great shot. Actually after reading this thread I don't even know how I received an interview. Everyone here who got one seems to have amazing profiles... errrr :oops:

Anyways, for those of you who got accepted already, are all your prereqs complete? After what happened with a previous poster, I can't help but feel like I will get waitlisted too (if not rejected). I am still missing 3 classes: Intro to Soc, Hist/Poli Sci, and a Behavioral Sci Elective :(

thanks ..i hope you will get in, how do u know i have a shot..can u share ur profile plz

Members don't see this ad :)
^ I know you have a shot because of your post :):
well i am now doing my masters degree and i will finish next year, i will apply in the fall of 09, i expect my master GPA to be higher than the undergrad one, i work now at cvs as tech, my MS GPA is around 3.7 but my undergrad (biology) is around 3.2 , do u think that is good enough..and my pre reqs GPA is around 3.66, worked as teaching assistant and i will do my research in summer

As for me, I have no research exp, no work exp, no TA exp, and no high GPA. I just have a bunch of volunteer and extracurricular activities including serving as a certified tech in a clinic-setting pharmacy and shadowing an ICU pharmacist. I am in my 4th year of undergraduate studies majoring in Neuroscience, and my cumulative GPA is not even a 3.2. I have overloaded my schedule for four years straight though, including four consecutive summers of classes (I just finished 24 units the past summer with A, A, A-, B+, B+). So yea. I feel extremely lucky and grateful that I got an interview, although I am not entirely sure how. I have a feeling it's due to my life story (personal statement), and my LORs. That's my profile for you :)

Meanwhile, for those of you who got accepted already, are all your prereqs complete? After what happened with a previous poster, I can't help but feel like I will get waitlisted too (if not rejected). I am still missing 3 classes: Intro to Soc, Hist/Poli Sci, and a Behavioral Sci Elective :(

thanks alot for your input, i hope i can get an interview there next fall...i heard alot of good things about this school. how is the study using tele tv..does it feel the same as the real class atmosphere

well, it all depends, some professors have accents, so it might be hard to hear them over the satellite, but most of the time, it's not bad. If you are in worcester, 75% of your classes will be taught in Worcester. Your professors will go over and teach from Manchester like once every couple months or so.. so u're not missing much. Most of them are pretty good at articulating and stuff. The only down thing i might think of, is sometimes the questions asked from the students at the other campus, u don't get to hear, but 95% of professors would repeat the question automatically, if not, you can always ask to repeat, that takes up a bit more of class time, but u're not missing the question or anything. I definitely like being in worcester better than manchester tho regarding that issue.

^ I know you have a shot because of your post :):

As for me, I have no research exp, no work exp, no TA exp, and no high GPA. I just have a bunch of volunteer and extracurricular activities including serving as a certified tech in a clinic-setting pharmacy and shadowing an ICU pharmacist. I am in my 4th year of undergraduate studies majoring in Neuroscience, and my cumulative GPA is not even a 3.2. I have overloaded my schedule for four years straight though, including four consecutive summers of classes (I just finished 24 units the past summer with A, A, A-, B+, B+). So yea. I feel extremely lucky and grateful that I got an interview, although I am not entirely sure how. I have a feeling it's due to my life story (personal statement), and my LORs. That's my profile for you :)

Meanwhile, for those of you who got accepted already, are all your prereqs complete? After what happened with a previous poster, I can't help but feel like I will get waitlisted too (if not rejected). I am still missing 3 classes: Intro to Soc, Hist/Poli Sci, and a Behavioral Sci Elective :(
Shikamaru,
Don't feel discouraged. I haven't completed all my prereq... i have physics and psychology this semester. For the spring semester, i have to take microbiology, intro to soc., and another behavior science course... I received my acceptance letter six days after my interview (even tho they say its 4-6 weeks)... so applying early has its advantages.

pre-pharm gpa of 3.7
science and math gpa 3.6
no previous degree... just a third year undergrad. majoring in biology
2 years experience as a pharmacy tech. tho

so compare to my prereq that are still outstanding, u don't have much to worry about. Just do well on the one-on-one interview and have a killer writing sample! Good luck! Tell me how it goes!

Shikamaru,
Don't feel discouraged. I haven't completed all my prereq... i have physics and psychology this semester. For the spring semester, i have to take microbiology, intro to soc., and another behavior science course... I received my acceptance letter six days after my interview (even tho they say its 4-6 weeks)... so applying early has its advantages.

pre-pharm gpa of 3.7
science and math gpa 3.6
no previous degree... just a third year undergrad. majoring in biology
2 years experience as a pharmacy tech. tho

so compare to my prereq that are still outstanding, u don't have much to worry about. Just do well on the one-on-one interview and have a killer writing sample! Good luck! Tell me how it goes!

congrats on ur acceptance,,, did you have any volunteer experiences, what do you mean by killer writing...can u give us tips ..thanks

I guess I exagerated on the "killer" part... haha. Its just that you have 30 minutes to choose one of the selected topics they give you and you feel the pressure (especially the intro because in my opinion that's the hardest part, getting started). The secretary lady gives you a heads up like 5-10 minutes when time is up (but make sure you have a watch... cause time flies when you have to write up to a page and a half essay).

I did tons of volunteer experience previously before, then with all the demanding schedule of pre-reqs and working at a pharmacy for 20-25 hours a week--- it was just one volunteer work that i participate in presently. I don't think they really care much for volunteer work they just want to know that you can manage your time and i think that was key to the interview--- to know you will put your priorities of grades first before work and volunteer work cause you know time management. Stress you are organized and are great with time management. Cause the program is intense.

My interview never did mention once volunteer work, but hey, its different for each interview.

Hope that helps!

congrats on ur acceptance,,, did you have any volunteer experiences, what do you mean by killer writing...can u give us tips ..thanks

Yea I think maybe I did bad on my writing sample, since English is not my native language. Plus I was very worried during my interview, because upon my arrival to Worcester I received a call from my grandma saying that my parents got in a car accident and were taken to the hospital.

Yea I think maybe I did bad on my writing sample, since English is not my native language. Plus I was very worried during my interview, because upon my arrival to Worcester I received a call from my grandma saying that my parents got in a car accident and were taken to the hospital.

o .. sorry to hear that. I hope they are ok now

I have an entire semester/summer off before I start in the fall. Is there any info that I should definitely brush up on before starting next fall?

I have an entire semester/summer off before I start in the fall. Is there any info that I should definitely brush up on before starting next fall?

I think a lot of people will tell you to go out and have the most fun you can before school starts. I do agree with them, however, I don't think that you need to be 100000% having fun the whole semester. I think that you can always brush up on material.. but then it's hard to if you really don't know what the professors are going to teach. I think that getting the most experience with drugs will help you as we have to learn top 200 brand/generic/indication during fall.. so if you are familiar with drugs in general... then that's gonna be one less thing u'd have to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of people will tell you to go out and have the most fun you can before school starts. I do agree with them, however, I don't think that you need to be 100000% having fun the whole semester. I think that you can always brush up on material.. but then it's hard to if you really don't know what the professors are going to teach. I think that getting the most experience with drugs will help you as we have to learn top 200 brand/generic/indication during fall.. so if you are familiar with drugs in general... then that's gonna be one less thing u'd have to worry about.

I was thinking of introducing myself to biochem (because I haven't taken it!) and physiology in the spring as preparation.
I never thought about it but I hope I don't burn out...
Do you burn out at MCP greatdeals? There is definitely that potential, right?

I was thinking of introducing myself to biochem (because I haven't taken it!) and physiology in the spring as preparation.
I never thought about it but I hope I don't burn out...
Do you burn out at MCP greatdeals? There is definitely that potential, right?

there are weeks where you're ready to give up and ask yourself why you got into such a school... but then, when u think of it.. any professional degree puts you through that kind of torture.. :p

there are weeks where it's pretty laid back as well.. you just have to look at your exam schedule and plan it ahead of time... like if you have 6 days until the next exam, then you might wanna use the first couple days to organize your notes for later exams.. stuff like that.

I already took Biochem I, II, and Advanced Biochem...I wonder if the school will accept my credits!?

I already took Biochem I, II, and Advanced Biochem...I wonder if the school will accept my credits!?

You can ask, but I really doubt it. if they did, then half the class wouldn't need to take that class since they have a bachelors in biochem :p

there are weeks where you're ready to give up and ask yourself why you got into such a school... but then, when u think of it.. any professional degree puts you through that kind of torture.. :p

there are weeks where it's pretty laid back as well.. you just have to look at your exam schedule and plan it ahead of time... like if you have 6 days until the next exam, then you might wanna use the first couple days to organize your notes for later exams.. stuff like that.

cool, thanks greatdeals225. i'm trying to prepare as much as possible and this is an important thing to be aware of.

Anybody got in to MCPHS Worsceter this week yet? I am still waiting for last week's interview. Getting worried.
campharm

If i went to boston...that'd be so awesome! I'd get to watch the patriots play cuz Randy Moss is so sick! 4 TDs in one half! :D

Does anybody have any idea how many people they've accepted to the Worcester program yet?

Does anybody have any idea how many people they've accepted to the Worcester program yet?
I just quickly browsed through this thread and counted 7 just from here alone. Since not every applicant knows about SDN, I'd guess around 20-30 people, if not more.

My file is on hold until fall grades post, so I was just a little worried about my chances that late in the application process.

My file is on hold until fall grades post, so I was just a little worried about my chances that late in the application process.

I am not sure how many have been accepted so far, but I don't think you have to worry too much. i know people who have interviewed late in January and still got in last year.

Hey guys what are my chances of getting into MCPHS- worcester

I have a cum. GPA of 3.65
Work in Pharmacy for 3 yrs
WIll have Bachelor of Science Biology in MAy...

Hey guys what are my chances of getting into MCPHS- worcester

I have a cum. GPA of 3.65
Work in Pharmacy for 3 yrs
WIll have Bachelor of Science Biology in MAy...

I think you have good chances, especially with your pharmacy experience + bachelors, but remember one thing, good chances won't do you any good if you apply late, so start sending in those documents!! :luck:

what was the average time after you sent in the documents that you got a reply-?

what was the average time after you sent in the documents that you got a reply-?

I applied last year, so it's hard to tell.. I applied towards November, and I think within a month I got an invitation for interview.. however, those who applied already this year, some already got interviews.. I think you don't wait as long when you apply earlier..

Is the program really as stressful and unbearable . I heard from a couple students that it wasnt worth it for them. Is it true?

Is the program really as stressful and unbearable . I heard from a couple students that it wasnt worth it for them. Is it true?

stressful - yes

unbearable... depends on yourself, the school has a strong graduating class every year, so it must be bearable for some! :p

My interview is tomorrow at 2. Ugh, I'm so nervous. Actually it was finding this forum that made me much more nervous- people have already gotten waitlisted? Jesus.

I have no pharmacy experience yet but I am graduating in May with a B.A. in biochemistry from a very prestigious college, so maybe that will help? I don't know. I do have research experience so that may be a plus, but I'm still worried. Anyway, I just wanted to pop by here and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hey guys,
How do you know if your file is complete and everything is sent in?

My interview is tomorrow at 2. Ugh, I'm so nervous. Actually it was finding this forum that made me much more nervous- people have already gotten waitlisted? Jesus.

I have no pharmacy experience yet but I am graduating in May with a B.A. in biochemistry from a very prestigious college, so maybe that will help? I don't know. I do have research experience so that may be a plus, but I'm still worried. Anyway, I just wanted to pop by here and I'll let you all know how it goes.

we do have a lot of students who don't have pharmacy experience but have research experience, so dont' worry~

Marenda87: they will send you a letter letting you know how your portfolio is doing, or if you can't wait, you can always call and ask :p

Interviewed on 11/19 and got my letter tonight!!!! Champagne is on me! :hardy:

Are 1-2 minute responses too long for the interview? I don't know how long a "short and sweet" response should be :eek:!!

Are 1-2 minute responses too long for the interview? I don't know how long a "short and sweet" response should be :eek:!!

I think as long as your responses are interesting and keep your interviewer's ears perked up, you are fine. A short and sweet response is one that enables you to say what you want to say in a smart/professional way without going into circles and not touching the question (i think)

Congratulations!!!! is that your first choice or you're still waiting for other schools?

To be honest, I don't really know what my top choice school is. I was very impressed with MCPHS-Worcester, but I have not interviewed anywhere else yet. My plan is to pay the deposit at MCPHS but continue the process at the four other schools that I applied to. I want to see what every program has to offer and then pick the one that fits me best even if I have to lose my deposit. I have an interview in December at Campbell and I am waiting to hear from Nova, Pitt, and Touro. If I don't get accepted into another program, I will still be extremely happy to enter into MCPHS. Now I can relax for all upcoming interviews! No more stress! :hardy:

Hey you know on the application where it said list 3 other top schools u applied to, i actually filled it out...was that mistake on my part?

Hey you know on the application where it said list 3 other top schools u applied to, i actually filled it out...was that mistake on my part?

I don't think they use that against you, I think it's for info purposes... but maybe others have insights on this

I listed 3 schools on my application and I was just accepted. If anything, it shows the adcom that if they don't offer you admission soon, another school just might snatch you away!

My interview is at 9:30am tomorrow, and I will be there at 9:00am and just hope for the best O_O!!

I am at Crowne Plaza Hotel right now but had a chance to walk to MCPHS earlier in the afternoon. IT IS SO COOL TO ACTUALLY *SEEEE* THINGS IN PERSON AS OPPOSED TO JUST VIEWING THE PHOTOS ON THE SCHOOL WEBSITE... lololol :laugh::laugh: I am shy though so was too scared to approach any of the students. You guys all look so smart wearing the white coats--I felt intimidated LOL :oops:

At this point, I am pretty much just going to try and relax before my interview. I will write up my questions to ask MCPHS in the morning, but that will be about it. Honestly I feel that acceptance is unlikely, mainly because of my extremely low GPA (3.06 cum; 3.2something pre-pharm; 3.4something math/sci), however, I have decided that my goal is not to get IN, but to get OUT knowing that I gave it my very best. Cheers!

haha.. i think that's the point of having to wear our white coats all the time, it makes us "look" smart.. now i said "look" in "" haha....

good luck tmr, we have class at 9:30.. so maybe they'll take you into our class to take a look!

My interview is at 9:30am tomorrow, and I will be there at 9:00am and just hope for the best O_O!!

I am at Crowne Plaza Hotel right now but had a chance to walk to MCPHS earlier in the afternoon. IT IS SO COOL TO ACTUALLY *SEEEE* THINGS IN PERSON AS OPPOSED TO JUST VIEWING THE PHOTOS ON THE SCHOOL WEBSITE... lololol :laugh::laugh: I am shy though so was too scared to approach any of the students. You guys all look so smart wearing the white coats--I felt intimidated LOL :oops:

At this point, I am pretty much just going to try and relax before my interview. I will write up my questions to ask MCPHS in the morning, but that will be about it. Honestly I feel that acceptance is unlikely, mainly because of my extremely low GPA (3.06 cum; 3.2something pre-pharm; 3.4something math/sci), however, I have decided that my goal is not to get IN, but to get OUT knowing that I gave it my very best. Cheers!

Look at the essay questions that I wrote on a post in this thread for they will appear! Best of luck, and don't worry you will be fine, oh and you will love the school :)

Look at the essay questions that I wrote on a post in this thread for they will appear! Best of luck, and don't worry you will be fine, oh and you will love the school :)

yup, and prepare yourself to talk about handling stress and stuff like that, I'm pretty sure they will ask you something related to that, because it's accelerated program, hence, more stressful than the 4 yrs

Most importantly what is your weakness? Because I had no idea what to say to that...

Most importantly what is your weakness? Because I had no idea what to say to that...

yea. .make sure you are consistant with what you wrote on your application's 'short answer' section

Thank you all for the advice and insights!

Thankfully I have read like 11204 MCPHS-Worcester threads, so I do have a weakness in mind (that is also consistent with my supp app response yay).

My biggest problem now is that when I get nervous, I start stuttering/pronouncing words wrong LOL, so actually forming good responses will be a challenge :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the advice and insights!

Thankfully I have read like 11204 MCPHS-Worcester threads, so I do have a weakness in mind (that is also consistent with my supp app response yay).

My biggest problem now is that when I get nervous, I start stuttering/pronouncing words wrong LOL, so actually forming good responses will be a challenge :rolleyes:

I think most of them do a good job to take it slow.. ease you.. it's good to get there like early.. and start walking ard school.. or just sit in the office and make small talks with the person at the desk.. I don't know if it's still Kate, but they are all nice. the less you think abt it tmr morning, the less u'll be nervous, don't rehearse things, just let it come naturally. :luck: