MCPHS? Pros vs Cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndchanceopto

Reaction score
I just wanted to hear everyones opinions about MCPHS optometry. (especially current students!)

Members don't see this ad.

Yo! I'm a current student.
We're underrated, I guess, because we're new and our boards pass rates aren't the highest at the moment.
BUT I think it's on the come-up and my class is only like 40-something people so we really get a chance to hone our clinical skills, especially since they throw you in to their on-campus clinic to do an almost full work-up up (up to dilation) as early as fall of your second year.

Downtown Worcester's also on the up-and-up as a "college town" so it's kinda dead
BUT Boston's only an hour away by train so there's always that to fall back on. I Also enjoy that it's a big school overall so you get to meet pharm, nursing, PA, what-have-you students as well.

I don't know what points you wanted me to hit but I'm on break and I don't know what to do with myself so I'll answer questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I am a current student too and I completely agree with the above post. We ARE underrated due to the board scores. But the Optometry program here just got fully accredited in summer and they taught us really rigorous skills right in the first year. Now they are going exactly by the boards and how the boards test you.
Trust me... i learned alotttttt
And it was a very tough and demanding semester but alot of us made it through and we all feel very accomplished. Clinically and academically.