-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MCV???
Started by Josh Karp
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Go to MCV!
I don't know about Finch's residency match, but I think you would get a better education at MCV. I chose it over NYMC and will be attending there if UCSD doesn't pull through. You get an incredible amount of client contact, begin work in the doctor's office your second week, and also get to do your rotations in various areas of Virginia. I think the biggest downfall I saw, besides safety of the area, was that there was a skewed patient population - primarily African-American. But, the best pathology is represented in this ethnic category, so it will serve you well.
Other reasons include:
-MCV's name will carry you farther than Finch will, which has its added benefits.
-there is the potential for an MD-MPH dual degree
-large amounts of opportunities to partake in community service or research
-orientation is mid-august, NOT the end of July
Some forum links that might provide more insight into the school are:
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013177" target="_blank">Topic: Virginia Schools - MCV/VCU, UVa, EVMS. Which did you prefer? </a>
and
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013282" target="_blank">Topic: MCV/VCU: your opinions?</a>
good luck with your decision.
I don't know about Finch's residency match, but I think you would get a better education at MCV. I chose it over NYMC and will be attending there if UCSD doesn't pull through. You get an incredible amount of client contact, begin work in the doctor's office your second week, and also get to do your rotations in various areas of Virginia. I think the biggest downfall I saw, besides safety of the area, was that there was a skewed patient population - primarily African-American. But, the best pathology is represented in this ethnic category, so it will serve you well.
Other reasons include:
-MCV's name will carry you farther than Finch will, which has its added benefits.
-there is the potential for an MD-MPH dual degree
-large amounts of opportunities to partake in community service or research
-orientation is mid-august, NOT the end of July
Some forum links that might provide more insight into the school are:
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013177" target="_blank">Topic: Virginia Schools - MCV/VCU, UVa, EVMS. Which did you prefer? </a>
and
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013282" target="_blank">Topic: MCV/VCU: your opinions?</a>
good luck with your decision.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks, labrynth. i think i'm leaning more and more towards VCU.
but i think Finch/CMS DOES have a good name/rep in california. i mean, the most represented school AND state there, is UCLA and california....so lots of kids go back to CA for residencies, and lots of hospitals know of it. and rotations are done in downtown Chicago, so it is good prep too. i don't know if VCU is much known out in california. most people say, UVA???? what's VCU?
hahah...
but yeah...instead of my summer ending July22nd for CMS....now it will last till Aug14th for VCU!!!
but i think Finch/CMS DOES have a good name/rep in california. i mean, the most represented school AND state there, is UCLA and california....so lots of kids go back to CA for residencies, and lots of hospitals know of it. and rotations are done in downtown Chicago, so it is good prep too. i don't know if VCU is much known out in california. most people say, UVA???? what's VCU?
hahah...
but yeah...instead of my summer ending July22nd for CMS....now it will last till Aug14th for VCU!!!
Hi! I got notification of acceptance via email update on my application status and a few days later got the acceptance in snail mail (all of this happened at beg. of May). I'm out-of-state, but withdrew soon after the acceptance.
Also, there was some mention of EVMS on this thread, so I'll comment about that too. I was told in March that I was in the upper third of the waitlist, but when I called in May I had dropped down to the middle third. After finding out I was in the hold/waitlist category in March I sent in a letter of interest and one of my profs sent in an additional LOR for my file. I don't think I did that for MCV... go figure. 😕
Best wishes to all those waiting to hear! 🙂
Also, there was some mention of EVMS on this thread, so I'll comment about that too. I was told in March that I was in the upper third of the waitlist, but when I called in May I had dropped down to the middle third. After finding out I was in the hold/waitlist category in March I sent in a letter of interest and one of my profs sent in an additional LOR for my file. I don't think I did that for MCV... go figure. 😕
Best wishes to all those waiting to hear! 🙂
Hey FU...CMS. Well, I'm from California (I go/went to UC Berkeley) and would love to match back to a California hospital. I went to their Match list for this year and it seems that there are a decent # of CA hospitals, with most being UC Medical hospitals or affiliated hospitals. There were even sending people to Kaiser! I can see that Finch might send lots of people back to CA, but are many of them sent to Medical School/University hospitals? I definitely want to do my residency at a teaching hospital because I think it provides one of the best trainings for future work as a physician (esp. in CA).
The link is here (sorry, I'm mad obsessed with all this linking stuff):
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/admissions/match.htm" target="_blank">Medical College of Virginia Match List 2002</a>
This link also has statistics for the last 4 years regarding % of class who matched to one of their top three choices. Unfortunately, the Match List is NOT divided into specialties and does not tell us how many people went to each institution and what they are doing their residencies in. I don't know if they have this list, but if you do get one then please send me a copy!!!
If this link doesn't work for you, then go to <a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation</a> . Then go to the "Admissions" category and then to the "Match Hospitals and Statistics" link.
The link is here (sorry, I'm mad obsessed with all this linking stuff):
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/admissions/match.htm" target="_blank">Medical College of Virginia Match List 2002</a>
This link also has statistics for the last 4 years regarding % of class who matched to one of their top three choices. Unfortunately, the Match List is NOT divided into specialties and does not tell us how many people went to each institution and what they are doing their residencies in. I don't know if they have this list, but if you do get one then please send me a copy!!!
If this link doesn't work for you, then go to <a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation</a> . Then go to the "Admissions" category and then to the "Match Hospitals and Statistics" link.
yeah. i saw that MatchList. but it doesn't have specialties or numbers of people.
here is CMS's. it's pretty impressive, i think. lots of CA hospitals, and lots of UC hospitals:
<a href="http://www.finchcms.edu/osa/Resources/2002mr.htm" target="_blank">http://www.finchcms.edu/osa/Resources/2002mr.htm</a>
but i think the high CA #'s is b/c of the high # of cali students at CMS....
here is CMS's. it's pretty impressive, i think. lots of CA hospitals, and lots of UC hospitals:
<a href="http://www.finchcms.edu/osa/Resources/2002mr.htm" target="_blank">http://www.finchcms.edu/osa/Resources/2002mr.htm</a>
but i think the high CA #'s is b/c of the high # of cali students at CMS....
hump 😛
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Anath:
•Hump?
What's that supposed ta mean???•••••oops, I meant bump!
I guess I have a dirty mind :wink:
Just trying to spice this thread up!
•Hump?
What's that supposed ta mean???•••••oops, I meant bump!
I guess I have a dirty mind :wink:
Just trying to spice this thread up!
sweet. i hate the Lakers with a passion, but i guess i'll see you at MCV in august.
what's up with sending in a photo and all the other orientation check-list requirements? HepB shots BEFORE you start? what? is Richmond a hot-zone of HepB or what?
i'm just glad that they have an undergrad, and undergrad gyms to play undergrad pick-up ball with. and IMs!
can you try out for collegiate sports as a med student???
what's up with sending in a photo and all the other orientation check-list requirements? HepB shots BEFORE you start? what? is Richmond a hot-zone of HepB or what?
i'm just glad that they have an undergrad, and undergrad gyms to play undergrad pick-up ball with. and IMs!
can you try out for collegiate sports as a med student???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you can go ahead and check the orienation web-site at:
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/</a>
under marticulation log-in there's a section where you can view a list of people looking for roommates/apartments; you can also post your information. to access the marticulation log-in the school has to receive and process your $100 deposit.
as far as the hep-b vaccination goes every med school requires it. for vcu/mcv you have to have at least the first shot before starting school. it takes 3 shots to be complete hep-b vaccination.
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/</a>
under marticulation log-in there's a section where you can view a list of people looking for roommates/apartments; you can also post your information. to access the marticulation log-in the school has to receive and process your $100 deposit.
as far as the hep-b vaccination goes every med school requires it. for vcu/mcv you have to have at least the first shot before starting school. it takes 3 shots to be complete hep-b vaccination.
you can go ahead and check the orienation web-site at:
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/</a>
under marticulation log-in there's a section where you can view a list of people looking for roommates/apartments; you can also post your information. to access the marticulation log-in the school has to receive and process your $100 deposit.
as far as the hep-b vaccination goes every med school requires it. for vcu/mcv you have to have at least the first shot before starting school. it takes 3 shots to be complete hep-b vaccination.
<a href="http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/" target="_blank">http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/orientation/</a>
under marticulation log-in there's a section where you can view a list of people looking for roommates/apartments; you can also post your information. to access the marticulation log-in the school has to receive and process your $100 deposit.
as far as the hep-b vaccination goes every med school requires it. for vcu/mcv you have to have at least the first shot before starting school. it takes 3 shots to be complete hep-b vaccination.
you can also go under housing on the orientation web-site and select 'off-campus' or 'campus' based housing.
under off-campus housing select 'searchable database' or just follow this link:
<a href="http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/och/" target="_blank">http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/och/</a>
under off-campus housing select 'searchable database' or just follow this link:
<a href="http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/och/" target="_blank">http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/och/</a>
•••quote:•••Originally posted by tryingtogetinMEDschool:
•I am also planning to go to VCU/MCV this august.
Congrats to my classmates and good luck to those waiting•••••I second this! I hope you all get in. I know of one person who just told me he is deferring until next year so his slot will open up shortly!! Best of luck, and I hope to see you on August 14th.
Joe
•I am also planning to go to VCU/MCV this august.
Congrats to my classmates and good luck to those waiting•••••I second this! I hope you all get in. I know of one person who just told me he is deferring until next year so his slot will open up shortly!! Best of luck, and I hope to see you on August 14th.
Joe
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Amy B
I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I am on vacation now, using the hotel's TV internet access and thought I would pass on this info to those following this thread's topic.
Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble on this thread, but MCV won't be moving very fast for in-staters this year. The movement at this point is based on the number of instaters getting off the waitlist at UVA. The MCV dean said that the dean of UVA said her list is having almost no movement, which is very strange. This is insider info that is not welcome news for instate waitlisters. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I will be thinking about the waitlisters and keep my fingers crossed.
Amy
Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble on this thread, but MCV won't be moving very fast for in-staters this year. The movement at this point is based on the number of instaters getting off the waitlist at UVA. The MCV dean said that the dean of UVA said her list is having almost no movement, which is very strange. This is insider info that is not welcome news for instate waitlisters. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I will be thinking about the waitlisters and keep my fingers crossed.
Amy
Hey all,
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be withdrawing from MCV/VCU by the end of the week or the beginning of next week - I'm just waiting to get the official paperwork from another school. I was accepted this past monday to my state school (UCSD!!!! 😍 ) off the waitlist, so I'm incredibly ecstatic. 😀
Good luck to you all!~ and I hope my spot goes to one of you lucky people.
By the way, i'm out-of-state.
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be withdrawing from MCV/VCU by the end of the week or the beginning of next week - I'm just waiting to get the official paperwork from another school. I was accepted this past monday to my state school (UCSD!!!! 😍 ) off the waitlist, so I'm incredibly ecstatic. 😀
Good luck to you all!~ and I hope my spot goes to one of you lucky people.

By the way, i'm out-of-state.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay, I officially withdrew. Good luck out-of-staters! (and in-staters, too 🙂 )
can someone please tell me what the hell BUMP means
Originally posted by Pickle Salt
can someone please tell me what the hell BUMP means
It means that you are taking the thread or bumping the thread back to the top of the forum. That way it doesn't get lost or maybe someone will take pity on the thread and answer it so it won't have to die a slow and painful death.
BUMPITY BUMPITY BUMP BUMP
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 5K
- Poll
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 5K
- Locked
- Replies
- 24
- Views
- 10K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 6K