VCU (MCV) vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennischik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry for another "this school vs. that school" thread, but I really would love some feedback from my peers before making a decision between these two great schools!

I really liked both schools when I interviewed, and I actually find them similar in several ways. Both in rough neighborhoods, which means both have a focus on providing care to underserved populations (which is very important to me). Both have new fancy med school building. Both have great research and clinical experience opportunities, although MCV probably has an edge on the clinical side with their ICRP program. Temple wins out in both the research and primary care rankings. For curriculum, I definitely like Temple better because of its block schedule, which seems more manageable than having several separate subjects at one time. MCV's curriculum seems a little more old-fashioned in its approach. As for the administrations, I have been really impressed with MCV. They have been really on top of things and speedy throughout the application process, and they send lots of updates and information to accepted students. I think that reflects well on them.

In terms of location, I think I would like Philly better than Richmond, but that is based only on my brief visits for the interviews. I am from the west coast and have always lived in a major city or near a major city, so I have to admit that I never imagined myself living in Virginia. That said, I did really enjoy my visit there. Oh and the money... MCV is $44,000 for OOS and Temple is $53,000 OOS - fairly big price difference over the course of 4 years. Financial aid is not really a factor, as my parents make too much money for me to qualify (but are not funding my med school education). I won't qualify for merit based scholarships either.

Okay sorry for all the rambling. The bottom line is I like both schools and am having trouble deciding. Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, sorry for another "this school vs. that school" thread, but I really would love some feedback from my peers before making a decision between these two great schools!

I really liked both schools when I interviewed, and I actually find them similar in several ways. Both in rough neighborhoods, which means both have a focus on providing care to underserved populations (which is very important to me). Both have new fancy med school building. Both have great research and clinical experience opportunities, although MCV probably has an edge on the clinical side with their ICRP program. Temple wins out in both the research and primary care rankings. For curriculum, I definitely like Temple better because of its block schedule, which seems more manageable than having several separate subjects at one time. MCV's curriculum seems a little more old-fashioned in its approach. As for the administrations, I have been really impressed with MCV. They have been really on top of things and speedy throughout the application process, and they send lots of updates and information to accepted students. I think that reflects well on them.

In terms of location, I think I would like Philly better than Richmond, but that is based only on my brief visits for the interviews. I am from the west coast and have always lived in a major city or near a major city, so I have to admit that I never imagined myself living in Virginia. That said, I did really enjoy my visit there. Oh and the money... MCV is $44,000 for OOS and Temple is $53,000 OOS - fairly big price difference over the course of 4 years. Financial aid is not really a factor, as my parents make too much money for me to qualify (but are not funding my med school education). I won't qualify for merit based scholarships either.

Okay sorry for all the rambling. The bottom line is I like both schools and am having trouble deciding. Thoughts anyone?

Both of them are decent schools and will get you where you want to be but with such a hefty price difference I would go with VCU especially since after 4 years and interest you're looking at close to 50k price difference. VCU has a pretty decent financial aid office/system and they are very open to giving out scholarships.

I personally would take VCU.

My reasoning - PA is on a budget cut frenzy and I just don't know how much you are going to be paying for Temple come three or four years from now. Also, I'm from around Philly and I just don't like the location of Temple. This is no judgment on Temple as a school, just two 'issues' that would come along with attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you like both schools more or less equally, and with such a big price difference, I'd probably choose VCU.

I personally would take VCU.

My reasoning - PA is on a budget cut frenzy and I just don't know how much you are going to be paying for Temple come three or four years from now. Also, I'm from around Philly and I just don't like the location of Temple. This is no judgment on Temple as a school, just two 'issues' that would come along with attendance.

^ I agree with this. I interviewed at both schools and was only accepted to Temple, but I would have picked VCU out of the two (and I'm a PA resident, so they are about the same price). The PA budget thing is also a big concern for the future (which I am unfortunately stuck with) and Temple is already crazy expensive for OOS. Go for VCU! :)

In my opinion, I would pick Temple (though I may be a bit biased because I am from the region). It's a great school that is on the rise, especially with its recent push for research. I also really liked Temple's curriculum, aside from the H/P/F aspect of it. Philadelphia is a pretty vibrant city with lots to do, as opposed to Richmond which closes by 9 pm (at least from when I've been there, everything is dead at night!).

If you had in-state tuition it would be easy, but you have to decide if the extra cost is worth it to you.

Also, FWIW, I never applied to nor interviewed at VCU.

VCU's curriculum is more traditional, but it is on a block schedule as well and it's Pass/Fail! I am not familiar with Temple's curriculum, but VCU's block schedule consists of having 2-3 classes in a single period of time (ie., genetics and anatomy are grouped together and once that block period ends, you move onto another cluster of subjects). Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
VCU's curriculum is more traditional, but it is on a block schedule as well and it's Pass/Fail! I am not familiar with Temple's curriculum, but VCU's block schedule consisting of having 2-3 classes in a single period of time (ie., genetics and anatomy are grouped together and once that block period ends, you move onto another cluster of subjects). Good luck on your decision!

Traditional meaning lecture-only?
What have you heard about the classes? Did you get any insight on what it ends up being like?

Traditional meaning lecture-only?
What have you heard about the classes? Did you get any insight on what it ends up being like?

I think it's basically lecture-only. There is small group work and shadowing in the Foundations of Clinical Medicine course, which runs the entire year for about one afternoon a week. I haven't heard a lot about the classes, but it seems like there will be some really good lecturers and some lecturers who aren't so great, which isn't too different from undergrad.

VCU's curriculum is more traditional, but it is on a block schedule as well and it's Pass/Fail! I am not familiar with Temple's curriculum, but VCU's block schedule consists of having 2-3 classes in a single period of time (ie., genetics and anatomy are grouped together and once that block period ends, you move onto another cluster of subjects). Good luck on your decision!
Temple is H/P/F but it is based on class performance, not a curve. Theoretically every one in the class could get honors and my class has been very cooperative and helpful with each other.

Most of Temple's blocks are by system. You start with gross anatomy, then biochem, then we have three blocks of systems. Each of those blocks consists of physiology, histology, and embryology for those blocks. We also have small-group kind of stuff with labs and workshops (how often we have these varies by block) that I personally really like because I feel like I comprehend stuff better after those. Those things are all from 8-12 Monday to Friday. Occasionally there might be something for the block from 1-2, and sometimes finals are at a different time, but generally, the block stuff is done by noon. Doctoring is from 1-3 (sometimes 1-2) on Mondays for the lecture and the colleges mean from either 1-3 or 3-5 during the week (no college meets on Friday).

I am very happy here but I wouldn't blame you for following the money. Temple was my first choice after interviewing, and then they gave me money so I had the easiest decision ever. I figured, going into it last year, that a difference of $10K/year would be where I would struggle to choose without considering the price. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.