MCW class of '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone here had a med sub-i at dert? what is a typical day like? just wondering because i have mine in two months and i have heard horror stories. one guy told me that on a non-call day he would show up at 6 and leave at 10 pm. this doesn't sound right to me. can some of the wise shed some light on this, please? thank you

I was there, and it wasn't bad my month. Usually got there around 7, and we'd round at 8:30 or 9. Non-call days I left between 3 and 4. Post call the latest I left was 1:30. On DAT (daytime admitting) you can get hosed and be there late (9 or 10), but you only have a few of those.

Members don't see this ad.

It is always going to depend on your month and (perhaps more importantly) what residents you end up enslaved to. St. Joes family medicine sub-i is supposed to be one of the easiest, but the whole city was so swamped with admissions in February that there was really no escaping it anywhere.

From what I have heard I actually think the VA may be worse than Froedtert.

I was on youtube searching for animal videos per my toddler's various suggestions. Needless to say he was a bit disturbed by the following alligator clip.

[youtube]zOETlkc_nNY[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap that made my day!!

That and when a psych patient today said that he helped calculate the results of the Kennedy election with an abacus.

I was on youtube searching for animal videos per my toddler's various suggestions. Needless to say he was a bit disturbed by the following alligator clip.

Loved the video, so I sent it to my brothers.

Btw... I think I saw you in the Dert today when I was walking back from Children's Corporate Center with some friends.

Loved the video, so I sent it to my brothers.

Btw... I think I saw you in the Dert today when I was walking back from Children's Corporate Center with some friends.

Yeah I was on my way to the GI department to get a pH probe put in my esophagus for the next 24 hours. It's already a bit old. But they're paying me $75.

I stopped getting emails about the fMRI studies. Some of the studies seem neat.

Yeah they're not bad if you have a light month and you have time. Extra money is nice. I have done a few of the fMRI ones too. I think there was one a couple years back where they got you drunk intravenously and looked for differences in your sphincter reactivity etc. I have also missed a couple where they let you play with a driving simulator and see how your reaction times are compared to people with severe liver disease.

Yeah they're not bad if you have a light month and you have time. Extra money is nice. I have done a few of the fMRI ones too. I think there was one a couple years back where they got you drunk intravenously and looked for differences in your sphincter reactivity etc. I have also missed a couple where they let you play with a driving simulator and see how your reaction times are compared to people with severe liver disease.

A couple of my buddies have volunteered to help train police officers in the administration of roadside sobriety tests by having drinks and going through serial tests with them. The police dept. even let them name their drink of choice for the night, and gave them rides home in cruisers!

A couple of my buddies have volunteered to help train police officers in the administration of roadside sobriety tests by having drinks and going through serial tests with them. The police dept. even let them name their drink of choice for the night, and gave them rides home in cruisers!

One of my favorite days in EMT school was when the cops in the classroom next door were practicing pepper spraying each other. We all had a great time watching that. I still want to pepper spray myself one of these days. If I ever do I guarantee I will video tape it.

i did an fMRI study that required me to differentiate if a beep was shorter than another (by very small fractions of a second) in one ear while in the other ear I had to determine if, in a series of beeps, one beep was out of pitch with the others. Combine that with the noise of the MRI machine and it was like being inside an aircraft that was going down for an hour and a half.

And they also made me do the same exercise with an EEG on.

Made decent money on that one though. overall i think i spent about 6-8 hours working on that study with scanner, EEG, and training time.

Considering my ability to sit still (or lack thereof, as Ashers and Funk can attest to), I'm amazed I made it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering my ability to sit still (or lack thereof, as Ashers and Funk can attest to), I'm amazed I made it through.

My problem with MRIs is that they put me to sleep. I think I fell asleep briefly in the 2 studies I did.

I really wanted to do the Tetris one... where they had you play tetris for the study. I can play that game for hours.

My problem with MRIs is that they put me to sleep. I think I fell asleep briefly in the 2 studies I did.

I really wanted to do the Tetris one... where they had you play tetris for the study. I can play that game for hours.

I can play that game for 2 minutes.

Yeah I have fallen asleep in the fMRI too. I remember also attempting to have inappropriate thoughts about the GI fellow conducting the study because I thought it would be funny when unexpected areas of my limbic system lit up.

Yeah I have fallen asleep in the fMRI too. I remember also attempting to have inappropriate thoughts about the GI fellow conducting the study because I thought it would be funny when unexpected areas of my limbic system lit up.

watersports?

was this fellow not actually a fellow, but a lady? or did you want some very different areas of your brain to light up? Now that would throw off the study...

was this fellow not actually a fellow, but a lady? or did you want some very different areas of your brain to light up? Now that would throw off the study...

Thank you for the clarification. She was indeed female. Is there a word for a woman doing a fellowship? There should be.

Hey guys, totally sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I'm put the MCW emergency medicine residency on my list this year (i'm a M4 at another school). I was wondering what you guys thought of the program and what your interactions have been with the residents and attendings. I'm up for hearing the good and the bad! I'd really appreciate your time if you could drop me a "PM"! Thanks guys!

Hey guys, totally sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I'm put the MCW emergency medicine residency on my list this year (i'm a M4 at another school). I was wondering what you guys thought of the program and what your interactions have been with the residents and attendings. I'm up for hearing the good and the bad! I'd really appreciate your time if you could drop me a "PM"! Thanks guys!

No worries, changing the subject of this thread is probably for the better.

I never really interacted with the froedtert ER attendings but I did a month in the ER at Children's and everyone was varying levels of good to great. I don't know how much of your time you will end up spending over there.

Fellow for men and fellow for women. It could be the same!

Sort of like "Doctor".

Hey, don't assume anyone wants to be called Sir, Ma'am, or Doctor! Did you learn nothing from Psych?

Fellow for men and fellow for women. It could be the same!

Sort of like "Doctor".
Except fellow is also used as a synonym for a man, much like if yeasterbunny had said he was thinking dirty thoughts about the guy running the test. If he'd said doctor, it would've been gender neutral.

Except fellow is also used as a synonym for a man, much like if yeasterbunny had said he was thinking dirty thoughts about the guy running the test. If he'd said doctor, it would've been gender neutral.

It's funny. I immediately knew fellow meant, "person completing a fellowship", rather than "a guy" in this context. And then, it never occurred to me to wonder what sex of person the Yeasterbunny was thinking about thinking about to change the results of the test. There are just some things I don't need to know, and the theoretical context of hypothetical fantasies are right up there.

So how do I get into these studies? I emailed the blood center once about a study, they said they'd get back to me cuz the person was on vacation that week then never heard back.

I searched the MCW website once, but to no avail. The only signs i ever saw at school were for males for vision.

I really, really, really need money.

So how do I get into these studies? I emailed the blood center once about a study, they said they'd get back to me cuz the person was on vacation that week then never heard back.

I searched the MCW website once, but to no avail. The only signs i ever saw at school were for males for vision.

I really, really, really need money.
Check out the bulletin board across from your open mailbox. I saw 3-4 offers up there, and I think healthy (AKA, you don't need diabetes to participate) females were eligible.

Otherwise, look up Covance in Madison if you ever have a few days off. They have high-paying studies going on sometimes.

And I got a flyer on my car about how you can make extra cash in your spare time...

Check out the bulletin board across from your open mailbox. I saw 3-4 offers up there, and I think healthy (AKA, you don't need diabetes to participate) females were eligible.

Otherwise, look up Covance in Madison if you ever have a few days off. They have high-paying studies going on sometimes.

And I got a flyer on my car about how you can make extra cash in your spare time...

Most of the studies at Covance require overnight stays ranging from a couple days to weeks. I went down that route between M1/M2 years. Tried to get into a study that paid $5000. I got reject because of admitting to headaches about 3x/year. And they got cold feet about my sulfa allergy, even though they okay'd that over the phone, and the study involved taking a psych drug. I was so pissed because I had already been at the center for 2 hours before being told I couldn't be a subject. Plus they said that you could be in a study, but they take on more people than they need, so you'll arrive the first day, hang out all day getting physicals and stuff, then they cut a bunch of people without compensation.

I'll have to swing by the bullentin boards I guess.

It's funny. I immediately knew fellow meant, "person completing a fellowship", rather than "a guy" in this context. And then, it never occurred to me to wonder what sex of person the Yeasterbunny was thinking about thinking about to change the results of the test. There are just some things I don't need to know, and the theoretical context of hypothetical fantasies are right up there.

Me too. I just assumed the fellow was female.

fmri research: http://www.firc.mcw.edu/

there's a tab on the side for volunteers. be warned: most are during normal work hours, so you'll have a hard go of it (except on CPR).

There's always "donating"/selling plasma if you're super desperate for $$. There are a couple of places down by the marquette campus, but I have to warn you the facilities may not be in the best of neighborhoods and you will meet some interesting folks there. My bf used to do it when I was in undergrad. The only problem is people would see his arms and accuse him of IVDU. But I guess since it's winter you could wear long sleeves...

I hear sperm banks pay fairly well. Oh, wait...

Okay, you can sell your eggs too. It's more invasive, but I've heard of people getting a few grand for that. You get loaded up on hormones so that tons of your eggs mature simultaneously, and they go in with a big needle.

Okay, you can sell your eggs too. It's more invasive, but I've heard of people getting a few grand for that. You get loaded up on hormones so that tons of your eggs mature simultaneously, and they go in with a big needle.

i'd totally donate sperm if they did it that way for guys.

There's always "donating"/selling plasma if you're super desperate for $$. There are a couple of places down by the marquette campus, but I have to warn you the facilities may not be in the best of neighborhoods and you will meet some interesting folks there. My bf used to do it when I was in undergrad. The only problem is people would see his arms and accuse him of IVDU. But I guess since it's winter you could wear long sleeves...

Actually I'm already doing that, but thanks for the suggestion! :)

Actually I'm already doing that, but thanks for the suggestion! :)

i'll pay you twice whatever your current plasma acceptor is taking, but i can't guarantee you'll be happy with what I do with the plasma.

i'll pay you twice whatever your current plasma acceptor is taking, but i can't guarantee you'll be happy with what I do with the plasma.

Margaritas!

Do they still show you guys the freaky dancing hippy protein synthesis movie in biochem?

[youtube]u9dhO0iCLww[/youtube]

also stupid: the PCR song

[YOUTUBE]x5yPkxCLads[/YOUTUBE]

I accept. In your case though, I'll need the money up front.