MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, I just saw everyone's favorite arse.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, sorry. I had to go tour the OB floor. And this morning I think I saw you sleeping in ground rounds but I had to snag Dr. Kutty afterward to tell him why I can't take his required exam while my wife is having labor induced next week. It doesn't look like he's going to be sympathetic. This happened with my last child too, the dang CER course director (**spits**) would not let me delay the final exam mere hours after my son was born (~2 am).
Yeah, he was trying to make someone come in during their week off for something, and he wouldn't take no for an answer until she said that she'd be halfway across the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, sorry. I had to go tour the OB floor. And this morning I think I saw you sleeping in ground rounds but I had to snag Dr. Kutty afterward to tell him why I can't take his required exam while my wife is having labor induced next week. It doesn't look like he's going to be sympathetic. This happened with my last child too, the dang CER course director (**spits**) would not let me delay the final exam mere hours after my son was born (~2 am).

this brings up a few questions:
Why were you staring at me?
Was it that obvious?
I was sleeping?

That's what I get for "being a team player" and hanging out with the rest of the team at ungodly hours when I had already admitted my patients.

this brings up a few questions:
Why were you staring at me?
Was it that obvious?
I was sleeping?

That's what I get for "being a team player" and hanging out with the rest of the team at ungodly hours when I had already admitted my patients.

Let me rephrase: Out of pure chance I happened to notice without staring that the person I think might be you had their eyes closed consistent with sleeping.

Let me rephrase: Out of pure chance I happened to notice without staring that the person I think might be you had their eyes closed consistent with sleeping.

"Clinical correlation recommended."

I also recommend one day, not necessarily right away, getting a nice, dressier winter coat. People look kinda funny in their professional attire for the hospital with a snowboarding jacket on. I like wool with a good, but not bulky, insulating material.

Other winter clothes, pretty much any store, but sports and hunting/outdoors stores like Gander Mountain already mentioned are good. You can always go cheaper with thrift or walmart.

As for boots, sorry, but I haven't bought any since grade school so I don't have any advice for that. Except for my ugg lookalike but cheaper "boots" I got for taking my dog out in the winter.

Is there any difference between a down jacket and parka? Is one better than the other?

Down jackets are light and poofy usually. You'll feel like a bubble. I prefer a parka. Go with personal preference.

Is there any difference between a down jacket and parka? Is one better than the other?

No idea what a parka is. I have a down jacket that goes to my knees. It's great for when it's <0.

While I have many nice jackets, I tend to wear my warm snowboarding jacket more often since it's warmer than wool coats. I see nothing wrong with it, since we get to the hospital and take it off.

I like having something with a hood as an extra layer to protect my head and neck. But a warning: On a snowy day, put the hood up right away. If you wait until snow has fallen into the hood and THEN put it up, it won't feel so very good.

Personally, though, unless I'm going somewhere when I'll be outside more than 5-10 minutes, I wear a light jacket. Unless, of course, it's absolutely ridiculous freezing. On the other hand, good idea to have a warm jacket available in the car in case you happen to run into a light pole on your way to school some day in snowy weather.

Also, get an ice scraper for the car. Very soon. Get one with a brush on one end, a scraper on the other, and that telescopes so it makes for super easy reaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, though, unless I'm going somewhere when I'll be outside more than 5-10 minutes, I wear a light jacket.

This is for Yankees. Don't try this if you are from places with civilized weather.

Personally, though, unless I'm going somewhere when I'll be outside more than 5-10 minutes, I wear a light jacket. Unless, of course, it's absolutely ridiculous freezing. On the other hand, good idea to have a warm jacket available in the car in case you happen to run into a light pole on your way to school some day in snowy weather.

Also, get an ice scraper for the car. Very soon. Get one with a brush on one end, a scraper on the other, and that telescopes so it makes for super easy reaching.

No car, so no worries for ice scraper. I only have to worry about walking 15-20 minutes in freezing cold weather if I'm not going to or coming back from school with my roommate. And this is situation is pretty often.

No car, so no worries for ice scraper. I only have to worry about walking 15-20 minutes in freezing cold weather if I'm not going to or coming back from school with my roommate. And this is situation is pretty often.

Here's what you need to get started:

1333597.jpg

8e76e6f6-463f-40c3-b031-92bd4ce057f1.jpg

8a08dccd-f845-4808-8b72-13387702b09f.jpg

731e8dd4-395e-4e75-8952-b2aa9bd58a55.jpg

939363.jpg

1346618.jpg

c2791b13-8980-4b1c-a573-710fb2e2173d.jpg

i227001sn02.jpg

887326.jpg

fecd6d66-870a-48da-97e6-478781fcb565.jpg

I walked 40 minutes each way during the winter M1 year. It really wasn't that bad.

Then again I'm from northern Minnesota, where men are men.

It is the same difference as the difference between a bubbler and a drinking fountain.

It is the same difference as the difference between a bubbler and a drinking fountain.

The description of the jacket I posted said "parka" on REI.

And I hope you guys realize most of what I posted was a joke... I don't even own snow shoes. ;)

Hey, indo, did you email about an ortho service? The awesome chief I worked with will be the chief resident on Trauma in december... he was lamenting the fact he probably wouldn't have any students. But then the chief on sports/joints is a guy I worked with one night on call who's also cool.

Yeah I emailed her and she said she couldn't promise anything. But, if the chief on trauma is not going to have any students then it shouldn't be much of an issue. I asked for the joint/sports service because I wanted to get as much exposure to Ortho as possible in my truncated december elective but I'd be more than happy to work on the trauma or foot/spine services.

Honestly what would I need? Please. I'm scared of winter. Asher's help a fellow Californian out.... I thought you were for SoCal, not Hawaii.

Honestly what would I need? Please. I'm scared of winter. Asher's help a fellow Californian out.... I thought you were for SoCal, not Hawaii.

Do what I said. Long underwear (ideally something besides cotton). Warm socks. Heavy jacket with hood. Down versus miscellaneous high tech thermal lining does not matter. BOOTS. Gloves/mittens. Scarf. HAT--ideally one that will cover your ears, better yet one that can cover your face. I grew up in New Orleans and I understand your fears. Get a couple of sweaters. Layers are good.

Winter is scary, but you will not freeze to death. If you cover up well, you will be fine.

Lived in Orange County 'til I was 12, my parents are leaving Maui on Monday after 15 years. =(

Out of all that stuff I posted, I have the:
-- ski goggles (yes, I wear them when it's windy and below zero, your eyes start hurting -- my brothers would do it in spokane too. We didn't buy them specifically for the cold; we bought them because we snowboard and figured we'd get a little more use out of them)
--sunglasses: you don't want to get snowblindness; and they protect your eyes somewhat from the wind
--Jackets: I have a big down jacket (only wear it on <0 days when I'm going to be walking a lot, nice wool coats short length and long length, snowboarding jackets (lots of jackets) I like jackets/coats -- I have about 10 different ones all different styles all for winter or a cold autumn/spring day) If you get multiple jackets, make sure at least one has a nice hood
--snowboots: I own some that look like those northface boots; I wore them into school and changed into tennis shoes and just kept them in my locker. I did the same on rotations.
--scarves/beanies: important, I do have one of the ear flappy things that I got, more for entertainment though. Sometimes you need a beanie + a hood. Make sure you get one that's easy to throw in the washer. I love my Burberry one, but it's dryclean only.
--sweaters: love 'em
--jeans: can't wear them on rotations, but they're perfectly good for watching to school (I got thicker pants for winter rotations/mentor stuff M1/2 year -- makes it easier to walk outside in the winter)
--Uggs: they're slippery, but they kept my toes warm
--socks: buy good socks, I buy most of my stuff at REI
--gloves: I used snowboarding gloves on really cold days with liners; on not so cold days, I had leather gloves. Sam's club has cheap snow gloves which work well.

Extra stuff:
--sled: sledding is fun
--long johns: only used when sledding or snowboarding
--ski pants: same as long johns

Side note: I have raynaud's and really try to keep my fingers and toes warm.

I just wanted to interject that a) that's a cute baby, MV! and b) I think I own two coats, and my gloves, scarf, and hat are cream-colored cashmere. Then again, I'm from Michigan... Is the winter really that bad? Honestly?

I just wanted to interject that a) that's a cute baby, MV! and b) I think I own two coats, and my gloves, scarf, and hat are cream-colored cashmere. Then again, I'm from Michigan... Is the winter really that bad? Honestly?

It wasn't that bad until my hands got fussy on me. I used to bicycle commute year round. But I always wore plenty of clothing. These winters are a huge shock to those of us who came from places were we put on a hat, winter coat, and gloves when the temperature drops to 40.

i already got the last one! im somewhat ready

I just filled out my absentee ballot, and I'm surprised that there's less stuff to vote on in WI than in HI. I expected a CA like ballot that was pages long (at least that's what it was when I bubbled in stuff for my mom in 1992).

I just filled out my absentee ballot, and I'm surprised that there's less stuff to vote on in WI than in HI. I expected a CA like ballot that was pages long (at least that's what it was when I bubbled in stuff for my mom in 1992).

Wisconsin has never been all crazy for referendums like some other states are.

I should've done an absentee ballot this year. I'm taking CS on election day...hopefully I'll be able to make it back up here before the polls close.

I should've done an absentee ballot this year. I'm taking CS on election day...hopefully I'll be able to make it back up here before the polls close.

You should be able to vote in person all the way up to election day if you go to your city council building.

Unless you're planning on voting for McSame. Then you should probably just wait until after you have some post-CS celebratory drinks. Don't worry, I'm sure the polls will still be open. ;)

You should be able to vote in person all the way up to election day if you go to your city council building.

Unless you're planning on voting for McSame. Then you should probably just wait until after you have some post-CS celebratory drinks. Don't worry, I'm sure the polls will still be open. ;)

1 GOP vote was added to WI from HI... though I still dislike him more than ever freaking liberal Republicans.

I miss Reagan.

I miss Reagan.

Dude, you were like 8 years old when he left office. Unless Reagan was responsible for the life-altering themes found in the Care Bears, I'm pretty sure neither of us have any idea what kind of president he was. ;)

Dude, you were like 8 years old when he left office. Unless Reagan was responsible for the life-altering themes found in the Care Bears, I'm pretty sure neither of us have any idea what kind of president he was. ;)

I've read enough biographies about him. :D

One of my friends in HI laments the fact that FDR is no longer president. At least I chose someone from my lifetime. ;)

I've read enough biographies about him. :D

One of my friends in HI laments the fact that FDR is no longer president. At least I chose someone from my lifetime. ;)

I'll give you that. I'm probably throwing rocks from inside my glass house/apt, since I have been known to read plenty of JFK bios myself.

Hey Funk, where can I get a "Mormons for Obama" avatar? I guess they probably didn't bother.

1 GOP vote was added to WI from HI... though I still dislike him more than ever freaking liberal Republicans.

I miss Reagan.
I'm a conservative (more libertarian, actually), and I'm not voting Republican, because the Republicans aren't conservative.

I'm a conservative (more libertarian, actually), and I'm not voting Republican, because the Republicans aren't conservative.

I'm a traditional conservative. I'd vote for some of the old time democrats from the 30s/40s whatever. I really don't like anyone, and I was contemplating not voting (but then I'd feel like I couldn't complain), voting libertarian (feel like I'm wasting a vote). I'm hoping for better choices in 4 years.

I'm hoping for better choices in 4 years.

I think that's what I said 4 years ago. And 4 years before that. I voted for Nader in 2000, and will never make that mistake again.

I'm the same way about having to vote, though...I would feel like too much of a hypocrite to complain about an administration if I didn't vote.

I think that's what I said 4 years ago. And 4 years before that. I voted for Nader in 2000, and will never make that mistake again.

I'm the same way about having to vote, though...I would feel like too much of a hypocrite to complain about an administration if I didn't vote.

I was all for Perot in 5th grade. I still am.

I disagree. If you didn't vote in the primaries, then you can't complain, but right now we have a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich running, and either way, you're going to be voting for a GD or TS.

When perot ran, I remember him having enough money to settle the national debt.

Voting would be better if the presidential and vice-presidential votes were seperate.

I should think about voting early. I scheduled my Mayo interview for Nov 3, then I was planning on driving to my mom's cuz I'm flying out of Minneapolis to NYC on the 8th. I suppose I could just vote at home, but I really didn't want to have to re-register.

I have voted straight democrat for every position in every election I've been old enough to vote in. Not really on purpose, but now I usually just go in and check the democrat across the board box and call it a day.

I should think about voting early. I scheduled my Mayo interview for Nov 3, then I was planning on driving to my mom's cuz I'm flying out of Minneapolis to NYC on the 8th. I suppose I could just vote at home, but I really didn't want to have to re-register.

I have voted straight democrat for every position in every election I've been old enough to vote in. Not really on purpose, but now I usually just go in and check the democrat across the board box and call it a day.

Ahh, the World Famous. I get to hear about that anytime Dr. Bravo's in clinic. She's fun to work with on pain management. Congrats.

I got my first interview! University of Pittsburgh, but it's in December. Nothing so far in November when I actually have vacation.