MCW...Favorably Reviewed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmoothNC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for those that are in the know bout MCW...Today I received an e-mail placing me in this "favorably reviewed" pile.......since I was an August MCAter, and was complete right when scores came out (Oct. 19th), do I have a chance to get off this list? Has anybody come off this list lately, and if so, when were you complete? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Gracias.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a favorably reviewed e-mail in september, and I got another one today saying about the same thing. I don't know how the list is organized but I guess I'm not off it yet. It's nice to here something from the school though, even if it's not an interview invite.

thefafo said:
I got a favorably reviewed e-mail in september, and I got another one today saying about the same thing. I don't know how the list is organized but I guess I'm not off it yet. It's nice to here something from the school though, even if it's not an interview invite.

Same here. I got the ambiguous and favorably reviewed e-mail on 09/26. I got another e-mail today with a bit more clarification of how they rate the people on the "smaller pool". This is a hold list...I can smell it. If I am so great and favorably reviewed, give me a damn interview. This is just false flattery to prevent neurotic pre-meds from calling their office. Screw it...I'm calling 'em anyways :p

Members don't see this ad :)
got it too..called them...they said something like everyone gets it prior to interview...i didnt quite understand what she was saying...oh well....who knows

jon0013 said:
got it too..called them...they said something like everyone gets it prior to interview...i didnt quite understand what she was saying...oh well....who knows

Got the same email. I don't think it means much.

Overlap12 said:
Got the same email. I don't think it means much.

sent my apps late in the game in nov...so prob more like a completion email...i called last week and they said they would review it this wk...so i guess that was it...however i guess if u have no shot then they cut u? who knows...

that e-mail was kind of on crack. they talked about how they sent me an e-mail 9/26 or something, before i was even complete. michael ishtwan needs to lay off the pipe.
-mota

DaMota said:
that e-mail was kind of on crack. they talked about how they sent me an e-mail 9/26 or something, before i was even complete. michael ishtwan needs to lay off the pipe.
-mota

haha ya, I didn't get anything on september 26th despite what they said in that e-mail today

MCW is first come first serve in every sense of the word...not to discourage anyone but their class is probably full or will be full within the next few weeks. This is the kind of place that will take someone with mediocre recs, stats etc. who submitted in july and potentially never interview or wait list a strong applicant for no other reason than they already filled their class with people who "worked" instead of those who would be the "best". I've seen it year in and year out...if you get everything in ASAP in the summer and you are at the marticulant average you are golden...submit any later it doesn't really matter how great of an applicant you are they won't have the space and you get to sweat it out on the wait list...

then why dont they just reject us? keep our hopes up for nothing.. and in the end get disappointed :(

hippocampus said:
then why dont they just reject us? keep our hopes up for nothing.. and in the end get disappointed :(
Because they need to maintain some semblance of a waitlist, in case ppl already accepted decide to go elsewhere.

Good Luck guys! MCW is a great school. If not for the fact that its in wisconsin, I would have probably matriculated there.

I would definitely agree, that MCW is a ROLLING admissions school in the strictest sense of the phrase. I don't really agree with them accepting everyone who walks through the door with an early app. I know PLENTY of people who have actually been shot down. If you get your app. in early and your grades and MCAT are good, you are golden for an interview, after that it is up to how you do completely on the interview. I know a lot of people who got the status email last year and still got interviews. I would kind of doubt the class being full already (200+), but I don't have anything to quote on that...just seems early in mid-december. Don't know if this helps, but the wait sucks so try to be patient and spend your time doing other stuff!!! Good Luck!

I also got the email from MCW on Monday. I was hoping it was a good omen, but from the sounds of things it is not. MCW is my number one choice since Vanderbilt rejected me.

Well, here's hoping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that anyone who gets an interview to MCW gets an acceptance because they run down their whole waitlist? I'm asking since my state school hasn't accepted me yet, and $$ for traveling is an issue.

I got that e-mail one week ago. Yesterday I got an invite, so it might be good news.

DeigoT said:
I got that e-mail one week ago. Yesterday I got an invite, so it might be good news.

Just curious what was your completion date?

Does anyone know how the interview invite comes? Email or snail mail?

Dr.Giggles said:
Is it true that anyone who gets an interview to MCW gets an acceptance because they run down their whole waitlist? I'm asking since my state school hasn't accepted me yet, and $$ for traveling is an issue.

Where did you hear that? Today I got mail from SNMA telling me to schedule a meeting with them on my interview day for MCW. But I haven't received anything from MCW about an interview yet? Is this a good omen? Do you guys think anyone has a chance interviewing this late in the game?

I got both favorably reviewed letters and I just got an invite today so it is not too late for invitations... good luck!

I was complete early August and got the first notice 9/26.

CalBoi82 said:
I got both favorably reviewed letters and I just got an invite today so it is not too late for invitations... good luck!

Ditto on that. FYI I was complete on 9/27, and am instate (if that matters).

I got my first letter on 9/26 and I was completed on August 1st I also recieved the second letter a couple of days ago and no interview yet

That Micheal Istwan guy is the king of all medical school spammers. Such useless emails provide no insight other than basically saying you're still under review. What a waste.

BTW, I got 2 of them. No word yet on an interview.

Dr.Giggles said:
Depends on the year. Once, they went through something like 200 people on the waitlist, and a year or two ago, they only went through a few dozen.

Does any one know if people interviewing in January will be interviewing for a spot on the wait list?