MCW vs University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotButteryPopcorn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! The University of Kentucky just sent out a notification that any further interviews will be for the waitlist as the Lexington campus class is full. I have an interview scheduled for January and I want to know if it's worth it to take the interview and try to be waitlisted for Kentucky. I have been accepted to MCW, however. Is it worth it to see if I can get waitlisted and eventually accepted or should I just not bother with the interview knowing that I would choose MCW over UK anyways?

Basically, is Kentucky >> MCW?

MCW
  • COA: $78k
  • Tutition: $60k
  • I have family in WI
UK
  • COA: $100k
  • Tutition: $75k
  • No family/ties

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMO the two programs are regarded pretty equivalently as far as prestige, with MCW having the edge if you believe the PD ranking list. I don't think there are any advantages to attending UK over MCW unless there are specific residency programs there that don't have an equivalent at MCW. The impression I received was that UK takes a lot of their own, so it might be helpful to have a home program if you want to go into an uber competitive field.

The only thing that would change my mind to lean one way or the other is preclinical grading. I'm not sure if MCW is P/F for preclinical years but I know UK is and that they report your class rank based on quartiles. Believe me when I say P/F and (ideally) no ranking is SUCH a gamechanger during preclinical years!

IMO the two programs are regarded pretty equivalently as far as prestige, with MCW having the edge if you believe the PD ranking list. I don't think there are any advantages to attending UK over MCW unless there are specific residency programs there that don't have an equivalent at MCW. The impression I received was that UK takes a lot of their own, so it might be helpful to have a home program if you want to go into an uber competitive field.

The only thing that would change my mind to lean one way or the other is preclinical grading. I'm not sure if MCW is P/F for preclinical years but I know UK is and that they report your class rank based on quartiles. Believe me when I say P/F and (ideally) no ranking is SUCH a gamechanger during preclinical years!
Thank you! Current students have told me that MCW is P/F without any rankings. I'm currently leaning towards MCW >> UK?