MD Advice- Grad School Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aspiringsocialepi

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is something I have been dwelling on for a long time and really cannot make up my mind on it, so I thought to ask you all here. I am a graduating senior undergrad, African-American female , cGPA = 3.6 sGPA = 3.3, taking MCAT this summer, have about 200 clinical hours volunteering at my local free clinic, currently shadowing internists at the clinic. I have always been passionate about public health, although my ultimate dream is to work as a doctor in resource-poor settings and help the underserved (the homeless, recovering addicts, etc.)

I anticipate taking 2 gap years before medical school in order to earn a graduate degree in epidemiology (I have always been interested in epidemiology, and would have gotten this degree irregardless of whether I chose to go PhD or MD). I 100% realize that my science GPA is low, and I am trying to amend it somewhat by taking 8 credits of science courses this semester. However, I am a graduating senior, and unfortunately I only recently decided to commit to medical school as a long term goal. I would like to potentially have opportunities to improve my science GPA by taking extra upper level science courses during my gap years.

The dilemma: I have been accepted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) for a one-year masters in Epidemiology which I am super pumped about! However, I am worried that I will not have opportunities to improve my science GPA concurrently while earning my masters. Similarly, I worry that I will not be able to gain more opportunities in clinical experience before I matriculate to medical school. For context, I have also been accepted to Emory University for an MSPH in Epidemiology. Any advice regarding this matter?
 
No grad GPA contributes to your science GPA. If you are your masters, it'll have no effect on your chances by an admissions standpoint. But if you get poor grades it'll hurt your chances.
 
I 100% realize that my science GPA is low, and I am trying to amend it somewhat by taking 8 credits of science courses this semester. However, I am a graduating senior, and unfortunately I only recently decided to commit to medical school as a long term goal. I would like to potentially have opportunities to improve my science GPA by taking extra upper level science courses during my gap years.

Your GPAs are perfectly in line with the average African American MD matriculant(I believe the averages for African Americans are cGPA 3.48 sGPA 3.35). 502+ is a good score to aim for on the MCAT(the average African American MD matriculant has a 27 which is about a 502 on the old scale). Not really any need for any sGPA enhancement.

It's probably a better use of time to boost the non academic parts of your application as much as possible. Whichever masters program you do, it is probably a good idea to continue to accumulate volunteering experience while doing a masters program.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your masters won't count for your sGPA regardless of where you take it. However LSHTM is a world class institution and the education you can get there plus broadening your horizons by living for a time in another country could be a wonderful thing.
It also sounds like you have a real passion for immunology, I'd go for it if I was you.

Edit: I do think your ECs could use quite a bit of work too though
 
Thank you all for your advice! I was pretty skimpy on my ECs, I actually worked as a patient coordinator at a local free clinic for three years, held multiple leadership positions as part of my honor fraternity, and have worked in research for two years (critical care research and then later epidemiological research). My reasoning for getting my Master's was completely irrespective of medicine, I have always wanted to pursue an MPH as I have a strong passion in public health; therefore, getting my Master's is a non-negotiable.

My second question is whether taking additional undergraduate courses parallel to those in my master's program would count towards my science GPA? Also,
 
This is something I have been dwelling on for a long time and really cannot make up my mind on it, so I thought to ask you all here. I am a graduating senior undergrad, African-American female , cGPA = 3.6 sGPA = 3.3, taking MCAT this summer, have about 200 clinical hours volunteering at my local free clinic, currently shadowing internists at the clinic. I have always been passionate about public health, although my ultimate dream is to work as a doctor in resource-poor settings and help the underserved (the homeless, recovering addicts, etc.)

I anticipate taking 2 gap years before medical school in order to earn a graduate degree in epidemiology (I have always been interested in epidemiology, and would have gotten this degree irregardless of whether I chose to go PhD or MD). I 100% realize that my science GPA is low, and I am trying to amend it somewhat by taking 8 credits of science courses this semester. However, I am a graduating senior, and unfortunately I only recently decided to commit to medical school as a long term goal. I would like to potentially have opportunities to improve my science GPA by taking extra upper level science courses during my gap years.

The dilemma: I have been accepted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) for a one-year masters in Epidemiology which I am super pumped about! However, I am worried that I will not have opportunities to improve my science GPA concurrently while earning my masters. Similarly, I worry that I will not be able to gain more opportunities in clinical experience before I matriculate to medical school. For context, I have also been accepted to Emory University for an MSPH in Epidemiology. Any advice regarding this matter?

Easier said than done but a great MCAT score will more than make up for a less than stellar science GPA. If physical sciences are a huge challenge, I used Examkrackers which really improved my scores.

You have pretty interesting experiences and if you are as enthusiastic about LSHTM program as your post sounds, pursue your passion. Not only will this experience make you stand out among other applicants, but if your passion comes across clearly in your future personal statement, it will make you more memorable to ADCOMs. Also, taking 2 gap years will allow you to study hard for the MCAT, if you need to retake (hopefully not), which IMO can help more than additional graduate level science classes. Enjoy London! I studied abroad in Spain while in college and it was one of the best decisions I have made!

Cheers!
 
This is something I have been dwelling on for a long time and really cannot make up my mind on it, so I thought to ask you all here. I am a graduating senior undergrad, African-American female , cGPA = 3.6 sGPA = 3.3, taking MCAT this summer, have about 200 clinical hours volunteering at my local free clinic, currently shadowing internists at the clinic. I have always been passionate about public health, although my ultimate dream is to work as a doctor in resource-poor settings and help the underserved (the homeless, recovering addicts, etc.)

I anticipate taking 2 gap years before medical school in order to earn a graduate degree in epidemiology (I have always been interested in epidemiology, and would have gotten this degree irregardless of whether I chose to go PhD or MD). I 100% realize that my science GPA is low, and I am trying to amend it somewhat by taking 8 credits of science courses this semester. However, I am a graduating senior, and unfortunately I only recently decided to commit to medical school as a long term goal. I would like to potentially have opportunities to improve my science GPA by taking extra upper level science courses during my gap years.

The dilemma: I have been accepted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) for a one-year masters in Epidemiology which I am super pumped about! However, I am worried that I will not have opportunities to improve my science GPA concurrently while earning my masters. Similarly, I worry that I will not be able to gain more opportunities in clinical experience before I matriculate to medical school. For context, I have also been accepted to Emory University for an MSPH in Epidemiology. Any advice regarding this matter?

The only way you can sink your chances is if you continue to use "irregardless."