MD Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnzymaticFuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Would a July MCAT be considered late for MD schools?

Also, can someone give me a brief timeline overview for an MD application cycle? Do we need to turn in our MCAT scores and LORs to be verified? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. Would a July MCAT be considered late for MD schools?

Also, can someone give me a brief timeline overview for an MD application cycle? Do we need to turn in our MCAT scores and LORs to be verified? Thanks!
July MCAT would be late, yes. You do not need MCAT or LOR in order to get verified or to receive secondaries, however your secondaries will not be considered complete until that MCAT score is in and will likely not receive any interviews until the LORs are in.

Application timeline: May 1 it opens, May 31 you can submit, June 15 the verification process starts, July 1 schools receive the application and start sending secondaries, then until August/September-ish is primary interview invite time with most interviews occurring September - February. There will also be a mid December-Early January secondary interview invite session with those interviews being mostly clustered around January -March. If schools still have open slot is March, they may send II out in March for an ASAP interview. You can receive acceptances as late as the week before classes start at most schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
July MCAT would be late, yes. You do not need MCAT or LOR in order to get verified, however you will not receive any secondaries until that MCAT score is in and will likely not receive any interviews/few secondaries until the LORs are in.

I just want to respond to this point, and say I believe its wrong. After June 30th, secondaries are sent out to applicants that have submitted a primary. Your secondary application will not be considered complete until the school has MCAT and LORs, but you can definitely fill out the essays and submit without an MCAT/LORs available.

That being said, still late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to respond to this point, and say I believe its wrong. After June 30th, secondaries are sent out to applicants that have submitted a primary. Your secondary application will not be considered complete until the school has MCAT and LORs, but you can definitely fill out the essays and submit without an MCAT/LORs available.

That being said, still late.
thank you for correcting, I was misinformed and have changed accordingly.

N=1

In 2014 I RETOOK the MCAT in late July. I had already submitted primaries in early June so I knocked out secondaries while waiting for my score to return. I managed to be complete late August and received quite a few interviews after that. I had a decent application otherwise for the schools I was targeting. Definitely not persuading you to go my way because what I did certainly wasn't ideal as others have mentioned...just wanted to add another perspective. But feel free to PM me if you have more questions!