MD Chances: 32 MCAT (10VR, 11BS, 11PS) GPA: 3.63 sGPA: 3.7. California Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobears22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am a female california resident (mainly caucasian; my mother is mexican but was not disadvantaged) graduated from UC Berkeley last year after 4.5 years, (BS in Molecular Environmental Biology), so am somewhat of a "non-traditional applicant."

Work Experience: Oral surgical assistant for 6 months
Currently do freelance work for a Stem Cell Therapy company seeking investors. I re-write studies and
proposals into easy to understand language for people that have no background in science.
Science and Math Tutor (also a few kids with their college essay)

Volunteer experience: hospital volunteer
Some volunteer experience with a small primary care practice (ongoing)

Shadowing experience: DO physicians for approx 20 hours
MD physician: approx 20 hours

I mainly consider myself non-traditional because I did not know I wanted to be a doctor during college. Worked summers at my dad's real estate mortgage banking office (thought I might have wanted to be a broker)

I am currently trying to decide where to apply... So far, I will apply to most of the UCs and private schools out of state. I do have the MSAR but would love opinions from you all! Thank you

unrelated question: I still need to take one semester of physics. My options are: community college semester or two quarters at UCLA extension ( as berkeley is on the semester system, this would mean overlap of material) UCLA ext would mean about 1300 out of pocket... yikes

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am considering re-taking my mcat after I get the rest of physics under my belt. I have scored higher in the BS section during practice exams, so I know I can get that score up.

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking MCAT would be an act of hubris. I think you'll be fine at any DO school, and a good number of low-medium tier schools. The UCs might be hard to crack but worth a shot.

Hi All!

I am a female california resident (mainly caucasian; my mother is mexican but was not disadvantaged) graduated from UC Berkeley last year after 4.5 years, (BS in Molecular Environmental Biology), so am somewhat of a "non-traditional applicant."

Work Experience: Oral surgical assistant for 6 months
Currently do freelance work for a Stem Cell Therapy company seeking investors. I re-write studies and
proposals into easy to understand language for people that have no background in science.
Science and Math Tutor (also a few kids with their college essay)

Volunteer experience: hospital volunteer
Some volunteer experience with a small primary care practice (ongoing)

Shadowing experience: DO physicians for approx 20 hours
MD physician: approx 20 hours

I mainly consider myself non-traditional because I did not know I wanted to be a doctor during college. Worked summers at my dad's real estate mortgage banking office (thought I might have wanted to be a broker)

I am currently trying to decide where to apply... So far, I will apply to most of the UCs and private schools out of state. I do have the MSAR but would love opinions from you all! Thank you

unrelated question: I still need to take one semester of physics. My options are: community college semester or two quarters at UCLA extension ( as berkeley is on the semester system, this would mean overlap of material) UCLA ext would mean about 1300 out of pocket... yikes

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am considering re-taking my mcat after I get the rest of physics under my belt. I have scored higher in the BS section during practice exams, so I know I can get that score up.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a pretty solid application. Do not retake your MCAT under any circumstances. You're fine.

As far as taking physics, I would opt for doing it at UCLA extension if you can afford it.

For schools, you could consider these:

Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
NYMC
Albany
George Washington
Georgetown
Brown
Creighton
University of Vermont
Wake Forest
University of Rochester
Loyola-Chicago
Penn State
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Tufts
Saint Louis U
Emory
Medical College of Wisconsin

Making this list makes me realize how much more competitive this process has gotten over the years. There are some schools that are reaches, but being a California resident kind of resigns you to applying very broadly. Other people could probably add some schools that would also be worth a look at.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools don't accept pre-reqs done at a CC so I would take physics at UCLA to be on the safe side. You might have an uphill battle for the UCs considering your MCAT, but you have some more unique life experiences than the average premed so schools might latch onto your app.

Also, what are your research experiences/nonclincal volunteering like?

Thanks for the responses!

Also, what are your research experiences/nonclincal volunteering like?

Unfortunately no research experience. Nonclinical volunteering consists mainly of philanthropy through sorority (not sure if I will even add that though) and I am now a member of my alumni association board at my high school (raising money for students who would otherwise be unable to attend our school)

Unfortunately no research experience.

Well, that's going to put you at a severe disadvantage for Stanford, UCSD, UCSF. Not sure about UCLA, but I'd recommend looking into the Drew program if that interests you. For the non-CA schools, buy an MSAR and choose the private schools that best fit your interests and whose median GPA/MCAT is at your level or slightly lower. Be wary of state schools though as the GPA/MCAT would be misleading for a CA applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also add Hofstra and Dartmouth to your list. I have had luck at both as a Cali resident with similar stats.
Hofstra is a new school but has a great built-in support in the LIJ-North Shore hospital system and a really innovative and unique curriculum. Dartmouth is also a great semi-reach option for those with not quite elite stats but a good story.

Good luck!