MD chances for Cenral Asia resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citrus123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate your opinion on my chances for MD in US. My overall aim is to get MD-PhD degrees in US for the future career. Thank you.

Do you think I can try apply to US now?

Research:
> 3+ years with international internships
> 3-4 high IF papers as a front co-author
> 2-3 ongoing papers for high IF papers, where I am 1st author and front co-author.
> several national young scientist award, poster, abstract, oral ppt, travel grant on widely known international conferences

Volunteering:
> Constantly from Freshman year such as aids for soc. vulnerable families, tutoring in mid/high schools to promote patience for education etc.

Numerous high school medals on local national and international biology olympiads.

Sports: beginner in karate kyokushinkai

cGPA: ~2.75-3.00, science major GPA ~3.5

MCAT: 489 (1st attempt)

Have strong motivation in getting MD-PhD in US for future career, but lack much informations regarding admission process requirements. Now I'm considering getting Masters degree to increase GPA and MCAT, then try apply US for MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

You have basically a 0 chance with your current GPA, MCAT, and residency. You would need to raise your GPA/MCAT much higher and even then it will be difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
Also nothing you did in high schools counts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot apply to a US MD-PhD program until you have an MCAT of a minimum 508 at least (just an estimate, not exact)

American students would be rejected with your stats. It is expected that international students far exceed what American students have stats wise. You currently have no chance to be accepted to a US med school. A Masters degree hold no impact in raising your undergrad GPA. Perhaps you should look at plan B and get aPhD.

All MCAT scores are visible and will be considered. How they may be interpreted is unpredictable. The AAMC recommends that multiple MCAT scores be averaged.
Given your very unfortunate first score, I strongly recommend that you not make another attempt until you are confident of a score well above what may be necessary for a successful cycle.
Unfortunately, your gpa is not consistent with success for MD in the US. However, if these grades are not from a US (or Canadian) school, they will not be part of an AMCAS application.
Master's grades are not considered indicative of academic prowess at MD schools. DO schools see this differently.

Reactions: 1 users
All MCAT scores are visible and will be considered. How they may be interpreted is unpredictable. The AAMC recommends that multiple MCAT scores be averaged.
Given your very unfortunate first score, I strongly recommend that you not make another attempt until you are confident of a score well above what may be necessary for a successful cycle.
Unfortunately, your gpa is not consistent with success for MD in the US. However, if these grades are not from a US (or Canadian) school, they will not be part of an AMCAS application.
Master's grades are not considered indicative of academic prowess at MD schools. DO schools see this differently.
Thank you for the suggestions. Could you please say a bit more about "not US or Canadian grades"?

My UG is from a new International University in Central Asia.

Thank you again.

Thank you for the suggestions. Could you please say a bit more about "not US or Canadian grades"?

My UG is from a new International University in Central Asia.

Thank you again.
Your grades from China will not be part of your application in AMCAS.
Schools may still request transcripts with approved translation.

Some schools require a US bachelor's degree, others may require pre-requisites in the US, 90 hours in a US undergrad or some other evidence of sustained success in a US school.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're able to come to the US, I'd come and start over at a new 4 year College then take it from there. Your GPA from asia may not even count in your application.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile