MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It definitely depends on what city you’re living in...two bedroom two bathroom apartments in the city I’m going to medical school at are like $1,200. And they’re very nice spaces. This is in the MidWest though. That price would be damn near impossible in NYC, Boston, SF.

Yeah that’s awesome but I’m living in DC and in one of the most expensive parts. Maybe I’ll live in a slightly cheaper part of dc later on in medical school, but a twenty minute metro ride to school does not seem to be a great idea from the getgo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I’ve lived with roommates for four years and I’m sick and tired of it. Medical school is really important and I want to maximize my ability to perform well in school and be psychologically alright. Some of you really don’t get how expensive it is here regardless... a 2br can cost on average around 2900-3000 dollars on the low end. I don’t think that a few hundred dollars a month is worth having a roommate. I could get a one bedroom like some people and split essentially a studio with an extra room with another person, but **** that. I want my own damn haven which I’ve never had. Maybe I’ll get a roommate third and fourth year.

Okay, I have found multiple 2b/2b in NYC for around 2k.

What city do you live in where you cannot find an apartment for that price?

Okay, I have found multiple 2b/2b in NYC for around 2k.

What city do you live in where you cannot find an apartment for that price?

Now try again in Foggy Bottom

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now try again in Foggy Bottom

Why do you have to be in that neighborhood? I found several 2b/2b apartments around 5 or so miles away which would be a manageable commute to GWU

Why do you have to be in that neighborhood? I found several 2b/2b apartments around 5 or so miles away which would be a manageable commute to GWU

Because having a car in DC is an absurd notion as I've been told by so many people, and a parking spot also costs a crazy amount.

Reactions: 3 users
Because having a car in DC is an absurd notion as I've been told by so many people, and a parking spot also costs a crazy amount.

Same. I was fortunate enough to get an offer in my hometown, but the commute via car would be 45 minutes + the crazy monthly cost to park. So I have explored using the public transportation system, and have resigned to using it even though I have never taken the bus in my hometown, ever!!!

Dude, if he's got the money to blow and thinks it's worth having less stress about noise while studying, cleaning conflicts, etc. then who cares? And I say this as someone who has always had roommates and never spent more than $600/month on rent...let them live!

Yeah I mean its a cost v benefit thing...I pay a little bit more for less stress. Saying I have money to blow is definitely way over-exaggerating this, but I agree with your point. What happens if my roommate ends up being really weird or a dick? I lived with noisy obnoxious kids in my fraternity, and lived with some close friends. You end up surprised when you realize how you know people as friends and roommates are different things. This is not a risk to take in medical school. I'm trying to ensure all the factors outside of school are as tip top as they can be so they don't create stress down the line. It's a worthy investment, especially considering I'm not paying that much more.

I put my SO in charge of our apt search. Yuge mistake.

She still hasn't found a place and is now looking > 10 miles from campus. RIP me

Reactions: 4 users
In a city where a studio is $1750, a 2/2 is going to be a lot more. They’d save $1000/month only if the two bedroom rent was $1500, which seems pretty unlikely. Those of us paying significantly less picked/got accepted/matched more affordable places. Chances are good to save on rent this person would have to cram a lot of people into a small space which they clearly don’t have an interest in, or commute quite a bit. I avoid those cities myself, but once you’re in that situation, I can see paying that much to maintain safety, privacy and sanity.

Yeah you definitely make some good points. My school is in fairly expensive city with nice 1/1s going for 1500+. I lucked out and found a 2/2 condo for around 1500.

To other students still looking, try checking Facebook for any local area housing groups. There are usually ones for most cities. That’s where I ended up finding mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, if he's got the money to blow and thinks it's worth having less stress about noise while studying, cleaning conflicts, etc. then who cares? And I say this as someone who has always had roommates and never spent more than $600/month on rent...let them live!

Its not about caring...

Do you really think I care either way? I am responding to the basic statement that he has no other choice. If he wants to spend more then thats fine...

Public transit isnt a thing in DC?

The metro is, but I don't want to have to rely on public transportation for the first year of medical school. That shouldn't really be that crazy of a notion. And this is assuming that my place of living would be next to the metro. And I'm not taking a bus through DC every day lol. Distance, public transportation, roommates, are all variables that I don't need to be dealing with during the most important and stressful years of my life.

All y’all living on the coasts are suckers. In my Midwest city (400k+) I bought a 3 bedroom house with an office and nice backyard and my mortgage is less than many of the rents you guys are talking about :p

And I am paying a little more to live in a nicer area about 15 min from school. I could have had one right next door for less but I’ve got kids and the area isn’t great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes. Why not just find a chill, introverted roommate, get 2/2, and save like 1000 dollars a month with interest lol

Can you describe your roommate auditioning technique?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m so freaking excited!!! It’s only a month away!!!

Edit: has panic attack after reading own post

Reactions: 9 users
Whats your guy's living situation like?

Living with two roommates, each have our own bedroom. We'll all be going to the same medical school. They are both very nice, and our rent will only be around 400 each. Super excited!

3/2 home with a nice yard that my wife and I own 12 minutes from the med school. 2 roommates. One is low key and sleeps a lot, he’s our 1 month old. The other spends a lot of time in his room in time out, he’s 2. They don’t contribute much to the mortgage. We def used APGAR scores in our search for roommates lol

Reactions: 9 users
I really thought I would live alone for at least the first year of med school, but I've found a great roommate and barring any weird issues, we have found an awesome 2bed/2bath house to rent for a very reasonable price. Still waiting on the agent to get us the lease paperwork, so please keep your fingers crossed for us!

I think that once this deal is done, I will feel free to get enthusiastic again. It has been stressful transitioning between my initial offer to a new acceptance off a waitlist. I'm hoping for a little carefree time between now and matriculation once everything gets squared away.

It is my last day of work! WOOT. Can't wait for a little break before school starts!

Have to live with the in laws for like three weeks... not excited

But my spouse and I are leaving our super old home in fairly bad shape, 2/1, $800 apartment for a brand new, modern renovated 2/2 $1400 apartment. Super excited.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm living by myself in a 2B2B for $864. I'm going to make the other bedroom an office. I'm moving in less than a month!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm living by myself in a 2B2B for $864. I'm going to make the other bedroom an office. I'm moving in less than a month!
That's a super good deal, where on earth are you going to school?

3/2 home with a nice yard that my wife and I own 12 minutes from the med school. 2 roommates. One is low key and sleeps a lot, he’s our 1 month old. The other spends a lot of time in his room in time out, he’s 2. They don’t contribute much to the mortgage. We def used APGAR scores in our search for roommates lol
Sorry to tell you this man, but based on my past rental experiences your tenants will 100% will not be paying rent on time

Reactions: 8 users
The recent replies are making me so thankful for my living situation. $379/month for a 1/1 in a 2/2 with a great roomie. I did the $3k+ rent in NYC already. Thank heavens for lower COL areas!

Who else is feeling anxious about being lonely and missing out once school starts? Because same

Reactions: 5 users
Who else is feeling anxious about being lonely and missing out once school starts? Because same

I'm actually really looking forward to a change of pace. As someone who has worked a career job for a few years, it can be pretty mind numbing when all your coworkers are way older and have kids, they are just at a different stage of life. All my other friends I had to meet through doing other things. It will be great to be back in school with people my age again (though I'm just a few years older than normal).

On another note, moving across the country is a pain in the ass. Either you spend a bunch of money to move your stuff, or you spend a ton more money to get new stuff. It is times like this where I wish I had a truck I could just throw my crap in and drive over there.

Reactions: 5 users
Last day of work for me as well! Month off to finish up the apartment search (have several opening up a few weeks before school), get settled, and have some vacation. Two years in a hospital system was awesome, but made me hungry to go back to school. It is going to be a crazy workload, but I can't imagine doing anything else.

GL to everyone paying $1500+ in the city for a studio. God bless you.

I'm actually really looking forward to a change of pace. As someone who has worked a career job for a few years, it can be pretty mind numbing when all your coworkers are way older and have kids, they are just at a different stage of life. All my other friends I had to meet through doing other things. It will be great to be back in school with people my age again (though I'm just a few years older than normal).

This.

Sorry to tell you this man, but based on my past rental experiences your tenants will 100% will not be paying rent on time

This is why the minimal extra expense of a property manager is essential. They stay on the tenant & maintain the place so you don't have to worry about it.

Absolutely terrified. At least I’ll have my cat for company
I plan on adopting a cat in September! The only other pet I've ever had is a betta fish. I'm super excited.

I plan on adopting a cat in September! The only other pet I've ever had is a betta fish. I'm super excited.
Good choice! Cats are amazing pets! I’ve had my cat for a couple years, I’m really curious to see how she’ll adapt moving from my parents house to a small apartment lol

Ugh @ housing

I picked the bigger 2BR bus distance from school over the studio down the road from school

I don't like commuting, but I really like having space. Hoping I adapt to busing fairly quick and it's not a pain.

Ugh @ housing

I picked the bigger 2BR bus distance from school over the studio down the road from school

I don't like commuting, but I really like having space. Hoping I adapt to busing fairly quick and it's not a pain.

Commuting is just part of adult life so as long as it’s manageable, if you like the 2br space more then it’s a good pick.

For any current students: I’m curious to know how much my undergrad microbio and pharmacology classes will help me throughout the first two years. Will I be starting off from mostly scratch since it was almost all memorization?

Staying in the house I’ve lived in for the past seven years. I’m SO glad to not have to move for school. Also kind of glad I don’t live in Foggy Bottom, whatever that is. My house payment is $1800 a month. I have a 5/5, around 3200 square feet, on a golf course, about a 12-minute drive from campus.

Reactions: 7 users
No longer a cadaver dissection virgin. :horns::horns:

Reactions: 6 users
Staying in the house I’ve lived in for the past seven years. I’m SO glad to not have to move for school. Also kind of glad I don’t live in Foggy Bottom, whatever that is. My house payment is $1800 a month. I have a 5/5, around 3200 square feet, on a golf course, about a 12-minute drive from campus.

So jealous. We loaded all our crap into a 26-ft moving truck on Friday and Saturday, got in around 3 am on Sunday, and we’re only halfway done unloading right now. School starts in a week and we have to install 1100 sq ft of hardwood floors, including sanding and sealing, before next Monday if possible. Can’t move furniture in until a week after that. It’s totally worth it, but this has been a ridiculously stressful process.

Can’t complain about the monthly cost, though.

Finally moved to Detroit and ready to start school in 2 weeks. :D

Reactions: 10 users
When do y'all start your classes? I'm Canadian so I don't start for another 6 weeks. I have 11 more shifts at work and then I plan on relaxing until I move 2 weeks before classes start. I've secured a gorgeous 3-bedroom apartment in a new building only 2km from the campus/hospital. Housing is very important to me since I study at home a lot, so this allows for a full at-home office, so it's worth the larger price tag.

I start medical school in a month and that does not feel real.

Reactions: 13 users
Shipping my car full of stuff today and flying out in a week!! :eek::heckyeah:

Last week of work before taking the rest of July off. Four weeks today until orientation! Crazy