MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year at this time I was internally and externally crying about the amount of money I was spending on apps, and wondering WTH I would do if I didn't get in anywhere.

The panic made me productive with apps and essays but whooo boy am I glad to be here. :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
This. Thank you so much for pointing out that the travel abilities are part of the income disparities because of the varying backgrounds of premeds. I read some AAMC data last night from the 2017 MCQ that only like 1/4 of matriculants had loans from undergrad? That is unbelievably low to me!.. And 40% of matriculants have parents who have a Master's degree or higher. (As people have said earlier parental wealth doesn't always equal student wealth, but for the people moving from undergrad straight to MD there wasn't much time to work and save. Bravo to those pre-meds who worked through undergrad)
Yeah and it's extra annoying when the government or medical schools don't realize that many of us have to take out extra loans or be in credit card debt JUST to apply for it. I have no idea what I'm going to be doing with my maxed out cards while in medical school...let alone pay for the cost of moving to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Me: wants to explore Europe, quit my job, etc.

Also me: $1.37 in the checking account

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out I was accepted to my second choice for school just last week. I am absolutely psyched to have this opportunity, and am scrambling to move, get loans sorted out, and have everything squared away by orientation. I was a studio art major in undergrad, and getting into a medical school feels...strange. I know I worked hard, but the impostor syndrome is hitting me like a truck. I'm wondering how in the world I got in after so many highly qualified folks were rejected.

Basically, I am elated and planning on working my hardest, but I am also humbled and know how extremely lucky I am.

Reactions: 9 users
I found out I was accepted to my second choice for school just last week. I am absolutely psyched to have this opportunity, and am scrambling to move, get loans sorted out, and have everything squared away by orientation. I was a studio art major in undergrad, and getting into a medical school feels...strange. I know I worked hard, but the impostor syndrome is hitting me like a truck. I'm wondering how in the world I got in after so many highly qualified folks were rejected.

Basically, I am elated and planning on working my hardest, but I am also humbled and know how extremely lucky I am.

Coming from a similar background, I know that feeling!!! What keeps me going whenever that hits is: we wouldn't be accepted if we weren't able to do this! Congrats on the acceptance, now let's go kick butt with our artistic backgrounds :)

Reactions: 2 users
Coming from a similar background, I know that feeling!!! What keeps me going whenever that hits is: we wouldn't be accepted if we weren't able to do this! Congrats on the acceptance, now let's go kick butt with our artistic backgrounds :)

If I run into someone with an artistic background at my school, I will likely claim that person as a study partner! I appreciate the perspective and visualization talents artists bring to the table. Hopefully I'll have a talent to share in return. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Me: wants to explore Europe, quit my job, etc.

Also me: $1.37 in the checking account

I was really worried at first about quitting my job a month early and my money situation (credit card balances are quite high already). But I figure in the grand scheme of things, what is one extra month of living expenses on my credit cards after $350k+ in debt?

The pace of med school courses will be unlike anything most of us have seen before. The value in taking a funemployment month to get in the best shape possible (physically, mentally, and emotionally) and to be really rested seems like a no brainer compared to earning one more month’s income.

The pace of med school courses will be unlike anything most of us have seen before. The value in taking a funemployment month to get in the best shape possible (physically, mentally, and emotionally) and to be really rested seems like a no brainer compared to earning one more month’s income.

People on the personal finance reddit routinely recommend taking a vacation if you have some extra cash and are getting ready to start a new chapter in your life. Before med school is perfect time and when you look big picuture of 1 month at a lower end job and the upcoming debt one will incur. Not sure why the people are dissin people who saved up money to travel a bit before school.

Reactions: 3 users

I may have gone back to look at my MCAT score the other day to remind myself that yes, I am qualified to enter school and no, it probably wasn't a fortuitous computer glitch that sent my acceptance. :unsure:

Reactions: 5 users
I quit my job last month and have saved up enough money to visit my family in South America...and I'm there right now. :hardy:

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Just found this thread. Feels weird clicking on the "Medical Student" thread instead of the Pre-Medical one. :laugh:

Reactions: 18 users
I'm just wondering how long it will be until I can understand wtf people are saying in that "Night Float" thread :laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
It's hard to decide what to do because I don't know how I'm going to react and cope. Moving far away is a scary idea, and not having him as a support is even scarier. There are pros and cons to ending it now vs later. I'm just trying to decide what is best for me. I'm just more worried about how I'm going to react to this afterwards.

Have you tried having a frank discussion with your SO. All the issues you are talking deal with how your SO is or would act. Making sure you understand where you are both coming from and your expectations for the future is really important to move forward. Relationships (like everything else good) take work.

I'm working about up until school starts, but I'll have a week to chillax there without needing to do too much. Honestly, my job is pretty chill and my hours are super flexible and low so it seemed like a good deal. Enter school with a bit of side spending cash, have something to occupy my time, etc.

I'm working about up until school starts, but I'll have a week to chillax there without needing to do too much. Honestly, my job is pretty chill and my hours are super flexible and low so it seemed like a good deal. Enter school with a bit of side spending cash, have something to occupy my time, etc.
Same, I had to travel last month for a family thing but now I’m home and picking up extra shifts for spending money/at least cover rent for the next couple months.

I also made the mistake of thinking that finding a research position was like job hunting and would take a few weeks if not a month or two to find a position. Sent out a few resumès two weeks ago. Got called in for what I thought was an interview on Monday. The PI handed me a list of project topics and said pick one.

Hooray for biting off more than I wanted to for the summer?

Are you moving far for medical school?

All these comments about long trips is exhibit A of the average wealth of the medical school matriculant.

Anyone else not going on some month-long european excursion because they have 500$ in their account before loans kick in?

Yes, med school matriculants often come from wealth. Get use to this. People will have nice apartments, nice cars, and be going to Hawaii, California, NYC, Mexico etc all throughout med school for every 3 day weekend or spring break and you’ll be left wondering how the h*ll are you paying for all of that??

Just do you and don’t worry about it, we’re all going to be doctors.

Reactions: 6 users
I looked at the MedLoans calculator the other day and died a little inside :confused:

Reactions: 8 users
I'd highly recommend the sites 'workaway' or 'wwoof' to anyone who wants to take an international trip but doesn't have a lot of money to blow. If you can afford a plane ticket to your destination and some other minor costs you can stay for weeks/months all around the world if you're willing to live with people and do a little work. I've done it a couple times and I highly prefer this method over all other forms of travel now.

I'm very intrigued by this option. How many hours were you required to work per week?

Reactions: 1 user
Excited to start school!!! Butttt.... Found out that our apartment won’t be ready for my spouse and I when we thought. Have like a two week gap in places to reside. Anyone have experience with Extended Stay hotels? Would they pose a problem for someone with allergies/asthma related to dust and mold?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Excited to start school!!! Butttt.... Found out that our apartment won’t be ready for my spouse and I when we thought. Have like a two week gap in places to reside. Anyone have experience with Extended Stay hotels? Would they pose a problem for someone with allergies/asthma related to dust and mold?

Dust and mold not so much, depending on the age (Candlewood and Extended Stay both), but the cooking smells from other rooms? :barf:

It's really cool to see what everyone else is doing! I personally am not working or travelling somewhere cool and I feel like I'm wasting my time but its nice to be doing nothing and just chillaxing too. Haha sometimes I find vacations can be more tiring than relaxing too haha

Today's the day! Moving to my new state....kinda terrified nervous tbh

Reactions: 14 users

Hey there, I'd try checking out AirBnb. You can probably snag a place for under 100 per night for the whole place, or significantly cheaper for just a room to save more money. It might be tight for a while, but if you're able to rent just a "room" at an AirBNB, some places let you use the common area and kitchen as well. It might be hard to find one with availability for 2 weeks, but with enough flexibility and searching you may be able to find one that works. Good luck!

Today's the day! Moving to my new state....kinda terrified nervous tbh

Exciting stuff! I'm not moving until the end of July, as we don't begin until mid-August. It requires at least three days of driving, so I'm making a mini-road trip out of it. I'm just thanking my lucky stars I snagged a furnished apartment and everything I need can fit into a mid-sized sedan!

Also, there's nothing more simultaneously exciting and unnerving than moving to an unfamiliar state where you have zero ties, and possibly having to do it again in four years. I'm already fearing the homesickness, but it seems that a lot of us are in the same boat. To anyone else moving across the country-- we can all get through this!

Reactions: 10 users
I'm very intrigued by this option. How many hours were you required to work per week?

Usually depends on the host you’re staying with. However, the average I’ve usually seen is around 5 hours a day M-F with them most often being okay with you taking the weekend to explore/travel, etc. Most are very accommodating and friendly. There are usually reviews left by people too so you can get an idea of what it’s like to stay with a specific host.

Exciting stuff! I'm not moving until the end of July, as we don't begin until mid-August. It requires at least three days of driving, so I'm making a mini-road trip out of it. I'm just thanking my lucky stars I snagged a furnished apartment and everything I need can fit into a mid-sized sedan!

Also, there's nothing more simultaneously exciting and unnerving than moving to an unfamiliar state where you have zero ties, and possibly having to do it again in four years. I'm already fearing the homesickness, but it seems that a lot of us are in the same boat. To anyone else moving across the country-- we can all get through this!
Thought I was the only one feeling this one. I will be moving to an unfamiliar state and kinda terrified

Thought I was the only one feeling this one. I will be moving to an unfamiliar state and kinda terrified
Use the app called Around Me to get a sense of where you live and take lots of walks to know the neighborhood! Joining tinder may be a necessary evil to meet people. Try to take advantage of your classmates who live there already!

Quitting my scribe job July 1. CANNOT WAIT!

Bought a season pass to SixFlags with two of my high school friends, so going there (alternating with the beach) ~2-3x/week and riding coasters until I’m nauseous. Then trying to figure out loans/budgeting and REALLY letting the nausea hit me :confused:

Going with my sis to Salt Lake for a week because the flights were hella cheap and I’ve never been out west. JOKES ON ME because I just found out SLC is a dry town. No breweries. No glass of wine with dinner :arghh:The cheap plane tickets should’ve come with that disclaimer...

Orientation first week in August :cold:My mood alternates between extreme excitement and extreme anxiety. Hell no am I studying now, though.

@Apothecary Aquinas That travel-work is a cool idea. As a small single woman, I’m scared of being sold to traffickers or something :oops: I wouldn’t feel safe alone in a foreign country—so I have to plead with my equally broke friends to come along lol. Plus I doubt anyone would want to hire a 105lb/5’2 woman as a day laborer. Any other suggestions for ways to travel on the cheap, especially to Europe?

Bought a season pass to SixFlags with two of my high school friends, so going there (alternating with the beach) ~2-3x/week and riding coasters until I’m nauseous. Then trying to figure out loans/budgeting and REALLY letting the nausea hit me :confused:

Going with my sis to Salt Lake for a week because the flights were hella cheap and I’ve never been out west. JOKES ON ME because I just found out SLC is a dry town. No breweries. No glass of wine with dinner :arghh:The cheap plane tickets should’ve come with that disclaimer...

Orientation first week in August :cold:My mood alternates between extreme excitement and extreme anxiety. Hell no am I studying now, though.

@Apothecary Aquinas That travel-work is a cool idea. As a small single woman, I’m scared of being sold to traffickers or something :oops: I wouldn’t feel safe alone in a foreign country—so I have to plead with my equally broke friends to come along lol. Plus I doubt anyone would want to hire a 105lb/5’2 woman as a day laborer. Any other suggestions for ways to travel on the cheap, especially to Europe?

You can buy alcohol in SLC. Once upon a time, you couldn't, but they've updated their laws over the last 10-15 years.

Hey there, I'd try checking out AirBnb. You can probably snag a place for under 100 per night for the whole place, or significantly cheaper for just a room to save more money. It might be tight for a while, but if you're able to rent just a "room" at an AirBNB, some places let you use the common area and kitchen as well. It might be hard to find one with availability for 2 weeks, but with enough flexibility and searching you may be able to find one that works. Good luck!

Somehow I did not even think of this before. Thanks for the suggestion!

You can buy alcohol in SLC. Once upon a time, you couldn't, but they've updated their laws over the last 10-15 years.
:clap: This is what I get for assuming my middle aged coworker was right lol. Vacation saved—thanks!!!

Speaking from experience, quitting your scribe job is a very liberating experience. It's a great learning experience and you'll have a leg up on documentation, but you just freed up a spot for another hopeful pre-med and you have a lot more freedom in your schedule. Take advantage of that season pass!

Definitely +1 on the hostel suggestion. Some hostels have terrific amenities like meals, lockers to store your belongings, and discounts on tours. Hostelling International has some really good sites around Europe and it really emphasizes sustainable tourism. Their staff do a great job of recommending travel sites off the beaten path if you don't like crowds or are concerned about getting mugged. If you do want to travel to sites with a lot of tourist traffic, it's best to travel with a meat shield, speaking as a woman with your build. You'll probably find people at your hostel who are willing to sightsee with you if there aren't any suitable tour groups. If you'd rather stay in a hotel, I do recall that France has a lot of really good budget-friendly hotels, but most of those have few or no frills.

+1 on hostels. Just came back from a month in Europe and I met SOOOOOO many people and had so much fun in hostels. Plenty of female solo travelers. Traveled in eastern and SE Europe where it was significantly cheaper and equally as safe.

There is a lot more offered than simple labor. Many people ask for someone to tutor their kids in English, tend to their garden, keep their house clean, and other less intense sounding things.

Depending on the country it is often safe to travel alone. I think one is just more on guard than usual because it’s a different place so you’re more perceptive than normal and therefore you feel like it’s more dangerous than home.

Some safety tips if you use workaway/woofing would be to make sure the place you’re interested in has at least a couple/few reviews and is verified in some way. Other than that listen to your instincts and use the same rules for safety there as you’d use here. A simple google search will yield some good pages about safety for women while traveling as well.

And honestly, I believe it is safer to use a place like workaway to travel than without if you’re alone. You stay with a native family so you’re with people who know the area and language. They will often show you fun things to do and will definitely inform you of anything cautionary.

Anyone else still looking for apartments? Feel like I'm scrambling on that front (even though I have a month left). As a function of working full-time, I've had limited opportunities...

Can echo how other people are feeling in this thread. Feels weird to click on the 'MD Students' forum as opposed to 'Pre-Med".

Lived in Salt Lake once upon a time and have friends and family there. You’ve always been able to buy it, the rules are just complicated. For example, if you’re at a place licensed as a restaurant (not as a bar) you aren’t allowed to have just a drink, you also have to have food. And don’t try to go to the state liquor store on a Sunday. But @CorneaEyePun there’s actually quite a few breweries downtown— Squatter’s comes to mind but I know there’s several newer ones— and a very respectable food scene. It’s not the beer mecca that is Denver, but you’ll have a fun vacation at a decent price.

Good luck class of 2022. You got this.

Just found a BEAUTIFUL apartment and I’m officialy excited to start med school!

Reactions: 15 users
This may be cheesy to you all, but I stared at my stethoscope after it arrived and examined every squared inch including playing (listening to my heartbeat, breathing, etc) with it for 15 minutes as a child staring through the oven window to see their favorite cookies baking. This instrument epitomizes my very long journey...

Reactions: 10 users
This may be cheesy to you all, but I stared at my stethoscope after it arrived and examined every squared inch including playing (listening to my heartbeat, breathing, etc) with it for 15 minutes as a child staring through the oven window to see their favorite cookies baking. This instrument epitomizes my very long journey...
When I got mine I forced my cats to play kitty-doctor for at least an hour while I listened to their heart beat, breathing, and purring. One of my cats was a good sport, the other not so much....

Reactions: 18 users