MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be cheesy to you all, but I stared at my stethoscope after it arrived and examined every squared inch including playing (listening to my heartbeat, breathing, etc) with it for 15 minutes as a child staring through the oven window to see their favorite cookies baking. This instrument epitomizes my very long journey...
Lol what kind did you get?

Members don't see this ad.

Littmann Cardio III. Actually didn't buy, but was awarded it by entering an essay application to a foundation's stethoscope scholarship award...
That’s awesome! Congrats! It’s a nice piece of equipment and should serve you well; I have the IV myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s awesome! Congrats! It’s a nice piece of equipment and should serve you well; I have the IV myself.
Funny story. A classmate also purchased the IV, but never paid for it. After it arrived, they wanted to return it. Customer service just told them to keep it after refunding the $$$. Crazy!

Anyone else have a countdown calendar? I only have 50 days left. Summer is going by so fast! :eek:

Reactions: 4 users
When I got mine I forced my cats to play kitty-doctor for at least an hour while I listened to their heart beat, breathing, and purring. One of my cats was a good sport, the other not so much....

hahaha, I did the same! My cat has a grade 4 heart murmur so I tried to listen for it.

I actually have an extra stethoscope, never been used, if anyone out there has to buy one and needs to save some money. If you pay the shipping it's yours!

Signed the lease on a dope condo really close to my school! Moving in a few weeks. Before school starts, I will be hitting the gym often, spending time with family/friends before I move, and playing an unhealthy amount of Fortnite

Reactions: 2 users
Keep that extra stethoscope for when somebody steals yours from the nurse's station at the hospital lol
Damn, it's like that? I want to keep my close to me at all times then lol.

I'm finally into the single digits of days left of work and it makes the day go by so much faster. I've also become slightly more liberal with my lunch breaks since I don't think they'll fire me this late in the game :happy:

Reactions: 5 users
I’m learning that packing to move when married or living together is wayyy more complex than when I was living alone. So much stuff

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I’m learning that packing to move when married or living together is wayyy more complex than when I was living alone. So much stuff

Conversely, I've learned that choosing to rent out a furnished room + leaving my old furniture for the person taking my old room is making moving a much less stressful experience compared to when I had to lug all my stuff around via Uhaul :p

Reactions: 1 user
On my to-fo list this week: purchase scrubs and figure out how to personalize my stethoscope so it doesn't walk away. Any recommendations for either? I've never owned scrubs before so I have no idea what people actually wear and I don't want to look dorky.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my to-fo list this week: purchase scrubs and figure out how to personalize my stethoscope so it doesn't walk away. Any recommendations for either? I've never owned scrubs before so I have no idea what people actually wear and I don't want to look dorky.

Just put a name tag on it

Just pick a solid color (black, blue, grey, green) and you should be fine for scrubs.

Anyone know what the best way/resource to learn Anki is? And what are the most important features to get down?

I'd just get the basic blue ones from Walmart or Amazon. Every time I've been in the OR shadowing I just use the hospital's scrubs. Not sure if that's how it works in school as well.

Anyone know what the best way/resource to learn Anki is? And what are the most important features to get down?

You could try messing with a deck you already know something about or are interested in learning (i.e. amino acids or medical Spanish) and make your own cards. I plan on using Netter's Anatomy deck + Zanki so I used the link below. Looks like it's a good start for us newbs. There's a lot of info on reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki and medschoolanki.com.

Comprehensive Guide to Using Anki + Add-ons (Zanki focused)

Edit: for people completely new to Anki... there are two pretty comprehensive decks that are popular. One is Zanki (newer, more cards) and the other is Brosencephalon (older, more established). There are random things like Pepper (Pathoma + Sketchy) and SALT (similar to Pepper) as well as a newer deck called Lightyear, which is focused on Boards and Beyond material.

Signed the lease on a dope condo really close to my school! Moving in a few weeks. Before school starts, I will be hitting the gym often, spending time with family/friends before I move, and playing an unhealthy amount of Fortnite

You cannot abandon league like that!!!! Solo Q until school starts!!!

All the pre-studying talk reminds me... I met an M2 back in April who told me he studied ~60% of m1 content OVER HIS GAP YEAR!! Talk about gunnin lol. I didn't talk to him after that conversation.

You could try messing with a deck you already know something about or are interested in learning (i.e. amino acids or medical Spanish) and make your own cards. I plan on using Netter's Anatomy deck + Zanki so I used the link below. Looks like it's a good start for us newbs. There's a lot of info on reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki and medschoolanki.com.

Comprehensive Guide to Using Anki + Add-ons (Zanki focused)

Edit: for people completely new to Anki... there are two pretty comprehensive decks that are popular. One is Zanki (newer, more cards) and the other is Brosencephalon (older, more established). There are random things like Pepper (Pathoma + Sketchy) and SALT (similar to Pepper) as well as a newer deck called Lightyear, which is focused on Boards and Beyond material.

What's the word on the street about Lightyear? Never heard of it.

All the pre-studying talk reminds me... I met an M2 back in April who told me he studied ~60% of m1 content OVER HIS GAP YEAR!! Talk about gunnin lol. I didn't talk to him after that conversation.
What was the situation? Were they doing it on their own? As part of a post-bacc/SMP?

What's the word on the street about Lightyear? Never heard of it.

Here's the post about it but here is the TL;DR:

Came out three days ago, has 22.5k cards, cards have screenshots from associated sections in FA and B&B, and it's separated into hierarchical tags of 4 sections (B&B, FA, Pathoma, and UworldRX). I haven't really looked at it but I personally find the layout of Zanki better. Different strokes for different folks, though.

You cannot abandon league like that!!!! Solo Q until school starts!!!

Ugh, I love League but it stresses me out lol...PM for IGN if you tryna grind elo tho

Don't buy more than 2 pairs of scrubs. You will only use them for cadaver lab. Hospital requires their own scrubs. Buy your stethoscope engraved.

Don't buy more than 2 pairs of scrubs. You will only use them for cadaver lab. Hospital requires their own scrubs. Buy your stethoscope engraved.
Yeah, when you need lots of scrubs they’ll give you specific color needs. For now get a pair or two at Goodwill or Savers, I often find new Cherokee ones for $5-6.

Whats your guy's living situation like?

Whats your guy's living situation like?

Paying 1750 a month for a 550 square foot studio in one of the most expensive cities in america. Price of living alone, but **** roommates

Wow that’s a mistake
Yeah, that's a tiny bit more than double what I'm paying for a 2 bedroom apartment for my family that includes utilities. If you figure you could split that roughly in half by finding a roommate, that's an almost $40,000 difference over four years of medical school. By the time you pay it all off, it'll be more like $50-$60k. That's just stupid.

Paying 1750 a month for a 550 square foot studio in one of the most expensive cities in america. Price of living alone, but **** roommates

Yikes. Why not just find a chill, introverted roommate, get 2/2, and save like 1000 dollars a month with interest lol

Yikes. Why not just find a chill, introverted roommate, get 2/2, and save like 1000 dollars a month with interest lol

In a city where a studio is $1750, a 2/2 is going to be a lot more. They’d save $1000/month only if the two bedroom rent was $1500, which seems pretty unlikely. Those of us paying significantly less picked/got accepted/matched more affordable places. Chances are good to save on rent this person would have to cram a lot of people into a small space which they clearly don’t have an interest in, or commute quite a bit. I avoid those cities myself, but once you’re in that situation, I can see paying that much to maintain safety, privacy and sanity.

Reactions: 7 users
In a city where a studio is $1750, a 2/2 is going to be a lot more. They’d save $1000/month only if the two bedroom rent was $1500, which seems pretty unlikely. Those of us paying significantly less picked/got accepted/matched more affordable places. Chances are good to save on rent this person would have to cram a lot of people into a small space which they clearly don’t have an interest in, or commute quite a bit. I avoid those cities myself, but once you’re in that situation, I can see paying that much to maintain safety, privacy and sanity.

Nah, in any city except for NYC and SF you could find a decent room in a 3 or 4 bedroom place for $1K. Even if the situation is that bad, better to buy a place and pay a mortgage at that point

Nah, in any city except for NYC and SF you could find a decent room in a 3 or 4 bedroom place for $1K. Even if the situation is that bad, better to buy a place and pay a mortgage at that point
Nope, my undergrad city in the midwest is a city of 80,000-100,000 people, and a 3 bedroom apartment is often $1500-1700 total. Under one thousand would be impossible to find for an apartment. A 4 bedroom house that is 50 years old is maybe $1600 before any utilities.

That's sounds horrible. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Nope, my undergrad city in the midwest is a city of 80,000-100,000 people, and a 3 bedroom apartment is often $1500-1700 total. Under one thousand would be impossible to find for an apartment. A 4 bedroom house that is 50 years old is maybe $1600 before any utilities.

Im pretty sure s/he meant with roommates, which would make that $2k 3/3 into under $700 per person/room. Just have to spend the time and look for other studious, respectful pple to share it with. If you meant 1500/room, that's an insane amount.

Yeah I’ve lived with roommates for four years and I’m sick and tired of it. Medical school is really important and I want to maximize my ability to perform well in school and be psychologically alright. Some of you really don’t get how expensive it is here regardless... a 2br can cost on average around 2900-3000 dollars on the low end. I don’t think that a few hundred dollars a month is worth having a roommate. I could get a one bedroom like some people and split essentially a studio with an extra room with another person, but **** that. I want my own damn haven which I’ve never had. Maybe I’ll get a roommate third and fourth year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I’ve lived with roommates for four years and I’m sick and tired of it. Medical school is really important and I want to maximize my ability to perform well in school and be psychologically alright. Some of you really don’t get how expensive it is here regardless... a 2br can cost on average around 2900-3000 dollars. I don’t think that a few hundred dollars a month is worth having a roommate. I could get a one bedroom like some people and split essentially a studio with an extra room with another person, but **** that. I want my own damn haven which I’ve never had. Maybe I’ll get a roommate third and fourth year.

Totally worth it if you can afford it. I'll be doing the same.

Totally worth it if you can afford it. I'll be doing the same.

Definitely. I can’t wait. But it’s also funny to see some posters who clearly don’t know realty. Some guy said I can get a 2x2 for 1k a person lmao! That **** would cost like 1500 a person at minimum.

Also I’m living right near the medical school and in a dope spot. 1750 is actually a really cheap price, some studios cost around 2000

Definitely. I can’t wait. But it’s also funny to see some posters who clearly don’t know realty. Some guy said I can get a 2x2 for 1k a person lmao! That **** would cost like 1500 a person at minimum.

Also I’m living right near the medical school and in a dope spot. 1750 is actually a really cheap price, some studios cost around 2000
It definitely depends on what city you’re living in...two bedroom two bathroom apartments in the city I’m going to medical school at are like $1,200. And they’re very nice spaces. This is in the MidWest though. That price would be damn near impossible in NYC, Boston, SF.