MD/DO Bumper Sticker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...I saw a car with CA plates that had a bumper sticker on the back with the symbol for medicine and then to the left of the symbol it said "MD" to the right it said "DO"...
Anyone seen this?
What is it? Is it from that generation of California DOs who became MDs? There aren't any MD/DOs running around, are there? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

...I saw a car with CA plates that had a bumper sticker on the back with the symbol for medicine and then to the left of the symbol it said "MD" to the right it said "DO"...
Anyone seen this?
What is it? Is it from that generation of California DOs who became MDs? There aren't any MD/DOs running around, are there? :laugh:

I think NYCOM has an emigre (is that spelled right?) program which gives foreign MDs a DO degree. On a more personal note, there's a MD/DO family practioner who has an office right down the street from my apartment :)

This is mostly unrelated, but I recently saw a bumper sticker that said "I love my DO." Maybe I'll get it for my husband in 4 1/2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you really be a MD/DO?

Doesnt make sense to be both, or make sense why someone would want to take the time to get both.

The sticker is probably saying "doctor" and they include MD and DO in that. It probably isn't saying both MD and DO...which really isn't possible unless you do 4 years at each school.

I had a patient once who said his family physician was a DO who had gone back to school after having completed MD training in its entirety. He said he didn't like the MD philosophy. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but that's pretty hardcore.

I had a patient once who said his family physician was a DO who had gone back to school after having completed MD training in its entirety. He said he didn't like the MD philosophy. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but that's pretty hardcore.

That seems unlikely to me as you can do things like OMT via continuing medical education hours. There are more similarities than differences between DO and MD so going back for 4 years seems like a stretch as the philosophy may be different but the material, in bulk, is mostly the same. What a painful and expensive way to learn a new philosophy.

Probably one of the goofiest things I've heard on these boards.

I thought the same thing when he told me. But the patient kept saying that he went back to osteopathic school as an MD and finally became a DO. I try my best to take what patients say at face value unless there are obvious reasons to doubt their credibility. This was not one of those people. You can make your own snap judgements after having read four lines of text, but it is what the guy said several times even after I kept being skeptical and inquisitive about the doctor's situation.

I thought the same thing when he told me. But the patient kept saying that he went back to osteopathic school as an MD and finally became a DO. I try my best to take what patients say at face value unless there are obvious reasons to doubt their credibility. This was not one of those people. You can make your own snap judgements after having read four lines of text, but it is what the guy said several times even after I kept being skeptical and inquisitive about the doctor's situation.
Psych patient perhaps? I don't see any DO school who would let someone do that. CME would be the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych patient perhaps? I don't see any DO school who would let someone do that. CME would be the way to go.

He had a daughter who was a psyche patient, when she started to self mutilate herself. This guy wasn't any more off than next guy in my opinion just a little needy, but i'm not a psychiatrist. This physician possibly could have graduated DO school at a time when accrediation standards weren't what they are today, or maybe he got credits for his previous schooling, or maybe the patient was wrong. Who knows. I only worked with the guy for a couple weeks and this is what he was claiming. He was in my clinic for neck and upper back pain with radiculopathy.

As long as we're looking at the Jump To Conclusions Mat, I'd say there was no patient and the story was simply made up.

yes
the DO i shadowed graduated from NYCOM's program and he uses MD & DO interchangeably

My understanding is that these folks aren't supposed to label themselves as MDs because their US licensure is via their US training (DO) not their foreign training (MBBS/MD).

Of course, if a foreign trained physician can pass all steps of the USMLE, they don't have to re-do medical school. Considering the time between basic sciences training & taking the exam along with language issues, this is easier said than done which is why there are people re-doing their medical school in the US.

The MD/DO Sticker you saw is not related to any of the topics you guys stated here. It's a new law that allows physicians (MD/DO) to be given leniency by the police in EMERGENCIES, should the occasion arise. It's offered by major DO/MD medical societies but you have to be a practicing physician/Licensed within few specialties etc.

brb purchasing bumper sticker and setting my cruise at 110 on the highway

Weak sauce. It should be Dr. ________, M.B.B.S, M.D., D.O.

The MD/DO Sticker you saw is not related to any of the topics you guys stated here. It's a new law that allows physicians (MD/DO) to be given leniency by the police in EMERGENCIES, should the occasion arise. It's offered by major DO/MD medical societies but you have to be a practicing physician/Licensed within few specialties etc.

It's not that new, the law has been around since the 50's in California. The CMA began selling the MD/DO stickers in the early 2000's as a way for police to identify doctors. As you said it allows physicians to rush (obviously within reasonable limits) to an emergency.

My buddies dad used to slap on a white coat over whatever he was wearing if he planned on speeding to his destination (which, as stereotypical as it sounds, included golfing) :laugh:

It's not that new, the law has been around since the 50's in California. The CMA began selling the MD/DO stickers in the early 2000's as a way for police to identify doctors. As you said it allows physicians to rush (obviously within reasonable limits) to an emergency.

My buddies dad used to slap on a white coat over whatever he was wearing if he planned on speeding to his destination (which, as stereotypical as it sounds, included golfing) :laugh:

Haha awesome. The sticker thing sounds like a perk I badly need, too bad it'll be 4 years before I can get one.

Maybe be off topic, but semi-related:

New York State gives MD licence plates to MD's andDO's who want them, since the two degrees are obviously equivalent (both physicians)...the NYS Education Dept. issues you an degree in Medicine and Surgery, for example, a license that's equivalent for both MD's and DO's.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/profpl8.htm

Cheers.

Maybe be off topic, but semi-related:

New York State gives MD licence plates to MD's andDO's who want them, since the two degrees are obviously equivalent (both physicians)...the NYS Education Dept. issues you an degree in Medicine and Surgery, for example, a license that's equivalent for both MD's and DO's.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/profpl8.htm

Cheers.

^^I would never get to enjoy special plates in NY then because I would never get one with MD on it.