MD/DO Residency Matching Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blvckbvnny

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I have somehow heard that even if you attend an osteopathic medical school, you can match into an allopathic residency (although harder to do) and in the end become an MD physician. Is there any truth to this?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, DO and MD residency accreditation councils merged and there won't be separate MD or DO residencies much longer.

Regardless, a DO doing an ACGME residency does not become an MD--they have a DO. Just as an MD would not become DO if they did and osteopathic residency (if that's even allowed).

I don't see why it matters. As an attending, whether someone is a DO or MD makes exactly zero difference to me.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a dumb question, but I have somehow heard that even if you attend an osteopathic medical school, you can match into an allopathic residency (although harder to do) and in the end become an MD physician. Is there any truth to this?
This was true in the past, like decades ago. The aim was to merge MD and DO’s, but all that happened was DO’s paying for an MD license after graduation. Needless to say, this practice didn’t last too long. Nowadays, once you go DO you stay DO...and likewise for MD. Really though, they’re the same thing—and most patients really won’t know nor care about the minute differences

Members don't see this ad :)
I need help, I just got my COMLEX Level 1 score of 470, what are my options if you can help as I'm a bit devastated and thought my score will be higher, please help. Thanks

I need help, I just got my COMLEX Level 1 score of 470, what are my options if you can help as I'm a bit devastated and thought my score will be higher, please help. Thanks
Who cares. Do well on Step 1.

As far as I know, DO and MD residency accreditation councils merged and there won't be separate MD or DO residencies much longer.

Regardless, a DO doing an ACGME residency does not become an MD--they have a DO. Just as an MD would not become DO if they did and osteopathic residency (if that's even allowed).

I don't see why it matters. As an attending, whether someone is a DO or MD makes exactly zero difference to me.

That is true but lets clarify it.

1) The Degree you earn (MD or DO) is based solely on the school you attend
2) Residencies will be overseen by a single entity within the next 5 years, ACGME
3) Board Certification, as in which specialty board/academy, is likely to stay with us for sometime

Therefore, you can go to DO school, attend an allopathic residency, but decide, for whatever reason to get board certified under the Osteopathic speciality academy. In the end 10-20 years from now, it will not matter much in terms of practice. You have a degree, you have a residency, you have a board certification, for 95%+ of clinical jobs that is all that will matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.