MD in a DO Residency? Question Regarding Emergency Medicine/Family Practice Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParalelUni

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for an allopathic physician to participate in an osteopathic residency? I have become aware that a combined Emergency Medicine/Family Practice residency is available to DO's and I am very interested in this as a student attending an allopathic school. I haven?t been able to locate an allopathic program that offers this combination. In addition, if one participates in this combined program, would they be eligible for board certification by the American Board of Emergency Medicine, as I didn?t see any program like this listed for board certification? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. The authority on this would be the AOA. Check on their website
http://www.aoa-net.org/Accreditation/accreditation.htm

There is a list of the programs and pdf documents explaining them. Unless there is some requirement for needing OMT training, it seems like you should be able to petition the AOA to get into some of the programs that are listed as needing to have graduated from an osteopathic university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ParalelUni
Is it possible for an allopathic physician to participate in an osteopathic residency? I have become aware that a combined Emergency Medicine/Family Practice residency is available to DO's and I am very interested in this as a student attending an allopathic school. I haven?t been able to locate an allopathic program that offers this combination. In addition, if one participates in this combined program, would they be eligible for board certification by the American Board of Emergency Medicine, as I didn?t see any program like this listed for board certification? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Mike

The closest I know to what you are looking for is a combined EM/general Internal Medicine residency program through UCLA at their San fernando valley program.

There are dually-accredited programs (AOA/ACGME), but I am not sure if there are any in this field . . .

There is an allopathic EM/ FP combined 5 year program in Chicago somwhere. I can't remember the name, but if you go to the AAFP website and just visit all the websites for FP residencies in Chicago, you will stumble across the combined EM/FP program.

From my research, there is no MD FP/ER residencies anymore. They terminated them years ago. Most of the DO ones have too. The reason apparently is that noone ever finishes the program. They do the first 3 years, take their boards for FP, then bail out.

As an MD, what you need to do is get into an ER residency. Then you can negotiate additional years following your ER years. For example, you might finish ER in 3 years then do an FP residency at the same institution for 2 more years. There is a lot of primary care overlap, so they may just require one more year. They won't deny anyone a request to do an FP residency.

I seriously doubt that you could do this the other way (FP, then ER) since ER is in so popular...unless a second or third year spot opened up because someone dropped out of the program.