MD/MPH or DO/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nihitmehta

Osteopathic Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I plant to swing for either a do/mph or md/mph degrees. What are the benefits of getting additional MPH degree with an MD or DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I plant to swing for either a do/mph or md/mph degrees. What are the benefits of getting additional MPH degree with an MD or DO?
Look at this link for more info:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-m-d-mph-instead-of-either-mph-or-md-alone.134791/

MD schools are harder to get into than DO schools. But you should absolutely aim for MD/MPH rather than DO/MPH. If you're just going to practice medicine in the US, either degree would be fine, though getting a residency slot with a DO is a bit harder than if you have an MD. If you ever want to do stuff abroad, the DO is not as internationally recognized as an MD. And in public health, the MD/MPH will suit you much better than the DO/MPH. Like I said, if practicing medicine is the end goal, either degree is fine, and DOs are fully capable of anything an MD can do. But for the purpose of legitimacy/credibility/the degree being recognized, I'd absolutely go with an MD/MPH.