MD/MPH Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brsboarder

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally, I wanted for sure to do a combined MD/MPH program, however I am having second thoughts. The school's program would force me to lose summers, and does not have a strong international health/epidemiology focus, which is what I want to focus upon.

So, I'm thinking perhaps not entering into the MPH part of the program. My only fear is that if I don't get to it now, I won't later on. What are your thoughts? Should I sacrifice and do the program. The program is a 4 year combined degree where I do the MPH during the summers. Its also a lot cheaper than doing it later, at another school or whatever. Just looking for MPH people's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

If the program isn't what you want, I wouldn't pursue it. I totally agree that saving time and/or money is beneficial, but quality matters too. Many physicians get the MPH after medical school, and there are some residencies that will cover your MPH too. When the time comes, I'm sure you will get the degree if you really need it. Good luck!

Originally, I wanted for sure to do a combined MD/MPH program, however I am having second thoughts. The school's program would force me to lose summers, and does not have a strong international health/epidemiology focus, which is what I want to focus upon.

So, I'm thinking perhaps not entering into the MPH part of the program. My only fear is that if I don't get to it now, I won't later on. What are your thoughts? Should I sacrifice and do the program. The program is a 4 year combined degree where I do the MPH during the summers. Its also a lot cheaper than doing it later, at another school or whatever. Just looking for MPH people's thoughts.

There is no reason to spend the extra money and time on a degree you don't really want (as in, from the school you'd earn your MD at) from a department that isn't that strong in your specific area of interest.

I am splitting up my MPH/MHS and MD work, myself. Public health first then med school. If you're going to take the time to do both of these degrees you owe it to yourself to complete each the best way possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posts. If your heart's not into it, don't do it now. Also don't forget tons of programs/agencies/institutions that are eager to get their hands on MD holders who want to pursue public health education... they'll pay for you to get an MPH and they'll only need you to do it for 1 year.

Its not that I am not interested in the material, I just think I´m more interested in other subjects, or different focuses, however much of the material is very interesting to me. I do like the fact that I can do it during my summers. I probably wont go into health education but rather cdc, NIH, or international organizations, if thats where I actually end up. I think the degree will open doors to me not available through my MD right off the bat.

Its not that I am not interested in the material, I just think I´m more interested in other subjects, or different focuses, however much of the material is very interesting to me. I do like the fact that I can do it during my summers. I probably wont go into health education but rather cdc, NIH, or international organizations, if thats where I actually end up. I think the degree will open doors to me not available through my MD right off the bat.

That's my point, though. If you're interested in material that it seems you're saying is not offered in your current MD/MPH program, then ditch the MPH and obtain it post-med school. I know of several docs who chose their residency at schools where they could simultaneously gain their MPH while fulfilling their clinical responsibilities. If not during residency, afterward. There are plenty of options and SPHs seem to be very accommodating of docs.

My point is - as someone who plans to do the same thing you're doing - time and money are a premium now so it would be wise to spend the time in a MPH program that really satisfies your interests. For example, if CDC is an interest of yours, go to Emory for a residency program or internship and join the Rollins SPH -- they have great connections to the CDC, better than probably any other school, and you can earn your MPH part- or full-time in about a year.

I certainly agree that the degree will give you access to places you won't have from day one with just a MD. It will also provide you with a more broad perspective of healthcare, in general, than you'll gain in med school.