MD/PhD average GPA and MCAT by school?

Started by reising1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reising1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know where to find average GPA and MCAT data for MD/PhD programs for each school?
 
Check out SDN's research forums. I saw a list for md/phd programs in a thread there a few months ago.
 
Anyone know where to find average GPA and MCAT data for MD/PhD programs for each school?

There's one here, but it's not complete and has MD-only data mixed in.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=918777

Here are some data on MD/PhD applicants/matriculants: https://www.aamc.org/download/321548/data/2012factstable35.pdf

To summarize that data from 2012:
Mean applicant MCAT=31.2
Range applicant MCAT=4-43
Mean matriculant MCAT=34.5
Range matriculant MCAT=23-43

Mean applicant GPA=3.6
Range applicant GPA=2.2-4.0
Mean matriculant GPA=3.8
Range matriculant GPA=2.9-4.0

Keep in mind these include every MD/PhD program in the country. I would say that ~70% of MD/PhD students are at MSTPs, which are more competitive.

At the tippy top, UCSF and Hopkins had put up on their websites that their matriculant MD/PhD class both had averages at 3.9/37-38. I would be confident in saying that the average MCAT at both those places has risen a point since they put those numbers up.

For a perspective of other programs: UNC has on their website that their average of accepted students is 3.75/35. I would say MSTPs not in the top-15 would have numbers similar to this give-or-take 0.1 grade points and 2 MCAT points.
 
There's one here, but it's not complete and has MD-only data mixed in.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=918777

Here are some data on MD/PhD applicants/matriculants: https://www.aamc.org/download/321548/data/2012factstable35.pdf

To summarize that data from 2012:
Mean applicant MCAT=31.2
Range applicant MCAT=4-43
Mean matriculant MCAT=34.5
Range matriculant MCAT=23-43

Mean applicant GPA=3.6
Range applicant GPA=2.2-4.0
Mean matriculant GPA=3.8
Range matriculant GPA=2.9-4.0

Keep in mind these include every MD/PhD program in the country. I would say that ~70% of MD/PhD students are at MSTPs, which are more competitive.

At the tippy top, UCSF and Hopkins had put up on their websites that their matriculant MD/PhD class both had averages at 3.9/37-38. I would be confident in saying that the average MCAT at both those places has risen a point since they put those numbers up.

For a perspective of other programs: UNC has on their website that their average of accepted students is 3.75/35. I would say MSTPs not in the top-15 would have numbers similar to this give-or-take 0.1 grade points and 2 MCAT points.
Even non MSTP programs have MCAT scores for MD/PhD about 2 points higher than MD (in the same school).