MD/PhD Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

admullen

Reaction score
Hi all, I applied MD last year and was accepted to one school, but I turned them down because of personal reasons and to pursue opportunities in my lab at school. My PI at home is extremely accomplished and well-known in the field, but our work is not very clinical (fMRI scans of NASA astronauts). I have found a lot of interest in research and have been thinking about re-applying MD/PhD instead of simply MD this cycle. Since last year, I have been a TA for Biology II, worked full-time in the lab, and I am currently spending the summer completing a research internship in the groundbreaking CAR-T labs at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. My MCAT and GPA stats line up around the 50th percentile of MD/PhD matriculants, but I am unsure if I have sufficient research experience. Aside from the past year in the NASA lab and my summer at CHOP, I also spent last summer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital studying the effects of melatonin on the brain and a month or so (minimally involved) as a sophomore in a biomechanics lab on our campus. All in all, by the time of application, I will have only around a year and a half of research experience, but it will all have been full-time and at well-established institutions (CHOP and St. Jude). I have also graduated Summa Cum Laude using my research from St. Jude and should have a first author paper submitted from our NASA lab by the time interviews come around circa October. Would it be worth my while to apply MD/PhD or should I reapply simply MD?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you have a 3.8/514 or better with 1.5 years of research experience you have a reasonable (read: fit the profile of a person with at least one acceptance at the end of the MD/PhD cycle) shot at MD/PhD. However, your declining an MD offer last cycle likely puts a huge asterisk on that and makes any chancing essentially impossible because it's difficult to say how schools will interpret that decision on your part. I'm not saying there is no chance, but I am saying I have no information to help you with.

I'm going to move this thread to the PS forum where you will likely get more relevant advice from people more familiar with the MD/PhD cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Declining an MD acceptance is a huge red flag. You can obviously always apply but there's a very significant probability that you will not get in anywhere MD or MD/PhD.

You need to provide a very specific and valid reason for this choice, and detail this in a separate essay. I would have that essay shopped by people in the admission advisory committee from your undergrad school. I don't think getting any more research experience will change anything.

I have no idea who advised you, but frankly it was a big mistake and if you end up overcoming it you should triple count your luck stars.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Declining an MD acceptance is a huge red flag. You can obviously always apply but there's a very significant probability that you will not get in anywhere MD or MD/PhD.

You need to provide a very specific and valid reason for this choice, and detail this in a separate essay. I would have that essay shopped by people in the admission advisory committee from your undergrad school. I don't think getting any more research experience will change anything.

I have no idea who advised you, but frankly it was a big mistake and if you end up overcoming it you should triple count your luck stars.

I'm gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree with this. I had a friend who had an MD acceptance to a top 50 school. Did not want to attend this school. Reapplied next cycle and got into a top 10 school.

Red flag or not, there are always exceptions. I know of individuals in your situation who have successfully navigated this path. PM me if you want to discuss.

I declined the MD program because over the year following my application cycle, I found a deep and unexpected passion for research and the idea of having a hand in all aspects of "bench to bedside" care appealed to me. I rejected the MD program with the very specific intent on applying MD/PhD instead, and they would see that as a "huge" red flag?

Very Much So!!!!

1) Why would have found this passion so late in the process after 4 years of college?
2) If you got an acceptance and turned it down for this sudden research passion, it shows at the very least confused motivation and lack of commitment. Why should a school take a chance on you when you may suddenly then decide you only want research and jump to a PhD only
3) If you had done any research into the profession, you would have known that MD do research as well
4) If you have researched the process, you may have found that many schools can offer a path to PhD after you start medical school

You present a huge risk to consideration to medical schools as why should they put in the time and effort to even consider you with this confused motivation, lack of commitment, lack of knowledge, and frankly piss-poor judgement. Then risking the investment in training you for an unsure end. There are many 100% committed people applying that they can easily move on to the next.

I always, always, utterly astounded by the nativity and optimism of premeds who think so many things are positive where in fact they are huge negatives,

I didnt start doing research until the summer that I was applying and I am still fully committed to being a clinician. I would rather have a legitimate graduate school education and learn properly the many ways to conduct research in my field than to simply take a postdoctoral position after medical school and be exposed mostly only to the things done in my lab. So if they pose these questions (and probably like less of an ass than you have I might add) I do feel like I have some answers for them, especially considering that a legitimate family hardship, in addition to a slight change in career path, led to me withdrawing my acceptance.

Must be my decades of work in and around admissions that makes me such an ass. And actually they wont ask you as they will ask each other as they, as I certainly would have, added you to the minimum 80% of applicants that must be rejected pre II simply due to numbers.

BTW, I was referring the program at almost medical school where as a 2nd year you can apply for PhD. But hey what do I know?

With all due respect gonnif, @Maebea is a PD at an MD/PhD program and if they say there are exceptions then this could be one.

On the MD side I think this would be a very difficult flag to recover but the OPs reasoning is plausible enough to work out as someone without more research experience might have not even successfully transferred into their Md schools MD/PhD program, the MD/PhD program at that school might not have provided full funding, it was not a research oriented school, or maybe didn’t even have an MD/PhD program.

Very Much So!!!!

1) Why would have found this passion so late in the process after 4 years of college?
2) If you got an acceptance and turned it down for this sudden research passion, it shows at the very least confused motivation and lack of commitment. Why should a school take a chance on you when you may suddenly then decide you only want research and jump to a PhD only
3) If you had done any research into the profession, you would have known that MD do research as well
4) If you have researched the process, you may have found that many schools can offer a path to PhD after you start medical school

You present a huge risk to consideration to medical schools as why should they put in the time and effort to even consider you with this confused motivation, lack of commitment, lack of knowledge, and frankly piss-poor judgement. Then risking the investment in training you for an unsure end. There are many 100% committed people applying that they can easily move on to the next.

I always, always, utterly astounded by the nativity and optimism of premeds who think so many things are positive where in fact they are huge negatives,

I'm not sure why it's viewed as such a sin in the medical field to decline an acceptance and I think this is way overblown. Many people decline acceptances in other fields (to competitive programs) and they're not judged as the dumbest people on earth. There are legitimate reasons to pursue an MD/PhD over an MD. Just because the OP decided they wanted to do a year of research and pursue a dual degree does not mean they are likely to become a terrible physician-scientist and should be shunned. Many people decide on research even very late in their careers.

For what it's worth, I turned down an MD offer AND an MD/PhD offer two years ago, and I just finished a very successful MD/PhD reapplication cycle. I had greater success in places where the MSTP committee picks whoever they want without the MD committee filtering the applicants--I think MSTP adcoms understand that, while MDs of equal caliber can come from any program, that is not the case for MD/PhD once you consider concentrations in certain field of research. So applicants may have valid reasons for chasing after particular schools.

I will admit, though, that I'm an exception, and I had compelling reasons for turning down the earlier offers. It also helps if your reapplication is significantly different/better than your first, with clear evidence of effort and commitment.

*Edited to reemphasize: turning down offers is almost always a bad idea--I had reasons, but I'm positive it still affected my reapp cycle.

Last edited:
Hi all! I am commenting because this post scared the hell out of me early in the cycle, especially @gonnif. I found your comments to be extremely condescending, and I would urge you to think more about how you respond to people, especially since this is such a nerve-wracking time for a lot of people (not saying don't give bad news or hard-to-swallow opinions, just saying don't be a dick about it). Anyways, for any future applicants, I'm not fully through the process yet, so I don't want to speak too soon, but I was in a similar situation as OP (declined MD acceptance and reapplied MD/PhD), and I am experiencing some fair success in this application cycle so far. This is just to say that deciding you want an MD/PhD and declining an MD spot is a legitimate path if you can express why you are better suited for an MD/PhD than an MD, and don't let anyone on this site get you down if this is your situation.

Reactions: 7 users
How would the admcom know you had an acceptance MD-only or MD PhD from another school in previous cycles?

How would the admcom know you had an acceptance MD-only or MD PhD from another school in previous cycles?
While I'm sure they can see that information regardless, you are required to disclose in your application if you have previously been accepted to a U.S. medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
@CaliforniaAsian Thanks. Are applicants also required to disclose whether they applied in previous cycles in their applications if 0 acceptance?

Last edited:
If you found my post even remotely condescending, I would say you have judgement issues. It was a well thought out, accurate portrayal of the questions that will be raised by an adcom, nor was it particularly harsh . Not sure what reality you are in
I must also have judgment issues

What about this one? And remember the question is not whether it’s right or wrong- it’s whether this is, in your words, “even remotely condescending.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What about this one? And remember the question is not whether it’s right or wrong- it’s whether this is, in your words, “even remotely condescending.” And in my deluded view of reality I am saying yes
The wise gonnif was being 100% accurate, and if his type of communication is upsetting, do stay out of NYC, when people use the term "F you as a greeting.

Also best to model SDN behavior and use the Ignore function.

The wise gonnif was being 100% accurate, and if his type of communication is upsetting, do stay out of NYC, when people use the term "F you as a greeting.

Also best to model SDN behavior and use the Ignore function.
Thanks for the warning- a simpleton like me has never once been out of my little small town in middle America!
Just like how you guys are not even remotely condescending!

Schools can (and many do) ask on their secondary if you have applied to med school before, so even if AMCAS doesn't tell them, you often have to.

@love2chis There may be secret ways for adcoms to find out--I'm not one so I can't say for certain--but only a few explicitly ask if you've been ACCEPTED (I think all will know that you're a reapplicant). The only two I can think of that directly asked me if I'd been accepted to medical school in the past are Stony Brook and Einstein.

Having said this, them knowing this is not necessarily a nail in the coffin. For instance, I was offered an interview to Stony Brook despite having to write a whole separate essay about how I'd been previously accepted to an MD program.

Moreover, I made my decision to pass on my MD acceptance in favor of MD/PhD reapplication a focal point of my "Why MD/PhD?" primary essay, and it worked for me to great effect. I was initially hesitant to write about it, but my advisor, who is on the MD/PhD adcom at a T20 school, strongly advised me to do so. Every interview I went to that brought up the fact that I declined an MD offer seemed to find my decision at the very least fascinating, and at most as a display of commitment to the MD/PhD path.

Now, to join the argument with @gonnif, @Goro, and @Ludwig2000: @gonnif, the point is not that you did not tell the truth. In fact, I assume you really believe what you said. The point is that you were a) being rude ("piss-poor judgment") b) shutting down valid exceptions to this "rule" that students reapplying MD/PhD after being accepted MD will be immediately rejected. I'm not going to dispute that you, @Goro, and the other adcoms on this site have years of experience that I don't, but rather than using that experience to demean people in a pretty vulnerable position (I initially read this post the day after submitting my primary and found myself nearly in tears), it might be better to use your authority to give advice with a level of nuance that adequately reflects the complexities of this black box of an admissions process.

Of course, I'm not really writing all of this for your sake @gonnif--you don't strike me as someone who would change so late in the game (prove me wrong?). I'm really writing all of this for future applicants in a similar position. To preface, I've just finished my interview season. Of the 24 programs I applied to, 22 were MD/PhD, 2 were MD. I was offered interviews at 15 MD/PhD programs (6 T20) and 1 MD program. Of those that I interviewed at (10 of the MD/PhD programs), about half have not gotten back to me with a decision, but 5 have offered me an acceptance (1 T20, 1 T10). My success this cycle runs contrary to your argument @gonnif, since, as I said before, the fact that I declined an MD acceptance was a central facet of my application.

Now, to answer your questions from the beginning of this thread with my own experiences that are honestly not that extraordinary and seemed to do the trick for me this cycle:

While there are exceptions, it can take undergrads a little while to find a lab that really suits them and shows them the field of science that excites them, given that there is usually no formal process for undergrads to choose a lab, meaning there are no rotations. I didn't start working in a lab until I was a sophomore, and the lab I chose didn't suit me in its environment or its field of study. However, when I joined a new lab in the second half of my junior year (I was abroad for the first half), I found both an environment that I thrived in and a field of study that I loved. But observant readers will have noted that the second half of junior year is when the med school app cycle begins if you're looking to go straight in. So in my eyes, this answers your question. Why did I find this passion so late? Because it can be time consuming to join a lab, let alone find one that utterly captivates you enough to change the course of action you've been set on for ten years. Plus, I wouldn't even say that I found that passion that late, but the medical school app cycle starts so damn early that you essentially need to be 100% sure of your plans to get an MD vs. an MD/PhD at a point when I personally had just joined a lab that proved to be a watershed experience for me.

I actually kind of agree with you here. I think that giving up my MD acceptance to pursue an MD/PhD did show confusion, and I was open about that. However, if you can follow it up in the ensuing gap year(s) with experiences that confirm your excitement for clinical medicine (both to yourself and to others), I think MD/PhD programs won't look twice. That is to say, if you can demonstrate that the time you will need to take off after giving up your acceptance has been a clarifying time for you, it should be fine. This goes back to the timing thing. I didn't get a solid chance to develop my research interests until it was already time to apply MD, so once those interests did develop, I was obviously confused, since I felt I was going down a path that I didn't feel perfectly fit my ultimate career interests (which still included practicing clinical medicine, but also placed research as a priority). However, confusion is, as I understand it, a part of life, and MD/PhD adcoms seemed perfectly aware of that. To pretend that they expect a perfectly straight shot to an MD/PhD from everyone is disingenuous. If you can explain your story well, they're perfectly accommodating.

Of course. My PI is an MD! However, it is more difficult for them to do so. MDs don't get the concentrated research time that MD/PhDs do (some schools offer a research year, but 1 gap year of research for MDs ≠ 4 years of PhD research), and there is definitely something to be said about getting to take that time. Plus, as my PI put it, as an MD researcher, you're essentially going to be putting in a similar amount of time before becoming a full-fledged physician-scientist, since you'll need to be in a competitive post-doc for ~4 years in order to gain the same research training as an MD/PhD, plus still do a residency and fellowship if you want to specialize. MD/PhDs have the luxury of going from med school, to residency/fellowship, to faculty. Plus, I know we all love medicine and research for their own sake and they are ends in their own rights, but to discount that an MD trying to do research still has to go through all that time before becoming full faculty while also having medical school loans, while an MD/PhD in most cases not only doesn't have loans, but gets paid during their education, is to dismiss a real financial concern for most people.

While this is true, for a lot of schools this is dependent on people dropping the program (this was true of the place to which I was accepted), as there is only so much funding for an MD/PhD cohort. I asked about switching to MD/PhD where I was accepted and they said it was very iffy that I would be able to enter into the MD/PhD cohort in my second year. I decided that I'd rather take my chances with another admissions cycle than take my chances as an internal applicant.

To wrap up my diatribe, med school admissions is long, grueling, confusing, and oftentimes disheartening. Sometimes, the path to admissions isn't straight. MD/PhD adcoms know this and they are ok with it if you can explain it well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I’ll note that the antagonism that has been displayed here from faculty members or others in academic positions of power is inexcusable, especially in a situation where a vulnerable population (students/trainees) are asking for advice. Science has a bullying problem, as is noted in this and many other nature articles (Does science have a bullying problem?). If we ignore even online cases like these, we are part of the problem. Maybe this is common behavior where some of you work; if that is the case, I am sorry that you work in a toxic environment, but there is no need to bring it here. There are healthier ways to advise people/break what you see as bad news. I hope that people reading this will go to others for advice instead of just relying on what is written here, where anonymity is seen by some as a cover to display poor behavior.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I’ll note that the antagonism that has been displayed here from faculty members or others in academic positions of power is inexcusable, especially in a situation where a vulnerable population (students/trainees) are asking for advice. Science has a bullying problem, as is noted in this and many other nature articles (Does science have a bullying problem?). If we ignore even online cases like these, we are part of the problem. Maybe this is common behavior where some of you work; if that is the case, I am sorry that you work in a toxic environment, but there is no need to bring it here. There are healthier ways to advise people/break what you see as bad news. I hope that people reading this will go to others for advice instead of just relying on what is written here, where anonymity is seen by some as a cover to display poor behavior.

If you feel that you are bullied at workplace, you can always complain. In reality, people make such complaints are often themselves the bully. I know of several cases where students and trainees inappropriately complained that they were "bullied", which led to severe consequences for the faculty. This is especially common when the faculty is 1) a minority 2) international 3) the dept already had an axe to grind.

In one instance, the faculty then filed a discrimination lawsuit against the department and against the student, which was subsequently settled out of court. In another case, the faculty was falsely accused of sexual harassment and was hospitalized for acute suicidality, and later left the university. But since these cases were not congruent with the dominant narrative, they are rarely covered by the media.

In the American system, nobody is your friend and nobody is expected to help you with no string attached. A student from a wealthy family and armed with sophisticated advisors can be wildly more powerful than the faculty. Actions have consequences. Everything you hear should be hedged with a degree of incredulity and anticipation of underlying motivation. The sooner you know and practice this the better.

@love2chis If you got an acceptance and turned it down for this sudden research passion, it shows at the very least confused motivation and lack of commitment. Why should a school take a chance on you when you may suddenly then decide you only want research and jump to a PhD only

I actually kind of agree with you here. I think that giving up my MD acceptance to pursue an MD/PhD did show confusion, and I was open about that.

The point here is you need a tight narrative of the transition between confusion ---> no confusion. The narrative may be even that you were no confusion --> no confusion, but the goals have changed. Marketing yourself as at any point confused is weak at best, even if you are still currently confused.

It's really best to package yourself in a way that anticipates the concerns of the admissions committee, rather than using the admission process as a way of personal expression. Your personal beliefs can be safely hidden and dealt with later on. Once you get IN you can do whatever you feel like, but before you get in, it's best to pretend to be someone that someone else wants. This should've been intuitive, but in reality is very difficult for people. This is also why it's much more optimal to take the MD, start it, then when your desires change, move onto a PhD, rather than drop MDs altogether.

Very similar things exist throughout your career. You need to strike a real balance between writing a grant that anticipates the concerns of the study section and your own vision. In particular, when there is conflict, your personal vision by default takes a back seat. Exceptions always exist, of course, if you can compel others and overcome their objections with especially strong evidence, etc. But the bottom line is that you live in a system, and the system is not there to cater to your whims, and if you want to win you need to know the rules, especially if you want to win by breaking them.