MD/PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ys374627

Reaction score
Hi, I have a few questions regarding MD/PhD programs. Let’s say you apply to MD/PhD programs. In a case you do not get in, can your application automatically be considered for MD or PhD? Do you have to provide additional materials for the MD or PhD programs, such as GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have a few questions regarding MD/PhD programs. Let’s say you apply to MD/PhD programs. In a case you do not get in, can your application automatically be considered for MD or PhD? Do you have to provide additional materials for the MD or PhD programs, such as GRE?
I do not recommend applying to MD/PhD programs with the expectation that you will be considered for the MD program if you don't make the cut for the combined degree.
Even when schools are happy to refer for MD-only consideration, your application is at a significant disadvantage with regard to timing. By the time the (much longer) MD/PhD process has concluded, you may be interviewing for a waitlist spot. It is also inevitable that some evaluators would prefer similarly qualified MD-only applicants. No one like to be a consolation prize...
There are significantly more materials (and accomplishments) expected for MSTP candidates. Although the GRE is expected for stand alone graduate programs, the MCAT is sufficient for MD/PhD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
I'll add that the GRE is sometimes required for non-traditional PhD fields (anthropology, history of medicine, public health, occasionally engineering). This will be incredibly school-specific. If you are interested in a more traditional PhD field, the GRE won't be required.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend applying to MD/PhD programs with the expectation that you will be considered for the MD program if you don't make the cut for the combined degree.
Even when schools are happy to refer for MD-only consideration, your application is at a significant disadvantage with regard to timing. By the time the (much longer) MD/PhD process has concluded, you may be interviewing for a waitlist spot. It is also inevitable that some evaluators would prefer similarly qualified MD-only applicants. No one like to be a consolation prize...
There are significantly more materials (and accomplishments) expected for MSTP candidates. Although the GRE is expected for stand alone graduate programs, the MCAT is sufficient for MD/PhD.

Thank you for the reply. What about for the PhD programs? Is there any drawbacks for being referred to PhD programs after the MD/PhD? Assuming most grad schools' applications open up in Nov-Dec, would the referred application be considered for the next cycle?

Thank you for the reply. What about for the PhD programs? Is there any drawbacks for being referred to PhD programs after the MD/PhD? Assuming most grad schools' applications open up in Nov-Dec, would the referred application be considered for the next cycle?

Hypothetically, if you didn't have any interviews lined up by Nov/Dec you could apply to strictly PhD programs. Often, if not all the time, schools have a very different system for PhD applications. At my alma mater, you could apply to the MD/PhD program and the Biological Sciences PhD program, not tell anyone you applied to both, and no one would find out because of how separate they were.

Reactions: 1 user

I have actually never heard of someone denied an MD/PhD requesting an internal referral to PhD...

Reactions: 2 users

If you're not accepted to an MD/PhD, you can only be transferred to MD admissions, not PhD (and some schools won't even transfer you to MD; it depends on the program). So as ClimbsRox implied, you'd have to apply to PhD programs separately. Most programs have late December deadlines, but you'd have to kind of be on top of the ball to apply to PhD programs if it seems the MD/PhD thing isn't going to come through.

I received 2 MD interviews after being rejected for the MD/PhD at those schools, but I agree that as a whole it puts you at a disadvantage time-wise.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're not accepted to an MD/PhD, you can only be transferred to MD admissions, not PhD (and some schools won't even transfer you to MD; it depends on the program). So as ClimbsRox implied, you'd have to apply to PhD programs separately. Most programs have late December deadlines, but you'd have to kind of be on top of the ball to apply to PhD programs if it seems the MD/PhD thing isn't going to come through.

I received 2 MD interviews after being rejected for the MD/PhD at those schools, but I agree that as a whole it puts you at a disadvantage time-wise.

Sorry for multiple questions, but is it possible to apply to MD and MD/PhD programs in same school at same time?

Sorry for multiple questions, but is it possible to apply to MD and MD/PhD programs in same school at same time?

For the most part, no. Most schools will ask you to indicate whether you are applying MD or MD/PhD, and if you choose MD/PhD, some schools will offer you the option of indicating whether you want to be funneled to MD admissions in the event you are not offered an interview.

Reactions: 1 users