MD/PhD Strength

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strictlydickly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably good chance at top 5-20. I think you have a shot at the tip top programs 1-5ish but nothing sticks out enough beyond the first author basic pub. After a few pubs, you begin to see diminishing returns; especially when you have a 1st author, the ones without significant authorship don't add much value. Perhaps more important than your pub record is your LOR from the research mentor. Do you do anything interesting outside academics? I feel as if most MD/PHDs at top programs are rockstars in research and academics like you but also have an extra dimension they excel in.

Probably good chance at top 5-20. I think you have a shot at the tip top programs 1-5ish but nothing sticks out enough beyond the first author basic pub. After a few pubs, you begin to see diminishing returns; especially when you have a 1st author, the ones without significant authorship don't add much value. Perhaps more important than your pub record is your LOR from the research mentor. Do you do anything interesting outside academics? I feel as if most MD/PHDs at top programs are rockstars in research and academics like you but also have an extra dimension they excel in.

Edited main post in response to your post

Members don't see this ad :)
You're golden. Aim high!

Hey guys, so I just wanted to get a feel for how strong of an applicant I am for a top MD/PhD program:

Scale of 1-10; I have 7 publications (published/in preparation), one first author then the other 6 range from 2nd to 5th. This is all at a basic science lab. I also have 1.5 years of research in a clinical lab with 2 publications in preparation, so I guess that adds up to 9 publications overall.

I work 40 hours a week in the lab and 20 hours a week as a TA while taking 20 credits a semester and maintaining 3.95 GPA and am salutatorian of my school at a top 30 institution with a double major.

522 MCAT, 300 shadowing hours, 100 volunteering.

Edit: Beyond that, I started a club in school and have traveled around the world significantly. I grew up in an impoverished third world country and also got caught in a war and spent a significant portion of my younger years in bomb shelters and whatnot. Am a US citizen by a chance and grew up abroad my entire life in a not so normal household.
I also have 6 phenomenal letters of rec which ( I think) say things along the manner of "best student I have ever met" etc.

Hey guys, so I just wanted to get a feel for how strong of an applicant I am for a top MD/PhD program:

Scale of 1-10; I have 7 publications (published/in preparation), one first author then the other 6 range from 2nd to 5th. This is all at a basic science lab. I also have 1.5 years of research in a clinical lab with 2 publications in preparation, so I guess that adds up to 9 publications overall.

I work 40 hours a week in the lab and 20 hours a week as a TA while taking 20 credits a semester and maintaining 3.95 GPA and am salutatorian of my school at a top 30 institution with a double major.

522 MCAT, 300 shadowing hours, 100 volunteering.

Edit: Beyond that, I started a club in school and have traveled around the world significantly. I grew up in an impoverished third world country and also got caught in a war and spent a significant portion of my younger years in bomb shelters and whatnot. Am a US citizen by a chance and grew up abroad my entire life in a not so normal household.
I also have 6 phenomenal letters of rec which ( I think) say things along the manner of "best student I have ever met" etc.

Seems like you are competitive for any program at any school in the entire US. I'm assuming you are URM as well based on your background? Even if you're a white male, with stats like those I'm sure you are still fine for any school.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like you are competitive for any program at any school in the entire US. I'm assuming you are URM as well based on your background? Even if you're a white male, with stats like those I'm sure you are still fine for any school.

Thanks!! Funny enough I was actually wondering if I am a URM, but I guess that is a question for a different thread, I assume not though, I am Middle Eastern and on the common app (this was the first time I EVER had to check a box for race) Middle Eastern was a subcategory of white.

Thanks!! Funny enough I was actually wondering if I am a URM, but I guess that is a question for a different thread, I assume not though, I am Middle Eastern and on the common app (this was the first time I EVER had to check a box for race) Middle Eastern was a subcategory of white.

Haha, that's weird. I certainly wouldn't have guessed middle eastern is white. It's amazing to think that you would have such a great GPA/MCAT/ECs with how many research and TA hours you put in at a top school! I'm sure Med Schools will be equally impressed!

Yes middle eastern is considered white and wouldn't carry the normal URM draw from what I heard around these sites. But you have **** tons more going on for you. You are the applicants I only hear about around camp fires

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! Really makes me feel confident this coming cycle!
Dont get too confident we have tons of people on here with amazing stats and are asking if they should give up and go to PA .. All im saying is dont drop the ball now rock those interviews and dont do anything stupid. Good luck

rock those interviews and dont do anything stupid. Good luck
I agree, and I believe that interviews make a huge difference for MD/PhD. I think because there are fewer applicants being considered, and there is much more at stake in terms of both financial and training investment, interviewers have more of a chance to really get behind individual applicants. At least this is the case at the program I'm matriculating at (top 5); I was told by the director that my interviewers really fought for me at the committee meeting. I don't know if I would've gotten in had I presented as lackluster during the interview.

As an aside, your app sounds incredible and I think you know that. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
One last note -- if you have 7 publications "published/in preparation", you don't actually have 7 publications. Only list the ones that are published or accepted for publication on your application. In preparation is fluff. If you have submitted, you could write that in the research blurb but not as a publication.