MD/PhD Student, Service during PhD years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is not the proper venue for this question, but I'm not sure who else to ask. I'm currently an MS2 in a MD/PhD program, meaning that I am expected to start my PhD in the fall as soon as I take STEP 1. My desire to serve and be part of something big have always drawn me to military service, but random things have always kept that from happening (accepted to Naval academy, religious upbringing dragged me to a religious school instead; wanted to do OCS right out of college instead of med school, mentors made this seem like career suicide. I now know that neither they nor I had a clue).

However, the time in my PhD seems flexible enough to do reserves (Navy, preferably) or national guard and I don't want to miss this opportunity to do so. I have been thinking seriously about this and researching how it could be done for about a year now.

If I take a year off immediately following STEP 1, I would theoretically have time to do basic training, some A-school, and possibly a deployment if I can get assigned to the right place (a recruiter is the one who ensured me this was possible, so I'm sure there are plenty of reasons it will not happen like that). This would allow me to take that year to serve before entering my PhD, where I would continue part-time through the PhD and probably in MS3 given the commitment length.

Going National Guard would be similar except in that case I would try to go through Federal OCS and would effectively volunteer in my future PhD lab in the remainder of that year to maximize the time given the irregularity of NG deployment.

My med school and living expenses are already paid for through my MSTP so I'm not worried about financial incentives or loans or anything like that. Just curious what y'all think about these plans. If it's the case that I'm just overzealous, this isn't possible, and that I should just wait until after med school when I actually have something to offer, I would love to know that sooner rather than later, so please tear up my plan.

All I know is that this has been heavy on my heart for a long time, now. I've regretted doing MD/PhD instead of HPSP. This feels like a way to possibly do both. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I commend you for your desire to serve. Do not regret what has happened in the past. You are currently going through an MD/PhD program so obviously you did something right along the way. The military will always be there for you if you still want it. Don't get distracted from your current program and risk getting wrapped up in something that takes you away from your primary goal in life (MD/PhD).

If you sign up now (if it is even possible) you 1) won't be serving as a physician and 2) can get pulled away from your program in ways you never thought possible. It could even derail your entire MD/PhD program.

IMO you should finish your current path in life. Once you are settled, if you still want to serve then you can come in as a physician and serve. At that time you will be able to provide a very valuable service to the military and hopefully you will also feel more fulfilled serving as fully trained professional.

Agree with this. Finish up, then consider guard. If you want to use your PhD, I'd recommend against active service in any branch. Guard or possibly reserves would be a reasonable option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the Guard or Reserve now (without accepting an financial incentive and the associated obligation) would be low risk but not zero risk with minor potential benefits. The benefit is a chance to network with people doing military research from the inside, starting your retirement clock now, and getting through your initial obligation while in school (which gives you a lot more control by allowing you to sign up for shorter increments of obligation when you get out of training and the Guard or Reserve become more of a major obligation). The downside is the risk of unrealistic expectations from your unit, being pulled from your civilian training for military training, and a lack of support from your civilian mentors and employers. Being pulled into a deployment as a student or resident in the Guard or Reserve is not a realistic risk, in my opinion. Really, it comes down to what your goals are. Joining now might make sense if you want to have a full 20+ year military career, focus your research on DoD relevant subjects, and occasionally take time away from your civilian life to deploy or attend military training. If your goal is to serve for a few years and then move on, I wouldn't even consider joining at this point in your career.

However, the time in my PhD seems flexible enough to do reserves (Navy, preferably) or national guard and I don't want to miss this opportunity to do so. I have been thinking seriously about this and researching how it could be done for about a year now.

A terrible idea, you have no idea where your research is going to take you and how much time you're going to need to finish. Most MD PHD programs only allow 3 years to do your dissertation, it's already tight as is.

Finish your degrees and residency, then think about joining the reserves. I think that would be the best way to do it.