MD/PhD: The Right Stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

learningcurve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: On a basic, simplistic level, do I have what it takes to get into the top 10 MD/PhD institutions? This question especially relates to my MCAT scores and my ability to get into a school like UCSF (my first choice.)

Background: 10 VB, 12 PS, 11 BS, T. 3.93 GPA. Bioengineering Major. Extensive neuroscience research at NIH and my U. with pending publications. Satisfactory volunteer work, extracurricular activities, and award recognitions.

On the website, UCSF reports a stat of ~34 average for medschool; this probably means MD/PhD av. is 2-3 pts. higher. Will the MCAT score detract from my application? Could I be rejected just because I didn't score a 35-40 like many successful MD/PhD applicants I know? Is it true that UCSF is not as obsessed with this test?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by learningcurve:
Question: On a basic, simplistic level, do I have what it takes to get into the top 10 MD/PhD institutions? This question especially relates to my MCAT scores and my ability to get into a school like UCSF (my first choice.)

learningcurve, I'm in a MSTP program at a top ten school. Your scores are slightly lower than average for a top ten MSTP, but you'd still probably get some good interviews based on your research experience. It seems like schools just use MCAT and GPA to screen applicants for interviews, then accept or reject based on interviews.

I'd apply to lots of programs, not just top tens. Don't get too set on UCSF--you might find that you like another program better. After other acceptances and speaking to interviewees who had just come from UCSF, I decided to decline my interview invitation.
MD/PhD students at UCSF take a very long time to graduate (9-12 years by one estimate) and living in SF on the stipend (about $15,000-17,000) would be difficult. SF is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. On the other hand, another interviewee I met loved the program.

If you're really worried about your MCAT and really want to attend UCSF, I'd call their MD/PhD office and talk with them. The staff are usually very friendly and helpful.

learning curve,

I am working at the NIH/NINDS this summer. I'm curious as to what kind of neuroscience research you did there?

I've been included as a contributing author on several papers, but I have never been the main scientist investigating something which has been published.

Do MD/PhD programs differentiate between the two kinds of authorship?

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey baylor-21,

In what capacity are you working at NINDS? Did you apply for of one the internships, or arrange your own position?

Scully,

I am an intern as part of the Summer Program in the Neurological Sciences here at the NINDS.

I am working on MRI 3D acquisition methods at the Lab of Functional Molecular Imaging at the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Research Center.

The internship program has a website, you can use the link below to get to it.
http://www.summer.ninds.nih.gov

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

learningcurve,

All you can do is apply. Sure, your MCAT is a little low for a top-ten institution, but MD-PhD programs give their interviewees a much harder look than plain MD programs, and since your grades and research are so stellar and you have pubs (a big plus), you should go ahead and try. But like the others have said, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Apply to a *lot* of schools, because there's really no way to predict which schools will interview you and which won't. (It is certainly not a strict function of the school's rating by USNWR/Gourman/meaningless ranking system of choice.)

baylor21:

As far as publications go, there is certainly a difference between contributing and primary author. Since this is the case I am sure that schools look differently at a paper where you are "author #5" vs. a paper where the only authors are you and your boss.

Geo

Geoleox,

Not to belabor the point, but there may be a difference between the extremes of first author as opposed to seventh in a group of twenty. However, being a second author or even a third author does not discount the research you conducted. It will still make for good interview fodder. Although I have no direct experience with this (yes, that does mean you can ignore anything I say), I think schools want to know what you have published to get a feel for what research you do--what interests and motivates you.

Even an acknowledgement in a paper indicates your pro-active work in research.

I will say, however, that I am writing a paper where I will be first author and I am sure that there is a difference in the kind of work that goes into getting first authorship as opposed to second or third.

[This message has been edited by learningcurve (edited 07-14-2000).]