MD/PHD transfer? and here's what happened

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Acetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo friends,
So I currently am a pre-med student. I have just finished my 3rd year majoring in biomedical science. I am taking my MCAT in a month by the way. I have a decent amount of shadowing hours and about a year and a half worth of research, with 5 research projects total (about 6 to 8 more to do next year).
Originally, as a kid, I wanted to be a scientist/researcher (PHD), as I grew up, I became very interested in MD, but I didn't want to do one in place of the other. So I asked my adviser, and he told me about the MD/PHD program. However, he scared the hell out of me saying "if 2'000, only about 15-20 will get accepted to MD/PHD" especially that my GPA is not the highest of all.
I thought about giving PHD up. Then I thought that maybe I'll do it in the unknown future, someday. Therefore, I submitted my AAMC application while applying to MD only. I later read about people who had a higher chance of getting in MD/PHD than MD-only. But it's now late to go back to apply to MD/PHD programs.
Can I transfer from MD (provided that I get accepted) to MD/PHD? What are my options to get a PHD before a residency if I can't transfer? What do I need to transfer?
-Note: I have just joined the forums to ask this question. Hence, this is my very first post.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of programs will take internal applications from M1's and M2's. I know at my program we usually gain ~1 person from every incoming M1 class after either their M1 or M2 year. In general, these people did summer research before M1 or in between M1 and M2 year and have identified their mentor from their summer research experience. You'll need to get in touch with the program director at the school you end up matriculating to in order to gauge your competitiveness for an internal transfer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I later read about people who had a higher chance of getting in MD/PHD than MD-only.

Having a year and a half of research almost certainly does not put you in that boat, frankly.

Reactions: 2 users
about a year and a half worth of research, with 5 research projects total (about 6 to 8 more to do next year).
How does this math work?
What is your role on each of these projects? How much time do you dedicate to each lab?
What are you counting as "one project"?

Reactions: 1 users
Having a year and a half of research almost certainly does not put you in that boat, frankly.
I guess that's kinda true. What if I have a lot of big research projects planned out and on the way? can't I mention that in an interview?

How does this math work?
What is your role on each of these projects? How much time do you dedicate to each lab?
What are you counting as "one project"?
I worked by myself on three projects, one I helped with, and one I worked with a partner. The "one project" is one with a hypothesis, a set of questions, and an outcome to either support the hypothesis/thesis, or deny it --> thus push me to work on re-wording it. Each project took different amount of hours, just mainly because of the nature of work. Some micro researches took about 100 hours, while o chem research took 700+ hours....

A lot of programs will take internal applications from M1's and M2's. I know at my program we usually gain ~1 person from every incoming M1 class after either their M1 or M2 year. In general, these people did summer research before M1 or in between M1 and M2 year and have identified their mentor from their summer research experience. You'll need to get in touch with the program director at the school you end up matriculating to in order to gauge your competitiveness for an internal transfer.
So internal transfer is possible... I heard that I will no longer be paid for research. Is that true? Or is it that I get paid for research during PHD years, but will not receive the stipend that covers med school (like students who originally came in as MD/PHD)?

Your GPA is below average for medical school. Hopefully your MCAT will be above average for medical school.

Focus on getting into medical school.

We can re-visit whether you have any chance at internal transfer once you have medical school acceptances in hand. The answer may very well be no, but this is a theoretical discussion considering lack of MCAT score. The answer will also depend on the program to which you're accepted. That GPA portends a lower ranked medical school which won't have a large MD/PhD program to transfer into.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is below average for medical school. Hopefully your MCAT will be above average for medical school.

Focus on getting into medical school.

We can re-visit whether you have any chance at internal transfer once you have medical school acceptances in hand. The answer may very well be no, but this is a theoretical discussion considering lack of MCAT score. The answer will also depend on the program to which you're accepted. That GPA portends a lower ranked medical school which won't have a large MD/PhD program to transfer into.

Yep. I know I have one crappy GPA... So wait until I get my MCAT then get back to this discussion? I think I kinda got anxious for a bit and jumped ahead with the discussion. How do I put this thread on hold/temporary close it?

I guess that's kinda true. What if I have a lot of big research projects planned out and on the way? can't I mention that in an interview?

Most applicants do, bud. But keep in mind that statements like that will likely mean very little to a reader. You could have a compelling interview story, but never get an interview. Even at the interview stage, it's no sure bet. In all my interviews, I was only asked once about future projects.

I understand the frustration of where you are, but it may help you to keep in mind that you have not taken any steps that somehow inhibit a research career. You can get a PhD during residency. You can get one later. You can do research without one.

Reactions: 1 user
Most applicants do, bud. But keep in mind that statements like that will likely mean very little to a reader. You could have a compelling interview story, but never get an interview. Even at the interview stage, it's no sure bet. In all my interviews, I was only asked once about future projects.

I understand the frustration of where you are, but it may help you to keep in mind that you have not taken any steps that somehow inhibit a research career. You can get a PhD during residency. You can get one later. You can do research without one.

Thanks for the spirit-lift bud! Can you explain more to me about going for PhD during residency?

I'm probably not the best person to ask on that (I haven't even started medical school yet). As I understand it, certain residencies (or fellowships) have protected research time that you, in some cases, can expand in conjunction with an institutionally-affiliated graduate program to earn a PhD. Or you just apply to a PhD program after residency through the normal application pathways.

I worked by myself on three projects, one I helped with, and one I worked with a partner. The "one project" is one with a hypothesis, a set of questions, and an outcome to either support the hypothesis/thesis, or deny it --> thus push me to work on re-wording it. Each project took different amount of hours, just mainly because of the nature of work. Some micro researches took about 100 hours, while o chem research took 700+ hours....
Somewhat of an aside, but keep in mind that real science, as opposed to pseudo science, poses questions that are falsifiable. Your research should be focusing on trying to find evidence that refutes a hypothesis. Read up on Karl Popper if you're interested in differentiating science from non-science. If you're using any sort of classical (Frequentist) statistical methods, this is something to keep in mind, because you don't find evidence to support the null hypothesis-- only evidence to refute it.