MD school vs dental school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted659902

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
c7358e161859b0a65c09fef0e3996c13.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't necessarily say that med students are smarter than dental, it just depends what field of study you want to go into and what interests you. It seems most people agree that the mcat is harder than the DAT and gpa averages may be a bit higher for accepted med students. Anyways, you can't really say med students are more intelligent than dental and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
Objectively speaking, US allopathic medical schools. The MCAT is a harder test and the average GPA needed to be competitive is higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
does the bear **** in the woods?
Of course dental students are smarter than the medical students

Reactions: 2 users
giphy.gif

op in a few hours.

Reactions: 15 users
Why is the MCAT a harder test, and by how much is the average GPA higher?

Longer exam, overall more in depth, questions require a little more thinking, questions can be lengthy etc. etc.

Average GPA for MD's is like 3.7. Overall MD is harder to apply to but man I love how much the AAMC gives out information on applicants and matriculants. Plus the MSAR is a nifty tool...

Could you elaborate on this?

The current exam pulls stuff from psychology, soc, biophysics and even micro. Also some questions are just short paragraphs so it's a pain and the reading is much more difficult than the DAT. Take a practice MCAT if you don't believe me. If I wanted to score in a similar percentile to my DAT on the MCAT I would probably need to study a LOT more.

Members don't see this ad :)
The current exam pulls stuff from psychology, soc, biophysics and even micro. Also some questions are just short paragraphs so it's a pain and the reading is much more difficult than the DAT. Take a practice MCAT if you don't believe me. If I wanted to score in a similar percentile to my DAT on the MCAT I would probably need to study a LOT more.
Does the MCAT have QR and PAT? Does the MCAT cover more topics in biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry than the DAT?

No QR but they have physics (Well the new mcat is Biophysics like problems) no PAT, biology is more in depth, they have genchem in similar fashion to DAT, orgo is much less that the DAT. Why? Planning on switching to MD?

Are you saying that topics covered on both exams are tested on the same level?
Yes the shared topics should be the same (maybe like a small difference between the two) but I know some questions on the mcat are not straightforward like on DAT. Some questions in the mcat will be linked to a short paragraph for example where if you don't understand the topic you could easily losee 4 or so questions in a row.

Really the difference lies between total topics covered and how questions are presented.

So the MCAT is more breadth than depth at least for bio. Would you agree?
Maybe, I mean just like the DAT you won't be tested on everything you studied but you are expected to know a fair amount on each topic.

studentdent stop being nflammatorythe mcat is way harder than the dat the dat asks a question like "where is the dna stored in a cell" and your QR circlejerk is invalid because mcat physics uses arithmetic

i understand you regret your decision in life but badgering one of your own (a predent) is useless

Longer exam, overall more in depth, questions require a little more thinking, questions can be lengthy etc. etc.

Average GPA for MD's is like 3.7. Overall MD is harder to apply to but man I love how much the AAMC gives out information on applicants and matriculants. Plus the MSAR is a nifty tool...

I posted a link on another thread with admissions stats and the average GPA for medical school is a 3.6 something. The website is down now. I think it was on the "First Post" thread.

As for which one is harder, I don't know that one is harder than the other, it's like saying the SAT is harder than the ACT, but generally people score about the same on both. They are different tests so you really can't compare. The SAT is going to be easier for someone that is stronger in math where the ACT is easier for more all around students, but if you aren't good in math, they are both hard!

studentdent stop being nflammatorythe mcat is way harder than the dat the dat asks a question like "where is the dna stored in a cell" and your QR circlejerk is invalid because mcat physics uses arithmetic
i understand you regret your decision in life but badgering one of your own (a predent) is useless

yea MCAT is way harder than DAT, can you please return to your pre med forum and stop wandering around here?

hopefully 3-4 years from now you will actually make it into a MD school and not belong in a tens of thousands of rejectees.

MD is harder to get into and way harder to specialize. MCAT test subjects are more in depth and you need higher GPA to get in medical school. That's why some premeds fail to get into a medical school and switch to dental instead.

MD is harder to get into and way harder to specialize. MCAT test subjects are more in depth and you need higher GPA to get in medical school. That's why some premeds fail to get into a medical school and switch to dental instead.

Not true...3.55 mean GPA for med school, 28.6 MCAT which is 69-70th percentile vs a 3.56 GPA for dental school and a mean DAT of 19.9 which is the 85th%

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85332/data/combined08.pdf

http://datbootcamp.com/blog/dat-grading-scale/

This argument is ridiculously pointless. I do believe the MCAT is harder than the DAT. But so what, give both tests to the same 1000 people and the cream will rise to the top in both populations. That's the point of both tests, equal assessment within their applicant pools. Also for anyone who chooses to believe that being an MD is the peak of academic achievement, they must be forgetting about Caribbean MDs... Also the DO thing throws another wrench into the physician superiority complex (there are no for-profit dental schools YET).

Summary: Who cares which is harder? Choose the career you want and make it happen.

This argument is ridiculously pointless. I do believe the MCAT is harder than the DAT. But so what, give both tests to the same 1000 people and the cream will rise to the top in both populations. That's the point of both tests, equal assessment within their applicant pools. Also for anyone who chooses to believe that being an MD is the peak of academic achievement, they must be forgetting about Caribbean MDs... Also the DO thing throws another wrench into the physician superiority complex (there are no for-profit dental schools YET).

Summary: Who cares which is harder? Choose the career you want and make it happen.
So do you believe that on average medical students are smarter than dental students?

So do you believe that on average medical students are smarter than dental students?
Lol I feel like you didn't understand my post...which makes me believe that the average medical student is smarter than you ;)... but to answer your post I really have no idea nor care. I have met many of the medical students (MD, well-regarded state school) at my university and they all seem very similar to the people in my class, albeit way less cool obviously. And you keep jumping around with the group of people you are talking about, stick with US allopathic medical student or medical students in general (which for Americans would include US MD, DO, and carribean MD).

I think there's one thing we can all agree on. Both are smarter than the OP; who even makes a topic like this knowing the implications lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol I feel like you didn't understand my post...which makes me believe that the average medical student is smarter than you ;)... but to answer your post I really have no idea nor care. I have met many of the medical students (MD, well-regarded state school) at my university and they all seem very similar to the people in my class, albeit way less cool obviously. And you keep jumping around with the group of people you are talking about, stick with US allopathic medical student or medical students in general (which for Americans would include US MD, DO, and carribean MD).
For someone who claims to be indifferent of med vs dent admissions, you make such a meticulous effort to distinguish between US MD/DO/non-US MD schools. Don't you think?

I think there's one thing we can all agree on. Both are smarter than the OP; who even makes a topic like this knowing the implications lol.
Resorting to ad hominem doesn't answer the question at hand, does it? Besides, what implications are you specifically alluding to? The question posed at the very beginning is quite innocuous, no?

Exactly what "more stuff?" Are you implying the MCAT covers everything the DAT covers and more?

Why the **** don't you go look it up instead of asking incessant questions? Stop trying to bait me. Go nuts at circlejerk on reddit.

Dental students have a much easier 3rd year than medical students do. Also, MCAT is 10x harder than DAT. Sorry, but it's true

Why the **** don't you go look it up instead of asking incessant questions? Stop trying to bait me. Go nuts at circlejerk on reddit.
Are you avoiding from answering the question because you've been making statements that are nothing more than speculations based on hearsays? (i.e. you don't really know what you are talking about?) No need to get all emotional here.

Dental students have a much easier 3rd year than medical students do. Also, MCAT is 10x harder than DAT. Sorry, but it's true
Your first statement doesn't answer the question, which specifically deals with the admissions, not what goes on afterwards. 10x harder you say? Why is that?

Us dental folk aren't so good at the book learnin, what with the big words and all, but what we lack in smarts we make up for in gumption. Now those fancy MDs may have to work their big ol brains a bit harder, but I reckon in the end I might have more time for tv watchin, which was my first choice of profession until I realized that it's just too dang competitive.

Reactions: 6 users
Are you avoiding from answering the question because you've been making statements that are nothing more than speculations based on hearsays? (i.e. you don't really know what you are talking about?) No need to get all emotional here.

Are you avoiding googling to find your answers because you are lazy or because you just like trolling, perhaps both? I don't need to get emotional to cuss out mildly annoying asshats, I just do it simply for my amusement.

Op is basically this goat. If you don't get this analogy you're not smart enough to get into med school but you might still be able to get into dental school.
GoatAttack1.gif

GoatAttack2.gif

GoatAttack3.gif

GoatAttack4.gif

GoatAttack5.gif

GoatAttack6.gif

Last edited:
Your first statement doesn't answer the question, which specifically deals with the admissions, not what goes on afterwards. 10x harder you say? Why is that?
Oh I know, I was just saying that third year ds's seem to have a much easier time than med students with their rotations and stuff. As for the MCAT vs. DAT, it's obvious I think. I personally thought DAT wasn't difficult. My roommate recently took the 7hr MCAT. She had to study biochem in depth as well as physics. People taking DAT don't have to do that. :)