MD schools in the Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arfigi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know of any non-Illinois schools in the midwest that are private or public and not incredibly selective with out of staters? So far I only know about wisconsin medical college and st. louis in missourri. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe most of the OH schools - Med Col OH, Wayne/Wright state...

Members don't see this ad :)
Creighton doesn't give any preference to NE residents.

The University of South Dakota always takes some out of staters.

wayne isnt in ohio, mco and wright get only 10% of students out of state, so when you take away medstart and other such programs that ends up being like only ~ 15 students out of state, but then again what do i know

Freakedout said:
wayne isnt in ohio, mco and wright get only 10% of students out of state, so when you take away medstart and other such programs that ends up being like only ~ 15 students out of state, but then again what do i know

Thanks for the corrections. :oops:

Well, the Medical College of Wisconsin is good, but they had 4720 applicants for 274 accepted spots this year.

Pretty Sure MCO has more than 15 out of state matriculants in a given year. In previous years, MCO has matriculated ~13 from Cali alone. Not to be considering that is approx. 10% of the class size. Also, this does not include the number of acceptances that MCO throws at Cali, but the Cali applicants decide to go elsewhere.

In all the 10% matriculant figure is good for estimating Cali Matriculants, but does not represent the percentage of class size for out-of-state which is more like ~40%. :thumbup: :luck:

OSU is a good school. They are giving less preference to in-state and accepting more out of state students.

Somebody in another thread mentioned Michigan (which surprised me). It's a great school, so if they are out-of-state friendly, hit up the wolverines.

SLU and Wash U. are private (obviously, the one is slightly :) more selective)

If it helps at all, Mizzou, Kentucky, and Wisc are tough on outee's. Iowa's an awesome school that I've heard flirts with IL residents quite a bit (I'm guessing you are an IL resident).

MCW accepts a million kids and interviews 2.7 million, so definitely apply there.

-Vandyfox

(If you are an IL res. p.m. me if you want to know my personal experience with some of these schools: I applied to Iowa, Mizzou, OSU, MCW, SLU, KY, Wisc., Mich. St.)

Members don't see this ad :)
A 5.8% acceptance rate at MCW definitely proves they interview 2.7 million people and accept almost 2 million.

Mayo is a good shot for non-MN residents. They accept quite a few MN residents but lots of people from out of state as well.

trouta said:
Mayo is a good shot for non-MN residents. They accept quite a few MN residents but lots of people from out of state as well.

While it is true that Mayo accepts a good share of its class from outside of MN, its still frickin' crazy hard to get into with such a small class size. To the OP: Keep in mind that Mayo is one of the more competitive schools out there...so good luck :horns:

Freakedout said:

I can't speak for Wright, but MCO matriculates 25% out-of-state. At least that's what the information sheet they gave us at our interview said. Matriculated 117 in-state and 39 out-of-staters. Any MEDStart students accepted will be in-state by the time they actually start med school, so you don't have to worry about them taking up out-of-state spots.

Hallm_7 said:
I can't speak for Wright, but MCO matriculates 25% out-of-state. At least that's what the information sheet they gave us at our interview said. Matriculated 117 in-state and 39 out-of-staters. Any MEDStart students accepted will be in-state by the time they actually start med school, so you don't have to worry about them taking up out-of-state spots.

Hey Hall,

Will you be heading to MCO this Fall, next Fall, somewhere else? Chillin like a villin' :rolleyes: ;)

-Salty

Since I'm a MEDStarter I'll matriculate in the fall of '05, but we'll actually all be in Toledo for a couple weeks this summer. We'll be up there from July 5 to July 16 taking some intro lectures and learning basics of patient care like H&P. At least that's what I gather from the material they sent us.

How are you enjoying MCO so far? I'm sure your first lab rotation was pretty intimidating with the huge learning curve. Who's lab are you rotating through this time?

Hallm_7 said:
Since I'm a MEDStarter I'll matriculate in the fall of '05, but we'll actually all be in Toledo for a couple weeks this summer. We'll be up there from July 5 to July 16 taking some intro lectures and learning basics of patient care like H&P. At least that's what I gather from the material they sent us.

How are you enjoying MCO so far? I'm sure your first lab rotation was pretty intimidating with the huge learning curve. Who's lab are you rotating through this time?

So far, so good. I've been rotating through Dr. Xie's lab this Summer. Since I have some background in Anal Chem and Computational Chemistry, he has me working on the Structural-Signalling properties of the Sodium Alpha Subunit.

Pretty interesting actually. So far, I've been in the library this entire Summer for about 5 hours a day reading articles and putting together a research project that will hopefully turn into my PhD project. Dr. Xie is totally Chill and is willing to work through any inconveniences I throw at him. In sum, I couldn't ask for much more. The eye twitch that I gained from my undergrad 'sleep deprivation studies' is finally starting to go away. Pretty low-stress work, for decent pay/stipend. Weather is pretty bitchen mid-70's low humidity; as of late...

And yes, the learning curve is very large. I have become an unequivocable expert on the Porcine Alpha-Subunit's Primary structure, activity, etc. of Amino Acids from 378-786. :laugh: :laugh:

This type of studying of course will be in stark contrast to this Fall's MD studies which will be, "Miles Wide, and only a few inches deep," as one SDNer said in a thread not that long ago.

In all, MCO has amazed me with how convenient they've made the whole matriculation process. Definitely no regrets with picking MCO.

Maybe we can go for lunch sometime this Summer. PM if you're in the area.

-Tom

Vandyfox said:
If it helps at all, Mizzou, Kentucky, and Wisc are tough on outee's. Iowa's an awesome school that I've heard flirts with IL residents quite a bit (I'm guessing you are an IL resident).

Mizzou and Madison are tough on inees too!

SaltySqueegee said:
Since I have some background in Anal Chem and Computational Chemistry, he has me working on the Structural-Signalling properties of the Sodium Alpha Subunit.

Anal chem, my favorite subject

exmike said:
Anal chem, my favorite subject
HAHAHA :laugh: :thumbup: :D

That's how we always referred to the class in undergrad. Damn Precision and Accuracy to Hell! :smuggrin: :laugh: