This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limestrees

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, you would be going from one of the most favorable states to one of the least. Unless you’re a superstar applicant, it’s probably a bad idea

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess so but there are better states to establish residency. Massachusetts is super competitive and they only have one IS school in which the median IS MCAT is like a 515 or something

Reactions: 1 user
Are you referring to switching my state of residency? Or not applying to TX schools? Because unfortunately, I won't be applying to TX schools either way. So I guess a better way to rephrase the questions is: would switching to MA residency help offset the anti-TX resident bias for other schools?
It sounds like you are moving for personal/ family reasons. Whichever state you plan to live in, research how long you will need to live there to establish official residency in that state. It will probably be quicker to achieve this if you are not a current student, and you can show that you are moving there to live and work. Look on the websites of your "new" state medical schools too to see what their rules are.
I wish you the best in your move.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I think for Massachusetts, one must have lived in state for 7 years or something to qualify as an IS applicant

Reactions: 2 users
Never heard of such bias...
When only 5.5% of TX applicants matriculate OOS, eventually we just quit interviewing them (unless there is a compelling reason to believe that they might leave). Only Puerto Rico has a lower OOS matriculation percentage. https://www.aamc.org/media/6016/download

We do still interview folks to whom we can give a big scholarship.

Reactions: 3 users
Is attending graduate/professional school and some work experience outside of TX typically "compelling" enough evidence? I haven't lived or worked in TX since undergrad.

I also have family and friends throughout the Midwest, Northeast, and in California, but I'm not sure if that would be worth mentioning. I was mostly thinking that officially forfeiting my TX residency would be the best way to show that I'm willing to leave.
We sometimes interview folks who attended undergrad in CA or who have been here for some time.
I can't remember interviewing a TX resident who had no connection to us (except for scholarship candidates, as above).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, it's real. There are a few other threads that are a bit older that have discussed it. Here's a couple: OOS Bias Against Texas Residents, Bias against Texas residents

I wish I could pick somewhere besides MA, but we've unfortunately just been here long enough to establish residency (moved here for work) and won't have a chance to move again before applying. But thank you both for your replies and help!
If it helps I'm a lifelong TX resident and went to undergrad in TX but I still got 2 MD interviews and like 10 DO interviews to out of state schools. TX schools were actually very unfriendly to me, only one interview and acceptance to a TX DO school

Im matriculating to an OOS MD in a state where I have no ties so theres still a chance IMO, I was always worried about the TX bias but it didn't end up affecting me that much

If it helps I'm a lifelong TX resident and went to undergrad in TX but I still got 2 MD interviews and like 10 DO interviews to out of state schools. TX schools were actually very unfriendly to me, only one interview and acceptance to a TX DO school

Im matriculating to an OOS MD in a state where I have no ties so theres still a chance IMO, I was always worried about the TX bias but it didn't end up affecting me that much
I got no TX interviews in 2 cycles as a resident. Lol.

• Care
It is objectively going to hurt your chances at getting into med school if you choose to drop your TX residency and/or forego applying to TX schools. That isn't the end-all, be-all, and life is more than just maximizing your chances of getting into medical school. Four years is a long time to live in a place you don't want to be. But you do need to be aware of how your choice is going to impact your chances, and that unless you are a very strong applicant you may be choosing between attending medical school in TX (and graduating with minimal debt) vs. not being a doctor As others have said, MA is a very very hard state for med school admissions.

Not an easy choice. Best of luck no matter what you choose.

I have the option to establish my official residency in a new state. I'm thinking about doing so because I don't plan on applying to Texas medical schools (a mix of personal preference and spousal duties). I want to end up in the Midwest for medical school and beyond, and I'm worried that the OOS bias against Texas residents will work against me here.

Though I know it would likely be easier overall to stay a Texas resident and apply through TMDSAS, would forfeiting my Texas residency help me in other states?
I went to Kentucky to establish residency for dental and it was easy to get in. Medical is even easier. They had sub 50th percentile acceptance for MCAT back in 2014. Haven't kept up with it since then.

I don’t think admissions have a bias against Texas residents solely because they are texans. It might be something in their personal statements or something from their personalities makes them a not desirable candidates for their schools. If you get an interview from any schools that are not from your states they may ask why this school, so if you have persuasive reasons that you really want to live in midwest not texas anymore because of multiple logical reasons there should not be any reasons to not accepting you. However, of course if you cannot persuade them then you may have a hard time during the application cycle
The reason for the bias: given that Texas tuitions are 1/3 to 1/2 of the OOS school tuitions, most Texans end up staying in state for affordability reasons. OOS schools feel they have wasted an interview slot because the Texans will eventually choose the more affordable school.

Despite stereotypes, there is no "Texas personality". :whistle:

Reactions: 8 users
I have the option to establish my official residency in a new state. I'm thinking about doing so because I don't plan on applying to Texas medical schools (a mix of personal preference and spousal duties). I want to end up in the Midwest for medical school and beyond, and I'm worried that the OOS bias against Texas residents will work against me here.

Though I know it would likely be easier overall to stay a Texas resident and apply through TMDSAS, would forfeiting my Texas residency help me in other states?
Hey there. I did what you are asking about, as I was free to change my residency at will in the military. So my amcas said: state X.

But, there are more questions involving location. And then every application I did that was a state school except one if I can remember (so 10+ or so) asked stuff like what high school, where born, what is my address, how long have I lived there, etc etc. They obviously include these questions for a reason.

So my amcas said state X, some application questions the answer was state Y, and others state Z. In other words, it really didn’t look like I was actually from the state I listed (even though legally, it was my state of residence). And obviously there is no way to verify whether true or not, but I believe I was treated as out of state for the state I lived in at the time, the state I was originally from (before I changed residence), and the state I changed to that was on my amcas. I didn’t get in anywhere state Z or Y, even though 2 schools should have been very good odds. I also didn’t get into the 2 lower ranked state schools in state X that should have been very good odds but are very OOS unfriendly. On the other hand, I got into both other schools in state X that are much more competitive and higher ranked but are more OOS friendly. Could be just how the dice landed, but it seems pretty obvious to me that I was not IS for any state.

I had to make a new account to respond to your question, that is how important I think it is to consider this, especially if you might be relying on that in state boost.

It might be something in their personal statements or something from their personalities makes them a not desirable candidates for their schools.
LOL no.. It has to do with numbers, because IS tuition for Texas residents is so significantly cheaper, OOS schools expect us to stay in Texas if given the option.

Hey there. I did what you are asking about, as I was free to change my residency at will in the military. So my amcas said: state X.

But, there are more questions involving location. And then every application I did that was a state school except one if I can remember (so 10+ or so) asked stuff like what high school, where born, what is my address, how long have I lived there, etc etc. They obviously include these questions for a reason.

So my amcas said state X, some application questions the answer was state Y, and others state Z. In other words, it really didn’t look like I was actually from the state I listed (even though legally, it was my state of residence). And obviously there is no way to verify whether true or not, but I believe I was treated as out of state for the state I lived in at the time, the state I was originally from (before I changed residence), and the state I changed to that was on my amcas. I didn’t get in anywhere state Z or Y, even though 2 schools should have been very good odds. I also didn’t get into the 2 lower ranked state schools in state X that should have been very good odds but are very OOS unfriendly. On the other hand, I got into both other schools in state X that are much more competitive and higher ranked but are more OOS friendly. Could be just how the dice landed, but it seems pretty obviously to me that I was not IS for any state.

I had to make a new account to respond to your question, that is how important I think it is to consider this, especially if you might be relying on that in state boost.
I think you are making a good point. We have somewhat veered off the original poster's question here.
They have moved away from Texas, that's a done deal. No matter which state they live in now, they will be applying to a variety of states (like most AMCAS applicants do). Making the school list will involve selecting schools that fit their needs and that are friendly to students from their new state of residence.
I think @limestrees was asking so they can be sure that the bias against Texans doesn't follow them around, now that they are no longer a TX resident.

How does Texas afford to keep tuition so low. Does this prove that other state’s are gouging students. Texas has no income tax and the schools are amongst the cheapest in the country. In contrast

NY- up to 10.3% of income
CA-up to 12.5% of income
MA- up to 5% of income

Each of the above states has extreme tuition for IS that can even rival some OOS private tuitions. One would expect the tax monies that these states collect to subsidize education.

Texas gets most of its taxes from property taxes. Most places will be pretty close to 3% of the value of your home (with some small deductions). Also realize that property values went up on average like 40% in the last couple years. Worse is desireable areas around Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, SA. Taxes will lag behind that, but my appraised value went up like $150k from last year. I could try and fight it, but I actually think my house is worth even more than that.

Texas schools used to be WAY better than they are now. I have some family friend who just retired graduated from my alma matter, UTHSCSA. He paid $300/year in tuition. His professors called it the dollar a day medical school. (Did you get your dollar‘s worth of education today?). His last year, it went up to $900/year as Texas planned to triple it every year till it got to the national average. My class debt load median was just less than $140k.

I looked at the tutition a while back and it has gone up significantly. I feel the tuition growth is multi factorial. Largely, because schools can likely get whatever they charge. Students only somewhat feel the relative costs from the different schools, and they can get the loans without very little friction. Most students have no idea what it is to live on $300k a year or what the real cost of $300k in student loans is. I know I didn’t.

I was told as a student that the cost of training a physican in medical school was something like $400k, and pretty much any way you slice it, it is heavily subsidized. I‘m not sure I believe that any more.

Yes, I think for Massachusetts, one must have lived in state for 7 years or something to qualify as an IS
Yes definitely check the schools requirements because they can be much more stringent than the legal residency requirements. I had a friend who tried to switch her residency from Washington to Montana (both considered in state for University of Washington because it covers WA, WY, AK, ID, and MT). They were from WA but went to college in MT and spent 2 years after college in MT before matriculation. They rejected the MT residency because they had to spend 2 years working in MT before applying, not before matriculation. This effectively left them with no state residency. They ended up getting in at another school but you definitely don’t want to accidentally end up without an in state school.

I think you are making a good point. We have somewhat veered off the original poster's question here.
They have moved away from Texas, that's a done deal. No matter which state they live in now, they will be applying to a variety of states (like most AMCAS applicants do). Making the school list will involve selecting schools that fit their needs and that are friendly to students from their new state of residence.
I think @limestrees was asking so they can be sure that the bias against Texans doesn't follow them around, now that they are no longer a TX resident.
Whether they have moved from Texas or not is irrelevant. They are currently a legal Texas resident, with what sounds like a long history of Texas citizenship. That means that they can certainly put Texas as their residence on AMCAS, and that they should put Texas as their residence on AMCAS.

The options are:
A. apply as a Texas resident, get in state preference in Texas, and no preference everywhere else
B. apply as a Mass resident, get no preference everywhere

That's a pretty clear choice, even with OP's assertion that they refuse to apply to Texas schools (because that in itself in this case is a very poor strategic decision).

If you would never apply to or attend a texas medical school, even if it were your only current viable option to become a doctor, and even if various counseling suggests your chance at admission is higher in TX than anywhere else, then it seems to make sense to change state residence. I think people are not directly answering your question because they perhaps know more first hand how ruthless medical school admissions have become, and it seems unwise to give away any potential edge anywhere. People move to the caribbean to attend medical school, remember, that's how competitive it is. But, of course, there are thousands of people who never lived in TX and who don't apply to texas schools who get into med school just fine and you would be throwing your lot in with them instead of this unicorn of a state university system.