Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD schools offer more???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by redbark, Apr 8, 2004.

1. redbark

redbark New Member

I have been accepted to both d.o. and m.d. school and having talked to many d.o. students it seems that they would rather be m.d.'s and study traditional medicine by itself. Several students told me that some of the omm is useful but most is really questionable at best. I have been told that M.D.'s learn more "traditional" medicine while D.O.'s dont get as much exposure because they spend to much time doing omm. the reason i am asking is because i really liked pcom and am having a tough time deciding. does this seem true?

2. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We learn the same stuff. Medicine does not get shorted by OMM.

Go to the school that you think you'd be most happy spending 4 years at.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Polls and stats are only as good as the test groups. In other words if you ask only students who hate their school, you are going to get negative views.

If MOST DO students hated their schools, I don't think there would be any DOs practicing medicine today. No one is going to keep doing what they don't want to do.

You can't ask others what they think about a topic like this. It is going to be what you think and what you want that is going to be the deciding factor for you. No one really can help you chose what you will like.

I was accepted at both and CHOSE DO school. Granted I am not there yet, but I feel confident in my decision.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

There is endless discussion on this board about this, look around.

5. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    seriously...

to the op, look, if the training weren't the same, we wouldn't be the same in the eyes of the law. If anything, we have to complete more hours because of our OMM. The differences in your training will come out of where you do your clinical training, not so much your basic sciences, which will have a greater impact on your first step board scores. YOU will be the same doctor whether you go to the MD school or the DO school. I won't try to sell you on our path, but I will tell you that it is ultimately in your hands as to how good of a doctor you will be. If you put in the time, it will pay off, no matter which degree you have. In the end, OMM can be a great tool for you to have in your toolbox. Your palpatory skills will probably be better than the average MD, whether you use OMM to treat people or not.

wbdo

6. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm tired of hearing DOs knocking MDs and MDs knocking DOs. Seriously, what DrMom told you is right. Go to the school that makes you the most comfortable and will afford you the best opportunities in your future career. Niether group is "better" than the other. Both are fully liscenced physicians. You should go to the school that you like the best. Just because you are a DO, you do not have to use omm in your practice of medicine. Many of the DOs I have shadowed do not. If you do not feel a great desire to learn OMM, then the choice boils down to the school that you like the best. Don't let others make your decisions for you. I applied to only one allopathic and one osteopathic school and was accepted to both. For me, the choice was based on my personal impressions of both schools and factors such as locale, career opportunity, and research opportunities. Go with your gut. Good Luck.

7. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hope your comments weren't directed at me. I never knocked any MDs or students. Also, if you don't want to "learn OMM", then don't go to an osteopathic school. You will have to learn it and you will be responsible for it on the COMLEX.

8. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My comment were not directed at you or anyone else in particular. They were directed at the DO vs MD crowd. My point was that both schools are equal. As far as OMM goes, most osteopathic physicians do not use it in everday practice even though they were responsible for it on the COMLEX (I've shadowed roughly 20 DOs and only seen it done a couple of times). I'm sure that many DO students went to those schools without the expressed desire to learn OMM. It's just part of the curriculum. It's your choice whether you want to implement the techniques or not. Back to my advise to the OP, just go to the school that you will like the most. OMM is just another factor that you will have to consider.

9. lealf-ye

lealf-ye I am a super doctor.
    7+ Year Member

PCOM :love: :love: :love:

10. raptor5

raptor5 Fooled by Randomness
    15+ Year Member

To the OP if you are questioning what school to go to, then decline PCOM and go MD. There are plenty of people that would love that spot.

Raptor5
    PCOM Class of 2008

11. redbark

redbark New Member

thanks for the replies. i will have to think about my options.