redbark

New Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
3
0
39
columbus, ohio
Visit site
Status
I have been accepted to both d.o. and m.d. school and having talked to many d.o. students it seems that they would rather be m.d.'s and study traditional medicine by itself. Several students told me that some of the omm is useful but most is really questionable at best. I have been told that M.D.'s learn more "traditional" medicine while D.O.'s dont get as much exposure because they spend to much time doing omm. the reason i am asking is because i really liked pcom and am having a tough time deciding. does this seem true?
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,315
24
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
We learn the same stuff. Medicine does not get shorted by OMM.

Go to the school that you think you'd be most happy spending 4 years at.
 

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
4,303
3
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Polls and stats are only as good as the test groups. In other words if you ask only students who hate their school, you are going to get negative views.

If MOST DO students hated their schools, I don't think there would be any DOs practicing medicine today. No one is going to keep doing what they don't want to do.

You can't ask others what they think about a topic like this. It is going to be what you think and what you want that is going to be the deciding factor for you. No one really can help you chose what you will like.

I was accepted at both and CHOSE DO school. Granted I am not there yet, but I feel confident in my decision.

Good luck.
 
About the Ads

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
976
1
California
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by (nicedream)
There is endless discussion on this board about this, look around.
seriously...

to the op, look, if the training weren't the same, we wouldn't be the same in the eyes of the law. If anything, we have to complete more hours because of our OMM. The differences in your training will come out of where you do your clinical training, not so much your basic sciences, which will have a greater impact on your first step board scores. YOU will be the same doctor whether you go to the MD school or the DO school. I won't try to sell you on our path, but I will tell you that it is ultimately in your hands as to how good of a doctor you will be. If you put in the time, it will pay off, no matter which degree you have. In the end, OMM can be a great tool for you to have in your toolbox. Your palpatory skills will probably be better than the average MD, whether you use OMM to treat people or not.

wbdo
 

ad_sharp

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
766
0
38
You never know
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm tired of hearing DOs knocking MDs and MDs knocking DOs. Seriously, what DrMom told you is right. Go to the school that makes you the most comfortable and will afford you the best opportunities in your future career. Niether group is "better" than the other. Both are fully liscenced physicians. You should go to the school that you like the best. Just because you are a DO, you do not have to use omm in your practice of medicine. Many of the DOs I have shadowed do not. If you do not feel a great desire to learn OMM, then the choice boils down to the school that you like the best. Don't let others make your decisions for you. I applied to only one allopathic and one osteopathic school and was accepted to both. For me, the choice was based on my personal impressions of both schools and factors such as locale, career opportunity, and research opportunities. Go with your gut. Good Luck.
 

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
976
1
California
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by ad_sharp
I'm tired of hearing DOs knocking MDs and MDs knocking DOs. Seriously, what DrMom told you is right. Go to the school that makes you the most comfortable and will afford you the best opportunities in your future career. Niether group is "better" than the other. Both are fully liscenced physicians. You should go to the school that you like the best. Just because you are a DO, you do not have to use omm in your practice of medicine. Many of the DOs I have shadowed do not. If you do not feel a great desire to learn OMM, then the choice boils down to the school that you like the best. Don't let others make your decisions for you. I applied to only one allopathic and one osteopathic school and was accepted to both. For me, the choice was based on my personal impressions of both schools and factors such as locale, career opportunity, and research opportunities. Go with your gut. Good Luck.
I hope your comments weren't directed at me. I never knocked any MDs or students. Also, if you don't want to "learn OMM", then don't go to an osteopathic school. You will have to learn it and you will be responsible for it on the COMLEX.
 

ad_sharp

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
766
0
38
You never know
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by WannabeDO
I hope your comments weren't directed at me. I never knocked any MDs or students. Also, if you don't want to "learn OMM", then don't go to an osteopathic school. You will have to learn it and you will be responsible for it on the COMLEX.
My comment were not directed at you or anyone else in particular. They were directed at the DO vs MD crowd. My point was that both schools are equal. As far as OMM goes, most osteopathic physicians do not use it in everday practice even though they were responsible for it on the COMLEX (I've shadowed roughly 20 DOs and only seen it done a couple of times). I'm sure that many DO students went to those schools without the expressed desire to learn OMM. It's just part of the curriculum. It's your choice whether you want to implement the techniques or not. Back to my advise to the OP, just go to the school that you will like the most. OMM is just another factor that you will have to consider.
 

lealf-ye

I am a super doctor.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2003
315
0
41
SDN
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by redbark
I have been accepted to both d.o. and m.d. school and having talked to many d.o. students it seems that they would rather be m.d.'s and study traditional medicine by itself. Several students told me that some of the omm is useful but most is really questionable at best. I have been told that M.D.'s learn more "traditional" medicine while D.O.'s dont get as much exposure because they spend to much time doing omm. the reason i am asking is because i really liked pcom and am having a tough time deciding. does this seem true?
PCOM :love: :love: :love:
 
About the Ads