MD to DO transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swttxcandy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a first year in an allopathic medical school. However, I am wanting to know if it is possible to transfer from a allopathic medical school to an osteopathic one? I most definetly want to be a PCP I think that it will complement my desire to have a big family. I also am miserable living away from my fiance who is in law school in Fl.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I am a first year in an allopathic medical school. However, I am wanting to know if it is possible to transfer from a allopathic medical school to an osteopathic one? I most definetly want to be a PCP I think that it will complement my desire to have a big family. I also am miserable living away from my fiance who is in law school in Fl.

I think most DO schools would require you to start from scratch and begin as an MSI (depending on that particular institution's policy on required osteopathic classes). And from a career perspective, I don't think it'd make much of a difference if you completed your training at an allopathic program (most MD's go into primary care too). The only real drawback is that you wouldn't be able to complete a DO-residency (but good grief... there are a TON of outstanding allopathic primary care residencies). After your 3rd year of medical school, you'll have complete control over where you get to do your elective clerkships.

I won't presume to tell you what you should or shouldn't do... but transferring to an osteopathic program may be more trouble than its worth. It would make an already maxed out financial situation even worse and pushes you back a very valuable salary earning year in the future. We have a number of engaged (and even married) couples in our class that are making it work long distance. And not to sound cruel, but if he's in law school he's going to be just as tied up with schoolwork as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, in the grand matter of things please take my advice as a matter as if it were but a grain of salt.

But I would say just stay where you are at. I know it's not fair, but I imagine transfering from an MD to a DO school would cause you a lot of paper work nightmare. And they might make you start over again, which is going to be unfair.

You are a first year student you said. Well consider this, by your third year, you could probably rotate to Florida and do rotations there. So just duke it out where you are right now. Besides, just think about all the energy it takes to start over again. You'd have to say goodbye to the school you are at. And then start making new aquaintences to the school in Florida (NSU or BLECOM)

Also, have you considered transffering into an MD school in Florida? That might be better for you since I imagine it would be less paperwork nightmare..

Best of wishes
C&C

You can transfer call the school that you are interested in transfering to and get on it. Only then will you know what you need to do, how much time and money spent. Call the school or schools and find out. Good luck

Also, have you considered transffering into an MD school in Florida? That might be better for you since I imagine it would be less paperwork nightmare..

Best of wishes
C&C

I have a feeling the OP 's SO is closer to U of Miami, which does not accept transfers under any circumstances. Best wishes OP!

I worked with a med student this year who transferred from a MD program to the DO one, but I think that she had to start over.

I'd stay in the MD programs...I found it really difficult in certain fields as a DO applying to rotate in allopathic hospitals and applying to residencies, especially if you want to do the San Francisco Match. Some allopathic programs tried to charge 1000.00 to me to rotate at their hospital. I had the excuse we have DO residents, but your school isn't LCME accredited. I would stick in the MD program in the US and if you want to learn OMT, just do that fellowship for MDs in OMT. I thought I wanted to do Primary care, but after 3rd and 4th year, loved all the subspecialties rather than straight IM. But to give yourself the most opportunity, I'd stick where you are...plus you'd waste a year and just incur more debt. I also been told at some top programs that "they were still old school" and have not taken a DO in the past and don't plan on it anytime soon, but the secretary said, check back in a few years. On the other hand, there are plenty of other top allopathic programs for residencies that welcome you with open arms as a DO.

I do love being a DO however, to be honest, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't switch, you'd end up in the same place with less debt. You'll be a good primary care physician no matter what, its just if you read or not. Your degree won't impact anything, just do more FP or IM rotations 3rd and 4th year rather than all the specialties.

Just email the admissions and dean of the schools you're interested in and explain your situation... the only way to get a definate answer.

i've seen dpm switch to do that started with 2nd year at NSU.