MD to DO transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading posts here, I understand it is quite difficult to transfer into a DO program from an MD program. However, I am still interested in making an attempt. Can anyone give me suggestions as to which schools might be most willing to accept an MD student into 3rd year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think any of the 20 DO programs would accept you as a 3rd year student. most of the OMM/osteopathic principles classes are in the 1st 2 years and those are required prior to clinical. why the desire to switch at this point? the hard part is behind you already.

Coming from a DO student and current PA, I have seen both sides of the river. The DO side looks pretty much just like the MD side except for the manip. And personally, I think you could learn manip on your own if you wanted to badly enough. If you are looking for a different philosophy altogether, don't look to DO world to find it. I see no real difference other than the manip. You could join a DO practice when you are done, as most would embrace an MD. And there are many MD's who practice manip these days. I would just finish up and then develop any practice style you wish.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
pinot - WHY?

Just curious.

Oh...here's an idea though. Some osteo schools (like OUCOM) have an affiliated hosptial right next to the med school, so....you could feasibly do 3rd and 4th year rotations while concurrently taking OMM with the MS-I's and MS-II's. I don't see why they couldn't do this. Here at OUCOM, OMM lab only meets once per week for 2 hours -- I'm sure that could be fit into your clinical schedule.

Just thinking out loud. Anyway...good luck.

Thanks for the idea, Teufelhunden-
As for my reasons -- I'm not happy with the school I'm in now and am thinking of transferring. Since I'm hoping to go into Rehab, DO sounds like an attractive option..

Finish your MD.

Do graduate work if you really want to learn OMM.

Get a residency in PM&R or whatever field interests you, then look to take some courses to learn manipulation.

Best of luck.

Yeah, your best bet at this point is to finish the MD, then take courses in OMM afterwards.

There are MD's who have done that; in fact, one of our OMT instructors last semester was an MD.

Fenrezz

I see you removed your Fins icon.

Must be jealous...I'm an Eagles fan! ;)

Well, I figured since the season is officially over any further display of the Dolphins logo is unwarranted. Especially since they suck ass and their coach would struggle in a battle of wits with wallpaper.

Ricky lives on, however! Next year the NFL better prepare for the onslaught from South Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually predicted an Eagles/Dolphins superbowl where the Fins would win 77 - 0, but so much for that.

Now that I'm an Okie, I have to go out and purchase a cowboy hat, oversized Wranglers with matching 10-pound belt buckle, and pair of shytkickers. Okies are like vampires, they wear down your will to resist until they can make you one of them.

:D

I'm almost 100% percent positive that there is an MD at KCOM doing a OMM fellowship. He did finish a MD program, etc. That was smart.

I also knew of an MD, a few years ago, that was doing post-doc training at PCOM.

Definately possible.

pinot,

i'll trade with you... you can have my DO degree, i'll take your MD degree. makes my life easier. :)

MD doing postdoc training at PCOM?

That is unheard of.. What specialty?

gas-x, can you elaborate on your post if u weren't kidding? susan