MD vs. DO thread-- Final Resting Place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably not a liar, just really incompetent. If he had only taken the time to look at statistics he would have seen that Health Science majors perform the worst of any group on the MCAT, slighty behind Biology majors. Makes you wonder how they pick advisors, huh?

Yeah, us HS majors didn't do quite so hot on the MCAT's. I had 3 other friends who took it with me, and we were all HS and did mediocre. And I like to think I'm not a complete nitwit.

And as for how they pick advisors, I'm convinced they have a faculty meeting, and whoever is late or skips the meeting is stuck as an advisor for the next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, us HS majors didn't do quite so hot on the MCAT's. I had 3 other friends who took it with me, and we were all HS and did mediocre. And I like to think I'm not a complete nitwit.

And as for how they pick advisors, I'm convinced they have a faculty meeting, and whoever is late or skips the meeting is stuck as an advisor for the next year.

:laugh:

The advisors are the people who couldn't make the position they're advising for. ;)

Ain't that a b***h?

One of the things I have dreaded the most since starting the pursuit of a medical education is my peer group. I have met many wonderful people in undergrad but have also met plenty that border on the psychopathological. It would seem to me that the more extereme personalities would tend to gravitate toward MD programs. This is a major factor in my interest in going to a DO program.

I was just wondering if this assumption was correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

You cannot make that assumption simply because there are odd personalities in every professional field. There will be awesome people at MD schools and there will be a-holes at DO schools. The trick is to grow a tough skin and just avoid people with negative attitudes.

You should NOT mention this in your applications or interviews because it is not a very mature factor to decide which medical school to attend.

One of the things I have dreaded the most since starting the pursuit of a medical education is my peer group. I have met many wonderful people in undergrad but have also met plenty that border on the psychopathological. It would seem to me that the more extereme personalities would tend to gravitate toward MD programs. This is a major factor in my interest in going to a DO program.

I'm going to an MD school, and I know quite a few people who are, and I don't think any of us have any (known) psychopatholoical tendencies. I don't think it's fair to think that anyone who does MD is automatically a gunner (or nuts). Not only am I one of the most social people I know, but I also want primary care, and that doesn't mean I should automatically go D.O. But then again, if you think the D.O. philosophy/mindset is more aligned with yours, then go for it. Just don't say you want a D.O. because you're "normal" (none of us are).

no.

You cannot make that assumption simply because there are odd personalities in every professional field. There will be awesome people at md schools and there will be a-holes at do schools. The trick is to grow a tough skin and just avoid people with negative attitudes.

You should not mention this in your applications or interviews because it is not a very mature factor to decide which medical school to attend.
+1

Who knows

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't.

There isn't any hard data anyone has collected in this regard...

Not everyone is nice at DO schools that I can give you some hard data on.

I've met a couple of people who weren't the nicest apples during my time as a premed, but I wouldn't call them sociopath. At most, they might be selfish - refusing to share notes, not helping out with problem sets or homework, or not doing their part in lab projects - but for the most part, I think most people in the medical field are a bit nicer than the ones in business and research.

Business and Law, as you might be aware, is really cut-throat and competitive. Research is that way too, especially when it comes to the limited grants and funding that they might receive. I've heard of nightmare stories from people working in business and research, and they're not quite as bad as the ones in medicine. Medicine, I think is a bit more teamwork and personality oriented, so for the most part, the people who get into medical school are the "nicer" ones instead of the DB's that cheat and sabotage other premed's work.

"Malignancy"??

I don't understand these rash MD vs DO characterizations. 'MDs are pill pushing, gunner jerkoffs' where 'DOs are really cool, and experienced in life, and non-gunners.' Blanket statements are never accurate. You could find a ton of gunner jackasses at DO schools and a ton of super cool, non-gunner people at MD schools. Especially with admission standards nearing equilibrium.

It would seem to me that the more extereme personalities would tend to gravitate toward MD programs. This is a major factor in my interest in going to a DO program.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

good one.

Yeah no, trust me. We've got plenty of extreme personalities here. I just avoid them like the plague.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, this is a pretty silly thread. you can't say all people that go to school A have a, b, and c characteristics, while all people that go to school B have x, y, and z characteristics.... c'mon people.

*shakes head*

Everyone's already said what needs to be said, but I'd also like to point out that this thread title makes no sense.

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Once in undergrad I met I met this guy who was going to a community college in the same city. This community college had a reputation for enrolling students who couldn't get in to the school I was going to.

Anyway, after recognizing that I went to the competitive university and he went to the community college he said to me "So that means you may be more book smart but I'm more street smart."

True story.

Once in undergrad I met I met this guy who was going to a community college in the same city. This community college had a reputation for enrolling students who couldn't get in to the school I was going to.

Anyway, after recognizing that I went to the competitive university and he went to the community college he said to me "So that means you may be more book smart but I'm more street smart."

True story.

People say that sort of stuff all the time. It seems as though if you have been accepted to a graduate program of some kind (especially in the science fields) people assume you are a complete imbecile when it comes to social interactions or common knowledge.

I encountered this with an older gentleman who was a cashier at our university bookstore.

Him: "Oh, I see you are buying the Illiad. What is your major?
Me: "Bio-medical Sciences"
Him: "Well, that is very good that they make you take classics courses as well as science ones. Science majors are always so square. So many science people you talk to cannot carry on an intelligent conversation about good literature. They seem completely oblivious to the fine arts."
Me: "Yes, well it seems comparable to trying to discuss the Citric Acid Cycle with a classics major."
Him: *blank stare*
Me: "Have a good day"

Nope your assumption is not correct. We pre-meds/med students are all at least moderately crazy. Especially those of us who frequent this website. We are so crazy that even when we get that brief opportunity during the day to get away from medicine, which consumes us completely, we choose to spend it on this website about medicine.

Seriously, there is no way to know the answer to your question. Some schools have a more laid back environment than others. Some schools will breed gunnerism more so than others. During the interview process i noticed that alot of the DO schools were pretty laid back. However, there were a couple of MD schools that were laid back as well. A couple of the DO schools were not laid back at all. My advice is to apply broadly and find a place that is a good fit for you.

People say that sort of stuff all the time. It seems as though if you have been accepted to a graduate program of some kind (especially in the science fields) people assume you are a complete imbecile when it comes to social interactions or common knowledge.

I encountered this with an older gentleman who was a cashier at our university bookstore.

Him: "Well, that is very good that they make you take classics courses as well as science ones. Science majors are always so square. So many science people you talk to cannot carry on an intelligent conversation about good literature. They seem completely oblivious to the fine arts."
Me: "Yes, well it seems comparable to trying to discuss the Citric Acid Cycle with a classics major."

:laugh:

I don't think it's fair to think that anyone who does MD is automatically a gunner (or nuts).

I always thought that any serious pre-med or med student had to be nuttier than a Payday bar.

/definitely nuttier than a peanut bar
//but master of arcane and useless trivia.

I thought this thread was about DO students being more likely to grow tumors...

I've heard that a DO degree would give you some disadvantage when applying for competitive residency. Have you had some experiences to speak for/against this?
If DO students learn same stuff MD students do (plus additional training in OMM), then what are some reasons that residencies favor MD over DO?

what are some reasons that residencies favor MD over DO?

First off, it's really important to note that the reason that residencies favor MDs over DOs is that DOs aren't real doctors. DO is shortened from the , Americanism; Voodoo, earlier versions: vandoux, vandoo Or, if you wanna go WAY far back: a West African source perh. akin to Ewe vodũ demon
thinsp.png

:lame: Incase you were wondering: that smiley is called "lame"

:p

First off, it's really important to note that the reason that residencies favor MDs over DOs is that DOs aren't real doctors. DO is shortened from the , Americanism; Voodoo, earlier versions: vandoux, vandoo Or, if you wanna go WAY far back: a West African source perh. akin to Ewe vodũ demon
thinsp.png

:lame: Incase you were wondering: that smiley is called "lame"

:p

pwned

Nope your assumption is not correct. We pre-meds/med students are all at least moderately crazy. Especially those of us who frequent this website. We are so crazy that even when we get that brief opportunity during the day to get away from medicine, which consumes us completely, we choose to spend it on this website about medicine.

Agreed.

You have to be crazy to want to go through medical school, both MD and DO.

I apologize if someone has already asked this before but, with all of the things that have said in this thread thus far,

Is it possible (whatever low probability it might be) to transfer from an MD school to a DO school? What about from a DO school to an MD school?

(yes yesI know schools can't technically be "DO school" or "MD school" but I didn't feel like writing DO awarding school and MD awarding school :laugh:)

Is it possible (whatever low probability it might be) to transfer from an MD school to a DO school? What about from a DO school to an MD school?
)

DO to MD --> as long as both "schools" agree, it can be done
MD to DO --> as long as both "schools" agree, MD student would have to make-up OMM missed in years 1-2.

I say "schools" because you need a spot, both dean approval, ect, ect.

Anyone who has a problem legitimizing the DO profession needs an anthropological history lesson. Read Hans Baer's "Biomedicine and Alternative Healing Systems", specifically, Chapter 3, entitled "Osteopathic Medicine as a parallel Medical System".

Ahh...the power of hegemony.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W5...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA50,M1

The current debate (which, by the mere fact that this thread exits, demonstrates its persistence in the general public's views on medicine and healing) concerning the legitimacy of the allopathic vs. osteopathic curricula is, I feel, the product of years of arrogance and pompousness on the part of the American Medical Association. Read the entire article before you disagree or agree with me. Now of course, this isn't the only reason why we have discussions like this. Some may claim that, by resisiting assimilation into the allopathic realm, the osteopaths only perpetuated its separation from what the public deem "real medicine". I have thoughts on this as well, but this is not the forum for that.

As for applying, do your research, both current and historical, and apply to the schools that truly fit your philosophical, economic, and personal viewpoints/statuses...regardless of the degree letters given.

And I strongly, strongly suggest taking anthropology or sociology classes on culture, health, illness or complementary healing systems, if your univsersity offers it.

removed content because I completely misread the situation.

I apologize if someone has already asked this before but, with all of the things that have said in this thread thus far,

(yes yesI know schools can't technically be "DO school" or "MD school" but I didn't feel like writing DO awarding school and MD awarding school :laugh:)

If one were to transfer from a DO to the MD school, wouldn't one need a legitimate reason to transfer to the MD school besides perhaps getting closer to a spouse? I ask this question because one of my friend's sister's friend (lol) is doing this and I didn't think you could. But, I don't know if she has been successful so far :)

As a general rule, never attend a medical school expecting to transfer from it. :thumbdown:

Unless you have a VERY good reason.

you ended up writing "do awarding" and "md awarding" anyways, and in a whole sentence to even explain why you didn't just write that in the first place. i don't really have a point to make. just wanted to say i thought that was funny. trying to avoid work but then doing extra anyways.

I LOL'ed.

I always thought that what comes after your name such as MD or DO would do a great part while practicing.. and as i was searching for more info about DO's, it lead me to a forum of people with different disease, and there it goes again, another MD vs DO thread... after reading it, I realized that patients do not really care whether what comes after your name, for all they care is get them self treated... and surprisingly most of them prefer a DO... well i think this really is for people who is hesitant for applying to DO school... thinking that the initial letters MD would make them a better doctor than a DO.. that goes for me as well.. and i was wrong.. here is the link to the website i read... maybe some other PRE-MED can think again and consider the DO route too...

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=29&m=897992

AND THESE PEOPLE ARE PATIENTS...

Not surprisingly, there were also people in that thread who preferred MDs or had no idea what a DO was.

Basically what I expected to read.

yes thats true... those people who didnt know what DO was searched what it was, and had great comments about them from other people..

Doctors and doctors and patients are misinformed. I've ranted on this before when people say inane things like 'patients know DOs aren't gewd so won't see them,' because the reality is that patients are extremely misinformed about the entire process a physician took before seeing them that day. People will continue to see doctor's they like, regardless of the degree. You could find a few out there who only want to see DOs, or a few out there (probably more) who would prefer to see MDs, but most of the time, people see docs they trust/like. Also, people rarely know if their physician is a DO because DO = MD in practice.

My favorite quote:

"I would still tend to look at DO as practicing from a bone-oriented point of view before looking at other issues."

I know when I practice medicine I do it from a bone-oriented point of view :laugh:

I'm sure I'm going to feel like an idiot once I know, but what does TWSS stand for?

I like the clear response to the bleach lady on that forum above... I wonder who wrote it :cool::p