MD vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted950958

I’ve always wanted to go MD, but some poorer grades freshman and sophomore year have made my cGPA a 3.3 and my sGPA a 3.2. I am in a masters of physiology, where I have a 4.0 (that will continue after this semester). I’m really not sure if I should just go DO based on my undergrad GPA or try and do MD since my graduate GPA is very high and I have clearly demonstrated that I am capable at succeeding in graduate level science courses. I am really torn which I should do so that I don’t waste my time or money going to wrong direction. Any and all advice would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In your shoes I would apply for both, unless you know you want a competitive specialty.

I’ve always wanted to go MD, but some poorer grades freshman and sophomore year have made my cGPA a 3.3 and my sGPA a 3.2. I am in a masters of physiology, where I have a 4.0 (that will continue after this semester). I’m really not sure if I should just go DO based on my undergrad GPA or try and do MD since my graduate GPA is very high and I have clearly demonstrated that I am capable at succeeding in graduate level science courses. I am really torn which I should do so that I don’t waste my time or money going to wrong direction. Any and all advice would be really appreciated!
Is your MS in Physiology a research degree, or an SMP?

Did you have a rising GPA trend in JR and SR years?

If the former, MD schools will discount it; but DO schools won't.

Also, as a reinventor, even with an SMP, beggars can't be choosy and you need to have DO schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If the former, MD schools will discount it; but DO schools won't.

It is a research degree and I did have an upward grade trend.

And I’m very sorry but I’m not quite sure what you meant when you said MD schools will discount it, but DO schools won’t? If you wouldn’t mind clarifying I would really appreciate it.

It is a research degree and I did have an upward grade trend.

And I’m very sorry but I’m not quite sure what you meant when you said MD schools will discount it, but DO schools won’t? If you wouldn’t mind clarifying I would really appreciate it.
MD schools view research masters' as being grade inflated. Then there's the problem of trying to figure out how rigorous "Research Methods" or Seminars in Neuroscience" or "Journal Club" really are, compared to cournses in SMPs, which are the same as those taken by med students.

Reactions: 1 user
MD schools view research masters' as being grade inflated. Then there's the problem of trying to figure out how rigorous "Research Methods" or Seminars in Neuroscience" or "Journal Club" really are, compared to cournses in SMPs, which are the same as those taken by med students.

I understand now. I’m not sure where my degree fits in then. There is a non-thesis option that I was doing until I was offered a research fellowship to conduct research and write a thesis in a professors lab. I’m taking classes like biochemistry, physiology, nutrition, endocrinology, etc. I’m not sure if there are even research methods classes for my program.