• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

MD vs. DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctork10

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently on my second day of school at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was also just accepted to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine. One is DO and one is MD. I really liked both schools when I interviewed. I don’t know what to do. Have any advice?

About the Ads
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I am currently on my second day of school at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was also just accepted to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine. One is DO and one is MD. I really liked both schools when I interviewed. I don’t know what to do. Have any advice?
Who has the cheaper tuition?

If you're happy at MSU, and are happy with primary care, and it's less expensive, stay there.

But otherwise, more doors will be open to you at Stryker.

Do they have a teaching hospital ??

Sky138

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Do you want to learn OMM, take two sets of boards, deal with potential discrimination, and have to explain to people what’s the difference between DO vs MD for possibly the rest of your life?

Edit- completely forgot to mention the Nassar scandal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
D

deleted1051873

Do you want to learn OMM, take two sets of boards, deal with potential discrimination, and have to explain to people what’s the difference between DO vs MD for possibly the rest of your life?
90% of healthcare staff/patients/general population have a clue what the difference is & don't care. Make good grades, volunteer/research/leadership ECs, get the degree, pass the licensing, then do the exact same job!

Reactions: 2 users

Sky138

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2019
  1. Medical Student
90% of healthcare staff/patients/general population have a clue what the difference is & don't care. Make good grades, volunteer/research/leadership ECs, get the degree, pass the licensing, then do the exact same job!
Not sure why you replied to me lol. That being said if you go to an MD school that’s pass/fail, you not only don’t have to learn OMM but you only take one set of boards. So if they’re practically the same in the long-run, why should the OP take the path of greater resistance when he/she seems on the fence? Especially since the OP clearly states that he/she likes both schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
  1. Medical Student
I can think of plenty of reasons why one would choose a DO school - especially a wonderful one such as MSU (Nassar notwithstanding) - over an MD school. There are several in my class at TCOM who turned down an MD acceptance(s) to come to TCOM.

In most cases, I would probably have chosen MD. I won’t lie about that.

But if we’re going to be real, ya’ll are overexaggerating so hard you’d make even Reddit blush.

Going back to OP in particular, I don’t think 10k/year is a big enough difference to choose DO over MD if that’s the only reason you would do it - not location, not draw to OMM, not ties to faculty, etc. Western Michigan isn’t a particularly high-tier MD school and your mileage honestly probably wouldn’t vary much between the two of them, but, all things nearly equal, I’d probably choose W. Michigan.

Reactions: 2 users

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Virginia
  1. Medical Student

90% do not know the difference. Staff, sure, but not patients or general population. Maybe 1/3 know the difference. A large portion see DO and ask for the doctor expecting an MD. That sad there is minimal difference and essentially no clinical difference.

If OP is happy at MSU, then stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.