Western COMP (DO) vs CNU (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oligarchs578

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on which school to choose between Western Pomona and CNU. I am grateful to be sitting on both acceptances and would like to make a decision soon. Currently, I am interested in diagnostic radiology and anesthesia. I realize that Western Pomona is a DO school, but it seems like a safe bet compared to CNU and the problems I am often hearing of regarding the school. With my current interests, what would be recommended in this scenario? I am a CA native so I would like to match back into CA, although I do realize that may not be possible with the more competitive specialties. Any advice would be very much appreciated in helping me make this deicion. Thank you so much, as always.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough decision, one thing to note - are you taking out loans? As u might know, CNU only does private loans vs the federal loans from western U, something to consider

Reactions: 1 user
This is a tough decision, one thing to note - are you taking out loans? As u might know, CNU only does private loans vs the federal loans from western U, something to consider
I am very fortunate to have some help with tuition, but definitely not the entirety. I will probably be taking out 2 years' worth of loans strictly for tuition, but have enough savings to pay for the 4 years of COL myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how dead set you are on anesthesia/DR. CNU is kinda sketchy but an MD is an MD... you will have an easier time matching into one of those specialties with MD after your name, assuming CNU stays alive.

If you are still undecided, leaning towards something less competitive, WesternU is a great DO school

The decision is ultimately up to you, but here are some reasons for why I would choose WesternU if I was in your shoes:

1) WesternU COMP and their Lebanon campus both had a 100% match rates this past year (which is impressive considering their class sizes) compared to CNU's 97% match rate. Western's matches over the years have included DR and anesthesiology (it does seem though that more people matched in primary care)
2) WesternU is established in California (been around for 40+ years) which means more CA residency directors may have favorable views and connections to this school. In contrast, CNUCOM is new and has been "controversial" to say the least in the minds of many students and healthcare professionals.
3) WesternU is non-profit, while CNUCOM is for-profit. I would suggest watching this video to get a background on why for-profit educational institutions are risky:
4) There is a potential that CNUCOM could close down in 1-2 years due to their LCME probation accreditation standing. It is an unstable school which is something I would not pursue in my good conscience.
5) Feel free to read this thread from 2 years ago if you haven't. The news articles and contentions are still valid: California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!