MD wants to Do MPH.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_ahmi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) I am an IMG , wants to do MPH, please let me know that i must have to do GRE or there are schools who waive this test, will be very much thank ful for ur reply,
Thankss in advance,:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

The GRE is pretty much required no matter what. I dont see how the schools could disregard the GRE simply b/c you're an IMG. In addition you may have to take the TOEFL. Definitely call up the schools and see what their policy is. Some schools accept the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
The GRE is pretty much required no matter what. I dont see how the schools could disregard the GRE simply b/c you're an IMG. In addition you may have to take the TOEFL. Definitely call up the schools and see what their policy is. Some schools accept the MCAT.

Actually Mike many school of public health have "professional enhancemnt programs" which offer MDs, NPs, DOs, DDSs and even DCs and JDs admission based on their previous credentialing. I have even seen a DVM admitted (although he was serving as a rural health department administrator at the time. BTW - he was actually the best student I had as a TA). In any event, I think the "hang-up" for the OP will be the foreign degree.

Quoting the University of Illinois at Chicago SPH website (altough the program is offered elsewhere) -

"Most applicants are required to submit GRE scores. Exceptions may include the following, depending on the specific division policies:

- applicants with a graduate or professional degree at the doctoral level (e.g., PhD, ScD, MD, DDS, DO, DVM, JD) from an accredited U.S. or Canadian school, provided the prior training is relevant to the basic field of the Division of application and as determined by the policies of the Division;
- MPH applicants with the above-stated degrees from foreign schools whose applications are sponsored by an accepted referral service, such as AFGRAD, AMIDEAST;
- physicians who have been accepted into either of the joint occupational residency programs and physicians who are licensed to practice in the U.S.
- applicants to a dual degree program may be able to submit scores from a test other than the GRE depending on the program (e.g., MCAT for medicine/public health combined degree program).

Applicants seeking a waiver from the GRE testing requirement must submit the application in sufficient time to take the GRE?s and to have the scores sent to the School by the application deadline, in the event the requested waiver is denied. The basis of a request for waiver must be stated in a cover letter."

- H

Fought - I meant to imply that his foreign MD would mean he has to take the GRE. I know that many PH schools dont require it if you have an MD/DO from a aamc/aacom school.

U of Iowa takes the MCAT in lieu of GRE for the MPH program only....if you wanted MS or PhD in Epi, Biostat, etc, then you must take the GRE. Best of luck!

Cheers.

Thankss for all of , i will try my best to appear in GRE, if i get the time, cause my residency is not not letting me to take time, Examik, i am an US citizen, so TOEFL is out of question.